Header image

Vintage toys on Antiques Roadshow in 1999

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Paddy the Jedi
New User
New User

Vintage toys on Antiques Roadshow in 1999

Postby Paddy the Jedi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 pm

I was really curious if anyone can remember watching an episode of Antiques Roadshow in 1999. It was broadcast to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace and if memory serves me correctly I believe it was aired on a Sunday on BBC 2.I can distinctly remember an interview with Dave Ross(Star Toys and Collectables)fame- who by the way was a true gentleman to deal with and speak to "back in the day"!! I remember Dave showing how the nose of a loose POTF Luke Stormtrooper becomes damaged every time his helmet is taken off and put back on!!Dave also showed off one of his Darth Maul prototype figures. However I can't find the episode on the internet nor YouTube for that matter! I would love some help with this as it's been" eating away at me" for ages!!! Thanks so much,Gary.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Vintage toys on Antiques Roadshow in 1999

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:54 pm

I believe this one was hosted by Tim Wonnacot and was filmed at Memorabilia '99.

Dave Tree has a copy somewhere, on VHS, and is threatening to get it aired at the next Farthest From if he can find it! I'd love to see it as I also appeared on it talking (through my hat) about a grey limbed Snowtrooper :lol: Would love to see it again. I had hair back in the day.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Is that the episode where the BBC 'expert' picked up a Boba Fett out of a box of figures brought down from someone's loft, and turned it over to check to see if it had a firing rocket? :roll: I hope he also regularly checks under his pillow to see if the Cullinan Diamond is there...

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I believe this one was hosted by Tim Wonnacot and was filmed at Memorabilia '99.

Dave Tree has a copy somewhere, on VHS, and is threatening to get it aired at the next Farthest From if he can find it! I'd love to see it as I also appeared on it talking (through my hat) about a grey limbed Snowtrooper :lol: Would love to see it again. I had hair back in the day.

I remember that - had no idea that was you :shock:

A veritable celebrity :lol:
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Tuesday
1 June
20.30 The Antiques Show

Merchandise spin-offs from the first three Star Wars movies made over £2.4 billion. As the Star Wars prequel inspires a new generation of toys,
Tim Wonnacott discovers that these plastic figures can make surprisingly lucrative investments.
James Breese goes to a car boot sale in Castle Combe and learns that experienced buyers always arrive with a strategy. Presented by Fiona Bruce. Series producer Alison Bennett
Series editor Jane Lomas Subtitled.
Last edited by Richard_H on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Dec 1996 there was a Star Wars memorabilia showing at Edinburgh too. That'd be good to find.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 pm

spoons wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I believe this one was hosted by Tim Wonnacot and was filmed at Memorabilia '99.

I remember that - had no idea that was you :shock:

A veritable celebrity :lol:

A veritable plum, more like :lol:

ODB
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby ODB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Paddy the Jedi wrote:I was really curious if anyone can remember watching an episode of Antiques Roadshow in 1999. It was broadcast to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace and if memory serves me correctly I believe it was aired on a Sunday on BBC 2.I can distinctly remember an interview with Dave Ross(Star Toys and Collectables)fame- who by the way was a true gentleman to deal with and speak to "back in the day"!! I remember Dave showing how the nose of a loose POTF Luke Stormtrooper becomes damaged every time his helmet is taken off and put back on!!Dave also showed off one of his Darth Maul prototype figures. However I can't find the episode on the internet nor YouTube for that matter! I would love some help with this as it's been" eating away at me" for ages!!! Thanks so much,Gary.

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. I wonder what happened to him? I seem to recall that he had a three pack on his stall on the same show for £1000, which seemed so much back then.
Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination.........

Paddy the Jedi
New User
New User

Postby Paddy the Jedi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 am

Wouldn't it be great if Dave could get the episode on DVD- I would definitely buy a copy! With regard to the 3pack Dave Ross had at £1000,I had the chance in 2002 of a 3 pack for £900!!! As they say"hindsight is a wonderful thing"

Vin3po
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Vin3po » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Funny I actually have this Episode or the Star wars bits on VHS also :wink:

I will find out if there's a way I can get it onto DVD. I also don't think that Darth Maul First shot was a one off. I am sure I have seen other ones the same. Heck I may even be watching the same one on Ebay just now.

Cheers

Vince

ODB
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby ODB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm

I can transfer video to DVD/digital if you are happy to send it to me.
Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination.........

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:04 pm

there has been quite a few shown on the antiques roadshow over the years

was one a couple of years ago with a bloke who had lots of boxed items but nothing that rare

i seem to remember one with a bloke who had a shelf of all the loose figures and spoke about rocket firing fett late 90s/early 2000s he may have been in his mid 20s with a ponytail and glasses but im not definite on that

were a few others early 90s aswell as i can remember my dad calling me in to watch at the time some of those were the child editions they did around christmas though
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

threaders20
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby threaders20 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm

I remember the children's edition when a kid brought along a load of loose figures. I'd like to see that one again as my ex girlfriends mum talked all the way through it :(

Starwarsgeek
New User
New User

Postby Starwarsgeek » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 am

Bump

Did anybody have any luck tracking this down? And if so any chance of getting it on YouTube?

Thanks in advance!!

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am

I so remember that-esp the bit when the guy was checking the back of a standard Fett. Brings back so many memories of my v early collecting days :D
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”