Header image

Moderator Announcement

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Moderator Announcement

Postby grinchy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks for the hard work you've put in to keep this place going, and nice work on the poem Mike :D
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Really appreciate all the comments guys (and the poem Mike!) it was nice to read through these today. Five years moderating..yikes, I didn't realise it had been quite that long!! I still remember Ryan's amazing art depicting me as 8D8 trying to ban everyone & lock all the threads :lol:

SWF has always been my virtual home and even though I'm not as active as I once was, I can't foresee that changing (I think I'll always pop back in from time to time). For those that have asked if all is "OK" - yes all fine here and nothing to worry about, thanks guys. Hobby wise, it's another story sadly. After so many years the unimaginable has happened to me, my relationship with Star Wars has finally lost it's spark.

If I am honest, I'm not quite sure how I feel about collecting these days. I almost feel kind of indifferent to it all and I have for a while now..which for me, is probably a sign that enough is enough.

As far as moderating SWF goes, I've given stepping down a lot of thought over the last few months but a couple of days ago I finally decided that it wasn't fair on the forum if I wasn't giving 100%, 80% or even 50%..especially if that was because of how I felt about things rather than me just being occupied with other commitments.

So, I guess it's a goodbye of sorts even though it may not be forever. Thanks to everyone for being such awesome members of what I consider the last..and best (!) SW forum in the galaxy! It was an absolute pleasure banning people, moving & locking threads and generally telling people to stop being dicks to each other for the last half a decade :lol: :) (I'm only joking!)
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:03 am

Bugger Joe,I had been wondering what was going on as I know you have not been anywhere near as active & involved on many of the star wars platforms not just this one, really gutted to hear the spark in star wars has waned for you & I hope at some point you can rekindle your love for it.

Regardless of star wars or no star wars, I do & always will regard you as a good friend.
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Please check out the baggie guide here - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15937

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 am

I didn't realize it was so serious Joe, really sorry to hear that you feel you've had your lot with Star wars for now.

I haven't really picked up much in the way of vintage SW for a while now myself and have only bought the odd modern figure from the new films, but it does feel almost like habit. I think with the way prices have been going that it's easy to lose interest in collecting as it does take some of the fun out of it and also after spending years just thinking about all things SW it's good to take a break from it every now and then. I've been having some fun collecting other toys recently and although my first love has always been SW I feel I've pretty much completed what I set out to do with it and it's nice to look in my cabinet at a diverse collection of vintage and modern toys. It's kept things fresh for me and I know you recently starting picking up some Ghostbusters items again so maybe you'll find something else of interest in this area.

All the best with what ever you decide to do and I'm sure you'll be keeping an eye on here and other places that you visit as it must be hard not to after giving so much time to it over the years. I'm not sure if the plan is for you to complete your book project but hopefully all the hard work's already been done and you can still put it out, it would be a shame for it not to with all the work I suspect you've already put into it.

As long as you and yours are all well and good then that's the main thing. There really are a lot more things out there that are important in life and when a hobby stops being fun it's time to have a rest from it or find something else that brings a smile to your face.

You'll be missed but I'm pretty sure you're not going to disappear.

Ian

jedi_masters
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby jedi_masters » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 am

Good luck Joe in all your future projects. You've served this forum well along side the other great moderators. Great job. :D
Looking for:

Star Tours items
Yoda- Pre Production items - vintage, modern, anything from any range.
Star Wars Books!!

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm

That's a real shame but you must do what you feel is right Joe. Life is most certainly not all about Star Wars and hobbies change and evolve over time... it's healthy. I remember having a chat with you on the walk to Celebration one morning about collecting and you said you had sold your trilogos and were moving in a different direction with it all. Thanks for your expertise and service to the forum and hobby. Great meeting you last summer and good luck in the future man, hope to see you again sometime :)

darth_daddius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby darth_daddius » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 am

All the best Joe. Sorry to see you leave mate, it was always good having another 'O'Brien' around - especially one that loved tri-logos as much as I did.

Cheers mate,
Pat
Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
My collection: (Here on SWFUK:) http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26200
(On RS:) http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1069480/

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Joe, although I know your interests have been drawn by some daft toys that didn't come out until SW had left the toy world (*tut* you're almost a modern collector now ;) ) it's still a bit of a shock to see you go. Stay in touch, mate. Get down to another FF sometime!

And make sure you check back to stop folks calling Yak Face rare!

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Sad news Joe. One of the good guys for sure.

You'll be back. We'll all be back! People will get fucked off with facebook and the forums shall rise again! :D

Stuart Skinner
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Stuart Skinner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:13 am

As others have already said, a real shame to see you go pal, one of the real good guys in the hobby, always happy to give advice and information. As far as MODs go you were always on the ball sorting everything, those others are going to have to really step up now to cover your work.

Sad to read you've lost the spark for Star Wars, hopefully one day it'll return, take care pal and don't be a stranger. X x x x x x x love you x x x
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-vintage-rebellion/id1001257470?mt=2

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am

Big loss to the forum, but we clearly all are hoping you stick around as a contributor if not a copper...
Always fair and always helpful - a real credit to this place.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:42 am

Stuart Skinner wrote: As far as MODs go you were always on the ball sorting everything, those others are going to have to really step up now to cover your work.

Andy, Emiel, I hope you're reading this! You two have to step up :wink: :lol:
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Sad to hear you have lost some enthusiasm for the hobby, over the years my interest has waned on occasions but always seems to come back after a while, other hobby's / interests keep my interests up as the more hobbies you have the more chance you have of finding cool items in the wild to keep the fun alive :)
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Checking in for Philly Airport to post this. Thanks for all the hard work you've done Joe. I'm sure you'll stick around.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Really sad to hear this. Please ban me one more time for old times. Don't go to far Joe- you will be deeply missed.
FAQ: Ugrading :evil: - http://powerofthetoys.com/afa/
https://www.facebook.com/starwarsforumukpodcast

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”