Help with authenticity of Bespin Security Guard MOC

artoo_cu2

Hi guys,

I've been away from collecting for a few years and was previously on here as artoo_cu (my ebay id) but must have changed my email address in the intervening years so I'm back on here as artoo_cu2. Unfortunately needs must, and I'm currently in the process of dissolving my remaining childhood and subsequent adult collection :( . Hence, I've got a number of sales ongoing on evil bay at the moment - loose figures, MOC graded and ungraded etc etc.

I've currently got a Bespin Security Guard MOC up that has been queried by an ebayer called jedisithlord (someone known on here?). It's here at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292082370752?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'd never knowingly put up for sale a fake or recard and I'll happily take this down if the consensus is that this isn't 'right'.

I've looked at this one in detail before, mainly to assure myself it wasn't a repro card, because the chromalin overprint of the ESB lettering seems to have caused a red square block background 'bleed' on both front and rear of the card. However, I believe this is actually a period correct flaw from the printing process. The other thing that convinces me this is 'right' is who would go to this much trouble to distress a card with price sticker damage for a bespin security guard???

In the additional notes on my ebay description I state the checks I've made, namely: -
Variant checked & not present on Jason Smith's (Mr Palitoy) 'Toy Toni' fake MOC matrix (GM45A is but not 45B)
45B cardback variant with correct front & rear checked against <freewebs dot com/mrpalitoy>
Correct double stemmed bubble without footplate
Bubble yellowing indicative of age
Evidence of uniform 'pressure outline' on rear due to bubble seal process
Significant price sticker removal marks on front
Correct card thickness & overall 'feel'

Full Conversation with jedisithlord: -
Q: Hm.. You sure this is not re-seal? Doesn't look legit to me.
A: Hi, Can you explain why you think this? I've explained the checks I've made in the additional notes and on what my honest opinion is based. What makes it look 'wrong' to you? Thanks. Tony.
Q: No footer, bubble seems new/too transparant, no waffle pattern, no tape residue in bubble etc.
A: Hi, Check out Mr Palitoy's website on this 45B cardback. These were the first to ship with double stems & no footplate. Bubble is yellowing along the right edge - as I state in specifics. Waffle pattern is not present but this is only definitive for early figures. The smooth seal with pressure marks on cardback are right for 45B. Weapon would have been held not taped. I've had a number of MOC cards and been stung by reseals myself. All I can say is I don't believe this is one. Tony.
Q: Placement of bubble looks wrong too. Too much to the left.
A: Hi, Many bubbles were misaligned to the cardback as the factory settings for the sealing process weren't always changed promptly/correctly. The fact it's misaligned actually gives me more confidence that it's 'right'. Tony.

What do you guys think? Any & all views welcome - preferably before the sale ends on 10pm on Monday - so I can decide whether to withdraw it or let it go. Thanks in advance!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Looks fine to me, I think he's talking bollocks. These bubbles often didn't have footers, and the fact it's clear means nothing, loads of bubbles are still clear. Also the left alignment is a good thing, it was Toy Toni who put his bubbles dead centre over the race tracks.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
It's fine that mate, no disrespect but its not really one you would bother to fake. You don't really get the same problem with Palitoy as you do Kenner recards and it's defo not a toy toni.

These cards/bubbles didn't have taped weapons, or footers. And most of this bubble type have stayed crystal clear - although this one does actually appear to have a slight tint anyway (funny that yellow bubbles are now seen as a sign of authenticity by many). They also had slick seals.

I'd just block him and not waste any more time on him.

artoo_cu2

Thanks guys. My feeling was always why bother on a card like this. But it's been a while since I've been collecting in earnest so I just needed a few more eyes to reassure me that I wasn't missing something. Cheers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom