R5-D4 / R2-D2 What to pay?

r5-d4cus

Padawan
Ok. So I've introduced myself on the intros thread (hi), and I've added a post to the wanted forum. I've requested access to the swf facebook group as well. I've been lurking on here for a while (having started reading about Toy Toni and other various scammers originally on rebelscum) and have taken the plunge to get more involved as it seems a nice community and people are really helpful :D

I'm into my astromechs and have a decent number of modern droids, but I've been thinking more and more recently that I'd appreciate a couple of vintage items in my collection. I've already got a couple of nice condition vintage loose figures and I want to get what I would consider one or two expensive central display MOC items to go with the rest of my figures (probably getting on for sixty or so of them now).

I know there are a huge amount of variables that go with assessing the value of a MOC figure, but I wanted to know if there are any resources or ball park figures I could use when looking for items online, on forums, on ebay etc. I'm thinking in terms of general value for cardback versions for example, so I don't end up spending a fortune on something that's readily available.

If the answer to this rambling post is 'go and do your homework' or 'check what ebay sold listings are' that's absolutely fine, although from reading on here ebay isn't necessarily the best place to understand the VALUE of an item, more what casual collectors (like me probably) are willing to pay. If I do need to go out and learn about what's good/bad value, what to look for/avoid, if you could point me in the right direction for resources that cover this in detail that would be great.

Or alternatively if you want to sell me something that will simplify things even more 8)

Richard_H

Grand Master
As a general rule for average condition R5:

SW - £200-250
ESB - £250
ROTJ - £120-180
Trilogo - £150-200

but you're correct. There are rarer variations in there which will cost more. Also, you can pick up for less. For example, I got 77bk for £80.

coomber75

Sith Lord
just sold mine for 70 sorry dude dudnt see this till today... so stuff is out there at nkt crazy money just be patient and you will get it :D

r5-d4cus

Padawan
Dammit! I'm happy to play the long game, that's part of the fun of collecting.

Anyone have any info on R2-D2, that'd be great.

lejackal

Grand Master
r5-d4cus said:
Dammit! I'm happy to play the long game, that's part of the fun of collecting.

Anyone have any info on R2-D2, that'd be great.
Add on 1-200 for a SW card, similar ballpark to R5 for ESB and Jedi and £150 should get you a mint Trilogo

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes you should be able to pick up a nice Jedi or Trilogo R2 Sensorscpe for around £100 with a little luck.

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I've just seen this listing on ebay for a tri-logo r2 with sensorscope. I'm trying to get better pics of the seller but for £99 should I have a pop? Bubble looks a bit battered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252869812590?euid=aae3e626b5fe4b79a35ecddbf9692883&bu=43162866185&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Hard to tell from the terrible photos but yes assuming the bubble is just a bit dented and not cracked/lifting etc I'd say £100-120 would be a fair price. Trilogos often have bubble dents and it doesn't detract too much from the value (although you pay a massive premium for mint ones.)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I would say the R2 is more readily available and slightly less sought after than the R5(on Jedi). Right now I prob wouldn't pay more than 100 for R2 and 140 for R5. You're a man after my own heart, droids are awesome!

image.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
There's a lot on Facebook but much of it is over-priced. I rarely see bargains on there. Honestly eBay auctions are the best place to get bargains.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
r5-d4cus said:
They look awesome together! So other than on here and eBay where should I be looking?

In this day and age it pays to look everywhere 8) Forums, Facebook groups, Ebay.. some will turn up. Edds right though, Facebook's pricey or you have to be quick! I still find some of my best finds on Ebay for sure.

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Patience is the key! I see it as long term collecting. Much more fun and rewarding when you get that elusive item for a good price :lol:

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I know. I've just been outbid last minute for a rotj r5-d4, winning bid was just over £190, just over what I'd happily pay. I've seen an r2 sensor scope in usa for just over £100 but it has a tear to the card where a sticker has been removed.

I want to get two decent mocs to start off, but reckon a bit of patience will make the finds when I make them all the better.

r5-d4cus

Padawan
At first I just wanted two pieces to take pride of place in my astromech collection, now I've realised what I actually needed all along was a set of sw, esb, rotj and tri-logo droids :D
I was wondering, how much value is lost from an average carded example if pop is missing, or there is damage to the card like a tear to the hanger on the card, or a tear where a price sticker has been removed? Should it significantly reduce the price I pay?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Prices will always reflect condition, pops missing, torn hangers, veins, creases, yellowed bubbles, hairline cracks, bubble lifting, price sticker residue are all contributory factors to price.
The harder to get, more rare or popular the higher the price, but still with the above anomalies factored in.
It's all about what you are happy with on condition, then you can look at the price parameters, if you are happy with the aforementioned "issues" then all good.

Always boils down what YOU are happy with :D

r5-d4cus

Padawan
Yep, I understand. I tend to collect by buying cheap and cheerful then trading up for nicer versions of the item as I go along. I don't want to leave myself too much out of pocket though by paying over the odds for a damaged piece by making a big loss when I sell on.

Lauras take a concrete example. For a rotj r2 normally worth £100, if the pop was missing what would you be happy to pay?

If this really is just a subjective thing that's cool, just looking to leverage more board wisdom 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom