Vintage figure books!

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Hi guys does anyone own or has anyone read the following books?!

The ultimate guide to vintage Star Wars figures 1977-1985

Meccano to trilogo

Meccano trilogo handbook

I'm interested in buying these books but don't actually know too much of what they will be about or what content is in them.
Does anyone have these books or have read them and can give a bit of help on which are worth buying and which aren't?
Many thanks

Richard_H

Grand Master
Meccano to Trilogo handbook is on special at amazon and is available when the authors come to Dave Tree's farthest from. It is a series of images together with their rarity scales.

Is the first one the Mark Belomo book? Total **** and inaccurate

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I bought the Bellomo book a couple of years ago from Forbidden Plant when I got back into collecting vintage.
At first I thought it might be good to determine which figures I have from my childhood and to pick out the variants.
I have since found Lars' site which has been excellent in this regard.

Anyway, the book has some good photos of figures, vehicles, and play sets.
It's good for nostalgia purposes rather than an aid for collecting seriously.
There's a price guide, which is redundant. A small write-up on variants, which is brief.
Most of the text focuses on the character in the actual film rather than the figure itself.

If you're looking at the book as an aid for collecting then I wouldn't recommend it.
If it's just as a book for a trip down memory lane, then it fits the bill.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Cheers guys. Yes the first one i mentioned is the Bellomo book. I already have the below book,

"Star Wars": The Action Figure Archive by Stephen J Sansweet

and i love that book as seems to have every figures and playset in with info and the odd variant, but i didn't know if the Bellomo book has more or less info and pictures, and also dont really know what is in the other books either?
Is it worth buying the other two if i already own the above book?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Richard_H said:
Meccano to Trilogo handbook is on special at amazon and is available when the authors come to Dave Tree's farthest from. It is a series of images together with their rarity scales.

Is the first one the Mark Belomo book? Total **** and inaccurate

Thanks, are there images of every figure ever made ? and also are there images of the playsets and vehicles too?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Richard_H said:
Yes to figures. No to the others.

The other French book you listed covers all of the French products, promotions etc.

Hmm not too sure about the french one then,does the other meccano handbook have every variant in also?
Sorry for all the questions!

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Meccano to Trilogo is great. If you own this, you do not necessary need the handbook anymore.
"Made in Spain" is also worth to take a look at, if you're interested in spanish variant collecting.
Still, in my opinion, the ultimate source for SW Vintage Action Figures is the Kellerman book.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Alltooeasy said:
"Star Wars": The Action Figure Archive by Stephen J Sansweet

and i love that book as seems to have every figures and playset in with info and the odd variant, but i didn't know if the Bellomo book has more or less info and pictures, and also dont really know what is in the other books either?
Is it worth buying the other two if i already own the above book?

I love the Sansweet book, that was one of the things that got me back into Collecting. If you have that you don't need the Bellomo book, it's a nice book but it's more about the characters back story. I really want the Kellerman book but it goes for big bucks. I've heard that's the one to get. In fact a few of his books are meant to be good reads.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Here's my thoughts on some of the ones I have:

Serious Collecting/Collectors books:

Kellerman is the stand out book for Kenner
Made in Spain is the goto for Poch and PBP
Meccano to Tri-Logo for all things French
A new Proof is a must have for anyone even slightly interested in 2D pre-production (with the Cromalin Strikes Back due this year... hopefully)
Guerra Estellar II Star Wars is the one you need for all things Argentinian/Latin America

Introduction books:

"Star Wars": The Action Figure Archive this one sits close to the above as its very comprehensive, but it is fairly accessible for all
Star Wars from concept to screen to collectable everyone should own this book covers a little of everything and for many of us is the reason we collect at all. a classic.

Basic books:

The ultimate guide to vintage Star Wars figures 1977-1985 lots of pretty pictures, not well organised and a number of inaccuracies
Star Wars Collectables (Sansweet) a very simple but fun mini book
Star Wars 1,000 Collectibles Memorabilia & Stories another good overall book on collecting Star Wars memorabilia

There's also a small range of titles by Gus and Duncan that I don't yet own but would love to have on subjects like prototypes and cast items. There is also the Micro Collection book; on my wanted list too

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Ah yes, that Star Wars Collectibles book by Sansweet.
Very cool little book.

Attachments

• IMG_20170329_200958.jpg
    IMG_20170329_200958.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 651

hellhippie

Jedi Master
nice I thought I had most books but that sansweet one I still need .
even though every book has this or that going or not going for it I do love to have the books just to take my eyes off the internet when im in the mood for collecting reading

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Great information. I see there is an opportunity here for a Palitoy book? Hint hint to any of you palitoy experts :) I'd snap one up.

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
Woolyniner said:
Great information. I see there is an opportunity here for a Palitoy book? Hint hint to any of you palitoy experts :) I'd snap one up.

Same here 8)

Infact I think most of this board would.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
SAVORY100 said:

A new Proof is a must have for anyone even slightly interested in 2D pre-production (with the Cromalin Strikes Back due this year... hopefully)
Guerra Estellar II Star Wars is the one you need for all things Argentinian/Latin America

Introduction books:

"Star Wars": The Action Figure Archive this one sits close to the above as its very comprehensive, but it is fairly accessible for all
Star Wars from concept to screen to collectable everyone should own this book covers a little of everything and for many of us is the reason we collect at all. a classic.

Basic books:

The ultimate guide to vintage Star Wars figures 1977-1985 lots of pretty pictures, not well organised and a number of inaccuracies
Star Wars 1,000 Collectibles Memorabilia & Stories another good overall book on collecting Star Wars memorabilia

There's also a small range of titles by Gus and Duncan that I don't yet own but would love to have on subjects like prototypes and cast items. There is also the Micro Collection book; on my wanted list too

Wow never heard of any of those books! Where would i buy them? Especially the micro collction one as i did a simple amazon search and only a few results came back hence the ones i mentioned.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
One of my favourites is "Star Wars from concept to screen to collectable" really nice pictures, get this one 8)

The first book I owned was "Worldwide Star Wars Collectibles by Stephen J. Sansweet and T. N. Tumbusch" but I preferred the second edition that had a lot more colour pictures of loose figures

I picked up a copy of the "Kellerman star wars vintage action figures book" for me this was way too detailed, great if you are really into carded figures though, I bought mine about xmas 2003 from forbidden planet in covent garden on sale for £12.50 and then sold it on on ebay some years later and got £67 for it I think.

I think the action figure archive is a good all in one book if you only ever buy one though

enjoy
Andrew

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Alltooeasy said:
SAVORY100 said:

Introduction books:

Basic books:

Wow never heard of any of those books! Where would i buy them? Especially the micro collction one as i did a simple amazon search and only a few results came back hence the ones i mentioned.

Try Google, they come straight up...

Commander Clint

Padawan
Might be a little bias, but this is one of my favourite books on Canadian Stuff

Irwin Toys: The Canadian Star Wars Connection. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

img_8715.jpg

img_8714.jpg

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom