Ideal Storage & Display Conditions?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

Since starting collecting again in January I have started thinking what the ideal storage and display conditions are for Graded MOC's and would appreciate people's opinion. I have heard many different suggestions like displaying figures flat to take stress off the bubbles, storing figures in temperature controlled rooms (not sure what the optimal temperature is for MOC's) and of course keeping them out of direct sunlight.

Thanks for your help

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Just use common sense. Keep them in a room with a pretty constant temperature and humidity. Afa cases offer some uv protection but since we all know you collect rare MOC's it might be sensible to keep them out of direct sunlight, or add some extra uv protection to the windows.

Uninsulated lofts and garages arent ideal but plenty of people do store their collections this way without problems.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Out of direct sunlight is number one priority, even UV tinting film let's some UV through (I have non-SW items affected over several years despite film being applied to windows). Humidity is number 2, I use a small dehumidifier to keep moisture levels down and temperature is number three, keep it mid level and consistent without extremes (particularly high heat).

Finally try to use LED lighting (although if lighting is only used occasionally it's not as important as if it's on all day every day).

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Dannywhiteley said:
Out of direct sunlight is number one priority, even UV tinting film let's some UV through (I have non-SW items affected over several years despite film being applied to windows). Humidity is number 2, I use a small dehumidifier to keep moisture levels down and temperature is number three, keep it mid level and consistent without extremes (particularly high heat).

Finally try to use LED lighting (although if lighting is only used occasionally it's not as important as if it's on all day every day).

Is the dehumidifier on all the time or intermittently, are there any negatives to using a dehumidifier.

I didn't realise artificial light could damage the figures does it have to be on all the time to cause damage and what type of damage would it cause?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Agree with Scott, a lot of it's common sense. Don't worry too much. As mentioned keep them out of sunlight, and away from heat sources. Normal heat fluctuations in your house even in mid winter shouldn't do any harm, prob only goes from between 15 to about 22 degrees C. And in summer in this country I don't think it gets hot or humid enough to harm them :wink:

Edit: Just wanted to add, if you live in an old or damp house it could be more of a problem. I used to live in a flat in a 120 year old building so I kept them high up where it's warmer and dryer away from the floor. Now I live in a warm, dry more modern house it's not an issue.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Do specific storage conditions (as in the environment they are stored in) cause bubble lifting or frosting of figures?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom