Do Current Prices Make Collecting BitterSweet for you?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
When I buy pieces for my collection I am happy I have the item but guilty about the amount of money I just spent, its a bittersweet experience is that normal or is that just me?

Heith

Padawan
Collecting has become too expensive for me, and I was only looking to get a half decent condition run of loose figures, no fun in it for me anymore and I count myself lucky that I collect other more affordable toy lines

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I feel like that when I know I've over-paid for something, especially if it's not something I was desperate for, but collecting is all about ups and downs. As long as you balance it with bargains it all works out in the end.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
It is not as fun today as it was some years ago as a buyer. Today I wish I have bought all the expensive items first :roll:

But I still love my collection. But I was more happy in the 00 as a buyer where I could buy most of the items I wanted.
Today I have to give up on many auctions :(

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Only 5% of the worlds population have ever flown on an airplane.

We are very fortunate to live in the places we do, and to have the lifestyle we do. Being able to spend money on something as frivolous as action figures is something that I take for granted... but I have been to third world countries and seen it with my own eyes and do try to stop and think sometimes how fortunate I am. Whether that action figure costs £50 today, but a couple years ago it only cost £25 - that's really beside the point and missing the bigger picture.

x-pack

Grand Master
It's true that we are lucky to be able to collect something. Says a lot about our lives. But yes, collecting ain't what it used to be. The market place is huge now as well. Maybe that also takes some of the thrill out of it. Mixed blessings and all that

talldroid77

Padawan
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Only 5% of the worlds population have ever flown on an airplane.

We are very fortunate to live in the places we do, and to have the lifestyle we do. Being able to spend money on something as frivolous as action figures is something that I take for granted... but I have been to third world countries and seen it with my own eyes and do try to stop and think sometimes how fortunate I am. Whether that action figure costs £50 today, but a couple years ago it only cost £25 - that's really beside the point and missing the bigger picture.

Good point. I went to Indonesia when I did a marine biology masters - we are more privileged than we know - the people where I was have nothing just wooden huts to live in - a last 17 figure would be an absolute fortune. Striking thing was they are happy despite this (they don't go hungry as the reefs are still fairly bountiful though that will change in the future as overfishing and ocean acidification killing the coral take effect) They make English people seem miserable lol.

Yeah prices are silly esp loose figures and weapons - no way would I replace my set at today's prices. I suppose it's made existing collections more valuable which can be considered a bonus but I buy a lot less volume wise for my collection than I used to as it's just not justifiable to me.

maxf

Jedi Master
It's certainly made it harder to pick up pieces 'on a whim', although I still enjoy landing a new piece. Would I enjoy it more if it was cheaper - possibly. It would certainly make things like undeclared damage and damage in transit less of a worry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom