Are you too Cool for your Collection?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

Are you open about your Star Wars Collecting do you openly discuss your collecting habits with friends, work colleaugues or new people you meet or do you hide it?

If people ask do you tell them how much you spend on Star Wars Collecting?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't tell many people but that's just the way I am and doesn't only apply to Star Wars. I am quite private and don't talk to strangers/random people at work about my personal life. I'm the guy who turns his stereo down at traffic lights :lol:

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
If people ask I tell them. Some understand it some don't.

However everyone laughs at the train auction story!!!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I don't really discuss my collecting habits, but if someone asks I'm happy to talk about my collection. Love boring the **** out of friends and family about it! I find most people don't know or are not interested. I certainly don't hide it.. people have far stranger hobbies. People at work know I'm a Star Wars guy but don't know I collect anything.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Great question. I used to consider myself far to cool for all this. I used to have what my close friends dubbed the 'cupboard of shame' where the collection was arranged semi-displayed but hidden out of view in a cupboard!

A bit of home-rearranging later and the collection is on full view now. I literally came out the closet. I'm chronically ill so my attitude now is 'F it - if I've had to stop worrying about my progressive illness, I don't worry about anything else'. I'm in a position where care and health workers are in my flat daily so it's very much in view and an ongoing talking point.

On the other hand, I spent years 'window shopping' at vintage Star Wars. I was longing for it but didn't have disposable income AND found the notion of collecting a step to far in some ways. Then, as Doc Brown would say, I thought 'what the hell'.

Dazza

Youngling
Haha, my living room is like an 80's toy shop, so it's not exactly hidden. I do resolutely refuse to say I collect. It's always just "stuff I've accumulated".

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Haha.

Or Luke Fag-bender as Michael Aspel once said, the cheeky bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9oNuBkDwA#t=8m12s

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I've got one good friend who collects vintage and one who collects modern Kotobukiya stuff.
Some of my friends know, but only a few to the extent of which I collect.
Workmates know I like Star Wars but don't know I am actively collecting.
They don't need to know...its what forums like these are for.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Anyone who comes to my house now will know. Dreading dads next visit. Can already hear him saying "FOR ****S STAKE"

image.jpeg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SOJ said:
Anyone who comes to my house now will know. Dreading dads next visit. Can already hear him saying "FOR ****S STAKE"

image.jpeg

I can hear my Dad saying the same thing. :lol: :roll: :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
I'm the guy who turns his stereo down at traffic lights :lol:

I do that! It's one of those things where you think to yourself 'I am properly mental!'. Just glad i'm not alone :lol:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Yep

At the tender age of just 37 I have come to realise the best thing to do with regards to everything, what I do in my spare time, how I dress, what music I listen to etc etc is to not give a **** what anyone else thinks.

It makes life a lot easier. I do wonder why I wasted so much time at school trying to fit in. I now have found my own groove, and its great.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I talk about it every day at work, with my family or with my friends. But I do not invite other collectors inside my home before I feel I know them well enough.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The less people know about me the better! :lol:

I moved away from where I grew up about 8 years ago. I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone and I was known for my Star Wars collecting habits quite well, it got to the point where friends of friends were caractorising me before they even spoke to me. Most the time I whent along with it, but I realised when I got into my mid 20's that it really wasn't me, being a private person and all that. I go back probably two or three times a year and notice that most the people that enjoyed everyone knowing them and their life are still living the same life. Nothing wrong with that at all but where I've moved to is a similar situation and now I've been here for a while the same thing is happening, as I get to know more people and the Star Wars collecting gets brought up more often.

If someone brings it up who I don't really know that well, I change the subject quickly now. Basically I don't want my Star Wars collection to define me as a person. :lol: :lol: :lol:

tyco

Youngling
I Don't hide my collecting habits but i dont broadcast them either.

If someone asks i will tell them or if the conversation ends up in that direction i will talk about my collection but i dont go out of my way to bring it up.

Also anybody that has been to my home or knows me will have a big idea what floats my boat lol.

Gaz46&2

Padawan
I don't tell anyone either, they'll only take the piss so there's no point.

My wife is quite nerdy, she's got her own collecting habits so she completely understands mine.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm a Star Wars collector...I don't have any friends or know anyone other than Star Wars collectors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I keep my collecting to myself, I have found that most others will either take the piss or want to know what it's worth. :?

Gorneesh

Jedi Knight
I've never kept my collection a secret form other people, in fact once when I was talking about it to work colleagues about it the next day one of them brought in his childhood collection for me to have for free, he said he wanted them to go to a good home.
Others have taken the mick for it but just let it ride, if you can't take it don't deal it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom