Attic Discovery- My kid's old Star Wars Toys

Rickskid

Youngling
Where do I start? Well I'm a 59 year old bloke from Lincoln whose two sons are now in their 30's and not bothered about their old toys that we have stored in our attic for years. My wife and I decided that as we could hardly move up there now days because of all the junk then it was time to have a clear out. Most of the old toys we came across (and mostly forgotten about) were in reasonable nick and even in their original boxes. Well of course we came across the extensive Star Wars Toys collection that our two boys bought with their pocket money from car boots around 1992 (and us as we of course paid for most of them as extras for them from the car boot sales etc). The difficulty is that we have no idea who bought which ones with their pocket money so we don't know what belongs to who. Generally this doesn't matter as neither of the lads are bothered about their old toys and have nowhere in their (rented) houses to keep them anyway. Also we now have a 5 year old Grandson who loves playing with all the retro stuff we have come across, such as Supervan City Micromachines, Matchbox Sky Busters, Mamod Steam Engines and so on.

My wife and I do attend toy fairs quite often as we collect Thomas the Tank Engine and Disney Cars toys for our GS, so we are aware how collectable the old Kenner Star Wars figures are. Well here's the problem do we let our GS play with all the Star Wars toys or not? If not what do we do with them. Some of the playsets like the Ewok Village and Slave i are complete and in boxes (which are far from mint but still intact) and most of the figures are stored in two Darth Vader Head storage cases with compartments for weapons. We ave two loose AT-ATs, Two Millenium Falcons, a Y Wing, most of a B Wing, all three versions of the Tie Fighter and so on. There is quite a bit of stuff.

I have just spent all evening sorting out the loose figures and I was surprised to find we have at least one of all the 77 original figures (about half of them have weapons) and several spares. We also have around half of the extra 17 figures, including the full Han Solo in Carbonite. I think we have all of the extra Ewoks and some of them twice, the trouble is the lads when playing with them swapped the hoods and belts around and it is difficult to tell which accoutrements go with which figure !

I'll post some pictures of the figures in the next few days when I have finished sorting them out so you all can have a look. Firstly I have a few questions though.

1. They have all been played with in the past so should I let our Grandson have them to play with?

2. Or should we set about working out how much they are worth?

3. Can we get replacement weapons and coats for Obi Wan, White and Brown Leah, Winter Storm Troopers, Lando, Bib Fortuna and a new Stormtrooper Helmet for Luke in the ST gear?

4. I think I would like to get the missing bits and display them in my study with all my Dinky and Corgi Diecast models but is this going to get expensive?

5. Would it be worth selling the doubles we have of AT-AT, Falcon, boxed Ewok Village, Ice Station Attack set and the complete boxed Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band to finance purchasing the missing weapons and coats to make good the first 77 figures?

6. The hardest part is trying to work out from a poor colour photocopy of the reverse side of a card, which weapon each figure should have. Is there a simple guide anywhere of the forum that would help with this please?

Sorry to have drivelled on for so long but this Forum seems tobe the go-to place for advice and the prices in the sales section look very reasonable and less of a rip-off that some of the eBay dealers. Hope some one can help.

Regards
Ian

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Sounds like there's no real emotional attachment to the toys so either let your grandson have them or sell them on and treat him to something else.
Your collection is likely worth a few hundred pounds.

For the most part, these days, the vintage toys are collectibles for display.
However, if your grandson knows about Star Wars then he will likely have a unique collection his friends will be in awe of.

jayums

Jedi Master
I think your collection sounds like it is worth several hundred pounds - the last 17 are particularly sought after - so I would sit on them until you've figured out exactly what you've got. There is a valuation thread on here, so I'd post good pics on there - condition is everything so impossible to sensibly value without them. As for weapons and accessories, they add a lot more value to the figures and in many cases are harder to get hold of than the figures themselves, so well worth sorting through.
Feel free to pm me a pic with the weapons laid out and I am happy to match them up with the right figures, or again post a pic on this thread - I'm sure folks will be happy to help.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Rickskid said:
1. They have all been played with in the past so should I let our Grandson have them to play with?

2. Or should we set about working out how much they are worth?

3. Can we get replacement weapons and coats for Obi Wan, White and Brown Leah, Winter Storm Troopers, Lando, Bib Fortuna and a new Stormtrooper Helmet for Luke in the ST gear?

4. I think I would like to get the missing bits and display them in my study with all my Dinky and Corgi Diecast models but is this going to get expensive?

5. Would it be worth selling the doubles we have of AT-AT, Falcon, boxed Ewok Village, Ice Station Attack set and the complete boxed Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band to finance purchasing the missing weapons and coats to make good the first 77 figures?

6. The hardest part is trying to work out from a poor colour photocopy of the reverse side of a card, which weapon each figure should have. Is there a simple guide anywhere of the forum that would help with this please?

Sorry to have drivelled on for so long but this Forum seems tobe the go-to place for advice and the prices in the sales section look very reasonable and less of a rip-off that some of the eBay dealers. Hope some one can help.

Regards
Ian

1. Many of the common figures with no weapons will only go for £2-3 so factor that into your decision
2. Yes. A search on ebay of sold figures or post photos here
3. Often it is cheaper to buy complete figures than the weapon alone. So many weapons were lost and that is where the money is. Beware there are thousands of reproduction weapons
4. Depends on the weapon. They range from £5 - £100
5. Yes. Some of the boxed items may go for good money
6. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weapons+star+wars+kenner+guide&safe=active&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=FDxptm_NpnO1NM%253A%253BQJ_HptQDvvbszM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fpin%25252F495818240208515591%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=FDxptm_NpnO1NM%253A%252CQJ_HptQDvvbszM%252C_&usg=__JbzkIZLdECYzsvX5dkMDVyDW-Q8%3D&biw=1600&bih=770&ved=0ahUKEwi92vnm6IfTAhUrK8AKHaLyByMQyjcIPg&ei=EgHiWL2JJqvWgAai5Z-YAg#imgrc=YXR3inzn8I6blM:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to the forum! As others have said already it sounds like as a whole you have hundreds of pounds worth at least, and you may even have individual figures worth £100+ alone. Posting photos would help greatly, even if it is just one group photo to start with.

Rickskid

Youngling
As promised here are some photos:

SW1.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWA.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWB.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWC.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWD.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWE.jpg
[/url][/img]

SWF.jpg
[/url][/img]

Cheers

Ian

Rickskid

Youngling
Whoops sorry about the images will try and post the images again when I get back from work. You can view them by clicking on the links though.

Cheers

Ian

Richard_H

Grand Master
Unfortunately there's nothing really exciting there. I don't know what Vader is holding but it's not his light saber. The Boba Fett may be a trilogo one. Take better pictures of that one. If it is it could be worth £80+. Some of the complete figures and droids without weapons are worth £10 - 15. Most of the figures without weapons are under £5.

spoons

Grand Master
a few last 17 on the right of one pic, but they blend into the background - any better photos of those?

Rickskid

Youngling
Thanks guys I'll take some close ups of the few last 17 figures we have tonight. We've got that big yellow Amerman figure with his stick as well somewhere. I think after discussing it with the family last night, we will sell all the boxed stuff, try and get what original weapons we can for the loose figures and resort to repro clothes and weapons where we can't get/afford originals.
Cheers
Ian

Joe

Grand Master
Saw this thread last night and intended to comment but forgot! I agree with those that have said it's best to part with it if your boys don't have any interest in it. Especially if the alternative is giving it to your grandchildren to play with!

There is a decent amount of money there from what I can see, even though some of the figures aren't complete.

I wouldn't worry about buying reproduction parts to complete figures though, it's more hassle than it's worth and repros aren't very welcome in this hobby so just sell them as they are.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Joe said:
I wouldn't worry about buying reproduction parts to complete figures though, it's more hassle than it's worth and repros aren't very welcome in this hobby so just sell them as they are.

Yes, adding a repro weapon or cape will actually have a negative aspect to a sale as genuine collectors hate the stuff, leave them as is if you are selling and save yourself time, hassle and money by not buying repro.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
And by leaving them repro-free you can state that they're directly from a childhood collection, which is something a lot of collectors find attractive; knowing that they're free from tampering.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom