Header image

When was the last time (first time round1) you spotted the original toys?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Tarkin's nosehair
Regular
Regular

Re: When was the last time (first time round1) you spotted the original toys?

Postby Tarkin's nosehair » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:27 am

I remember seeing the power of the force figures and last 17 around '86 with the big yellow and red £1.59 stickers in a toyshop in Fleet Walk Torquay. Saw the words Star Wars and stopped (well you do don't you?) and remember looking at Yak face and Amanaman and thinking " Saw the film loads of times and didn't remember seeing those guys, blimey they're just making 'em up now! I'm glad I don't collect them anymore". Those were the days before I had a video recorder. Needless to say i will be going back there once i build my time machine, can I get you anything? :lol:

jayums
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jayums » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 pm

maxf wrote:I actually saw some Jedi figures being sold in the early 1990s in Hunstanton (klaatus and Madines from memory), in a bargain bin at one of the tat shops. I went back when I started collecting in the late 1990s but they'd obviously long gone.

I went to school in Hunstanton, and I remember these! These were in the joke shop in a big bargain bin!! This would have been as late as 1995 I reckon (who says Norfolk is ten years behind the rest of the country lol), when my interest in Star Wars was probably at its lowest ebb (I was too busy pretending to be in oasis at that point). Definitely lots of klaatu, but I remember most of them being POTF cards. Don't remember the prices but wouldn't be surprised if it was 50p each or something like that. Oh for a time machine eh?!

Snaketibe
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 pm

One weekend during my days at university in 1991, I went for a day trip to London and went to Forbidden Planet. They had loads of Tri-logo carded figures, which were heavily biased in favour of the ewoks from the last 17, plus various pristine, brand spanking new Tri-logo boxed ships, including some AT-ATs. This was just a year before I discovered Sansweet's 'Star Wars: From Concept to Screen to Collectible' book and 2 years before I started collecting again, so at the time it was simply a nostalgic bit of window shopping for me. I might have been tempted to buy one or two bits anyway, but I remember being outraged at the thought of parting with (if memory serves), £7.99 for a figure and £50 for an AT-AT...

Of course if anyone would like to sell me a MISB AT-AT for £50 today, please get in touch :D

elcroz
Regular
Regular

Postby elcroz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Venezuela 1994
Wall to wall Jedi carded figures and Masters of the Universe figures too in a particular shop. I was 14
If only I ought the lot - they were literally selling for pence.

pizzathehutt
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby pizzathehutt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Christmas 1986 I got jabba playset, ewok glider and speeder bike and I have a photo of me eating cornflakes after I have opened them (that was the year I fractured my skull falling off a climbing frame so got spoilt)

I also remember going to the local model shop in the january sales of 87 and all they had left was stacks and stacks of the vehicle matenance energizer so I bought one. later that year I can remember us randomly stopping in Neasden and going into a newsagent and on shelf they had a rebel transport but my dad was like "no way! not for that price" I cant remember how much it was but seem to think it was not far off £45, that was the last time I saw them in the shops.

I don't ever remember seeing any last 17s in the shops but maybe that was because I'd moved on to thundercats and transformers by then?
Collecting vintage loose figures, ships and playsets since 1982.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:59 pm

A binfull of Klaatus in Carter's Toy Shop Bradford in 1991/2

Still got the same Klaatu today :)
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:22 pm

I remember our local market shop always had two or three shipping boxes of Jedi figs open down the far end of the shop on the floor around 83-85, I remember going there about once a month to flick through them like you used to with records and occasionally finding something I wanted , But they were nearly always jabba specials klaatu nikto ree yees think they were only 40 or 50 p at the time and remember thinking there must be some good one's soon but they were always 2 thirds full of all the usual above mentioned cards and always jedi never any others and the boxes were always full, shipping boxes cannot remember if they were Palitoy boxes or not but all the ships there that were for sale were always Kenner and sure all the cards were too never any Palitoy.
Years later about 92-93 I popped in there one day on the off chance and could not believe that there were 3 at-as's( 2 jedi forest and one empire snow,} and a slave one all fiver each I snapped them up as I was getting back into star wars at the time and said the usual " my son loves star wars do you have anymore about ????" but was told that was the last of it found in the stock room buried but was happy with the find. happy days!!
Found some klaatu nikto ree yees in bad shape in 1994 on a market stall for 50p each bought the last six they had, one was literally hanging off the card that was the last time I saw them in the cheap original wild :D
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I remember going into my local toy shop and their not being any MOC's. Asked the chap behind the counter when they were getting a new batch in, only to be told that they weren't making them anymore. :(

Very sad day. :lol:

Think it was around 1987?
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 pm

For me I think it was in a toy shop in Ham near Kingston called "Apple Town"

sparkysx
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby sparkysx » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 pm

1984, Woolworths, Harold Hill, bought some ig88's good times.

£1.49 FIGURES
New User
New User

Postby £1.49 FIGURES » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am

but certainly the last time I remember buying a figure was when I picked up Luke in Stormtrooper outfit for, as I recall, 49p, in Scotch Corner in Kilmarnock...

Yes, that was THE shop in Kilmarnock for the toys. I reckon that about 90% of my original SW toys came from upstairs in that amazing place. And, of course, it was there in either early 1983 or late 1982 when this bad boy came to visit...

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

£1.49 FIGURES
New User
New User

Postby £1.49 FIGURES » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 am

Tarkin's nosehair wrote:I remember seeing the power of the force figures and last 17 around '86 with the big yellow and red £1.59 stickers in a toyshop in Fleet Walk Torquay. Saw the words Star Wars and stopped (well you do don't you?) and remember looking at Yak face and Amanaman and thinking " Saw the film loads of times and didn't remember seeing those guys, blimey they're just making 'em up now! I'm glad I don't collect them anymore". Those were the days before I had a video recorder. Needless to say i will be going back there once i build my time machine, can I get you anything? :lol:

That's pretty much how I felt about all the random Ewoks that were springing up on cards by the time I left Star Wars collecting behind first time round. Seeing Paploo, Lumat etc and the Ewok Combat Glider and Village Playset in the shops just finished things off for me. It might have been different had I been a little bit younger and had seen the more exciting Last 17 figures that were sold - Stormtrooper Luke, General Lando, Imperial Gunner namely.

£1.49 FIGURES
New User
New User

Postby £1.49 FIGURES » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

[quote="scooternick"]Northern Spanish coast circa 1993'ish. 3 ewok hangliders, jabba and he man attack traks. Cleared them out of star wars!![/

Funnily enough, the next time I saw any carded figures after 1985 was when my little brother came back from a holiday in Tenerife with my Mum with 4 carded Tri logo figures that he had bought from a wee backstreet touristy shop for next to nothing. The shop owner had seen my brother looking in the window at one of them the day before so put the rest of the stock in the window - about another four cards worth - and the next day little brother went in and spent the remaining holiday money he had on them. He was still at school at the time so didn't have a lot of ready cash but bought what was there and left one double. He ended up giving one to his best mate (Hammerhead I think) and kept the others that were then sold at the end of the 90s to a Glasgow toy boutique for about £40 each when he was a skint student. It was quite a novelty in the mid nineties to see some carded figures, especially as I hadn't clapped eyes on any for a decade. I remember looking at the card backs with interest and noting that I hadn't known that they' released more figures after the early - mid 1984 Prune Face, Leia Combat Poncho etc wave.

Gaz46&2
Regular
Regular

Postby Gaz46&2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

sparkysx wrote:1984, Woolworths, Harold Hill, bought some ig88's good times.

I live near there. I think Woolies is now an Iceland.

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Woolies where I live is now a 99p store. How sad.
It used to be two floors when it was Woolworths.
The last Star Wars related item I bought there was a 12" Dengar around 2004.
Interestingly, there's a huge, closed Woolworths warehouse not too far away in Crick.
One has to wonder if there's anything tucked away...

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”