Risks in Showcasing your Collection?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

I have been thinking about putting a post up in the vintage showcase section showing my modest vintage collection so far are there any risks or negatives in doing this?

Thanks

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
I'm afraid there's always a risk Ralph, just be careful who you trust enough to show your collection to.
By showing the world your vintage items on any forum, you are basically advertising your valuables so make sure you are insured and have better than average security.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Definitely a NO NO!! :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1377.PNG
    IMG_1377.PNG
    53.9 KB · Views: 924

Gaz46&2

Padawan
I think as long as you don't freely advertise your address and location you'll be okay. It would also be prudent to make sure you don't leave any clues in the pictures that might give your address away. Its also a good idea to take photos fully-clothed, in case you accidentally capture a reflection of yourself in your underpants or worse.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Someone mentioned to me if you take pictures using your phone turn off your location as people can work out where the picture was taken if Location Services is on, I would never have thought of doing that!

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Gaz46&2 said:
I think as long as you don't freely advertise your address and location you'll be okay. It would also be prudent to make sure you don't leave any clues in the pictures that might give your address away. Its also a good idea to take photos fully-clothed, in case you accidentally capture a reflection of yourself in your underpants or worse.

When you say don't leave any clues in the pictures that might give your address away, like what?

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Gaz46&2 said:

When you say don't leave any clues in the pictures that might give your address away, like what?

Stop worrying too much just be vigilant.
Anybody who knows your name only has to make a phone call to a fellow collector and do an Internet search so just keep using your alias Derek.
Btw I remember you from the NEC when I had your Jawa sir as you were a friend of a friend.
Nice to see you on these boards mate.

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11141

Hopefully this link works, should tell you everything you need to know.

Joe

Grand Master
I think if you want to limelight then you should. After all, showing others your collection is something that every collector should be able to enjoy and not worry about.

Be careful what you post, sure..be careful of who you share your address with, absolutely..but do not let a "what if" type of fear control your decisions and stop you from sharing with other passionate collectors.

The advice in the thread that just got linked is a good place to start if you have genuine concerns and a mostly high value collection.

These days insurance seems a must and security cameras are quite cheap..

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
PulsarP said:
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11141

Hopefully this link works, should tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

I presume collection thefts are a very rare occurrence in the UK?

Palitoyman

Padawan
You make a very good point and it is something that every collector should be wary of, I have a display room which is locked when I'm not in it and also has a burglar alarm sensor linked to the house system.

I have shown about five people in total, friends I really trust, a couple of them just wanted to see the room and didn't really have an indication of the total value, they just asked about one or two items, strangely enough, their attention was drawn to my Palitoy factory sealed falcon which they see as the iconic toy. Their comments on my Palitoy MOC's were almost dismissive, which made me laugh a bit, "I remember that one" and "oh, you have two han solo's", not noticing the different sized heads.

Its just about being very careful really, when I buy things they are always delivered to my Mum's house for security, it just has to be as you know the value of Palitoy Moc's nowadays. I took the majority of my collection photos with a digital camera, hence not showing the location, that may be an option for you.

Anyway, if you decide to, look forward to seeing some of your photo's, I may put a few up as I haven't showcased for a while!!

Gaz46&2

Padawan
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Gaz46&2 said:

As someone else mentioned the location details within the pictures themselves. Any items in the background with an address on it, like a letter or a pill bottle.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thefts are rare but they do happen. It happened to me 10 years ago. I thought my collection was safer at my parents house because they are almost always in, and I lived on my own in London at the time and was out of the house 12 hours a day, which seemed much more risky. What I didn't consider is that I had lived in that house for 20 years and many friends knew where I lived. The thief had been to the house several times because he was a friend of my brother. He must have guessed or taken a chance that the collection was still there, or perhaps he could tell from my limelight photos as he knew what the house and my bedroom looked like.

I must admit it has spooked me from limelighting too much stuff. I don't mind showing individual items or small selections, but showing one photo of your entire collection is basically a shopping list for thieves, so I don't do it any more. Yes it is a shame as I have a pretty decent collection again and would like to show it, but as it has happened to me before I have good reason to be wary.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
Thefts are rare but they do happen. It happened to me 10 years ago. I thought my collection was safer at my parents house because they are almost always in, and I lived on my own in London at the time and was out of the house 12 hours a day, which seemed much more risky. What I didn't consider is that I had lived in that house for 20 years and many friends knew where I lived. The thief had been to the house several times because he was a friend of my brother. He must have guessed or taken a chance that the collection was still there, or perhaps he could tell from my limelight photos as he knew what the house and my bedroom looked like.

I must admit it has spooked me from limelighting too much stuff. I don't mind showing individual items or small selections, but showing one photo of your entire collection is basically a shopping list for thieves, so I don't do it any more. Yes it is a shame as I have a pretty decent collection again and would like to show it, but as it has happened to me before I have good reason to be wary.

Did you get any of your pieces back from the theft?

Did you catch the guy and prosecute him?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I got about 10 of the 70 back, the rest must have been sold although we only tracked down about 10 that had been. No he wasn't prosecuted, no evidence that he actually stole them despite the fact he had them in his possession. No idea why handling stolen goods wasn't enough for a prosecution. I was just thankful to find out what happened and get a few back.

Full story here if you want to read it:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10870&p=145446

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I got about 10 of the 70 back, the rest must have been sold although we only tracked down about 10 that had been. No he wasn't prosecuted, no evidence that he actually stole them despite the fact he had them in his possession. No idea why handling stolen goods wasn't enough for a prosecution. I was just thankful to find out what happened and get a few back.

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10868&p=145429

I'm not authorised to view that topic. :lol: :?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:

I tried to click the link but it says 'I am not authorised to read this forum' why is that?

AL_Bundy

Padawan
Wreck-It Ralph said:
edd_jedi said:

I tried to click the link but it says 'I am not authorised to read this forum' why is that?
I can't either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom