Palitoy 30 Back Yoda Footer Query

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Whilst doing some Google image searching for Palitoy cards (the internet equivalent of window shopping for those of us never likely to own a full set! :-() I noticed something curious regarding the footer on Palitoy's 30 back Yoda figures. Call me odd, but I've always liked cards with footers (probably because I am a child of the 70's and footers remind me of the 12 and 20 back figures I bought as a boy :)), and Yoda has always been one of my favourite Vintage figures.

Unlike the Palitoy 12 and 20 back cards, oddly, I have no memory of the 30 back cards as a child at all. I guess I must have bought and owned at least some since I had all 10 of the first wave of ESB figures quite early on, and most well before the next wave and Yoda were released. However, as a boy I also owned an orange snaked Yoda (bought well before ROJ came out), and looking at the Google images and doing a little research, this tells me my childhood Yoda was probably a Kenner carded import.

Looking on Google today though, the Palitoy 30 back Yoda images reveal something rather odd about the footers, in that some seem to have them and some not. It's true that some of the images of 30 back Yodas look to be reseals and hence the footers may simply have not been put back in when the cards were resealed, however others look to be factory sealed and yet still have no footer. Since relying on my childhood memory is clearly useless in this case, and since I sadly do not own a factory sealed 30 back Yoda, does anyone know the truth of this? Should they all have footers? Or is it perhaps the case that some 30 back Yodas simply didn't come packed with a footer?

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
As far as I am aware all should have footers. Sometimes the footers move and can end up behind Yoda, so that can explain it appearing to be missing, otherwise they are likely to be reseals.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Whilst doing some Google image searching for Palitoy cards (the internet equivalent of window shopping for those of us never likely to own a full set! :-() I noticed something curious regarding the footer on Palitoy's 30 back Yoda figures. Call me odd, but I've always liked cards with footers (probably because I am a child of the 70's and footers remind me of the 12 and 20 back figures I bought as a boy :)), and Yoda has always been one of my favourite Vintage figures.

Unlike the Palitoy 12 and 20 back cards, oddly, I have no memory of the 30 back cards as a child at all. I guess I must have bought and owned at least some since I had all 10 of the first wave of ESB figures quite early on, and most well before the next wave and Yoda were released. However, as a boy I also owned an orange snaked Yoda (bought well before ROJ came out), and looking at the Google images and doing a little research, this tells me my childhood Yoda was probably a Kenner carded import.

Looking on Google today though, the Palitoy 30 back Yoda images reveal something rather odd about the footers, in that some seem to have them and some not. It's true that some of the images of 30 back Yodas look to be reseals and hence the footers may simply have not been put back in when the cards were resealed, however others look to be factory sealed and yet still have no footer. Since relying on my childhood memory is clearly useless in this case, and since I sadly do not own a factory sealed 30 back Yoda, does anyone know the truth of this? Should they all have footers? Or is it perhaps the case that some 30 back Yodas simply didn't come packed with a footer?

If the image is the Vectis one I think the footer had slid up behind the figure hadn't it? I think it's odd if some don't have them, they all should (other than reaseals like you said). There's not many aroundvto check :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Andyclarke said:
As far as I am aware all should have footers. Sometimes the footers move and can end up behind Yoda, so that can explain it appearing to be missing, otherwise they are likely to be reseals.

jedisearcher said:
If the image is the Vectis one I think the footer had slid up behind the figure hadn't it? I think it's odd if some don't have them, they all should (other than reaseals like you said). There's not many aroundvto check :D

Thanks guys. Perhaps I should have gone to Specsavers! :) Yes, the Vectis image does indeed look to have the footer behind the figure (I didn't think to look there!). And not only that, another image that also seemed to have no footer is I think, a different shot of the exact same carded figure:

IMG_2543.jpg

Mystery solved! :)

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well I can confirm the footer was indeed behind the figure as I was the auction winner of that Yoda :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
Well I can confirm the footer was indeed behind the figure as I was the auction winner of that Yoda :D
Well many congratulations on that! It's a beautiful piece.

Have you left the footer behind the figure, or have you tried to move it back under his feet?

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
palitoyjunky said:

Have you left the footer behind the figure, or have you tried to move it back under his feet?

Well I did have a go initially but sort of gave up and settled for the footer neatly tucked behind the figure.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
Snaketibe said:
palitoyjunky said:

Well I did have a go initially but sort of gave up and settled for the footer neatly tucked behind the figure.

Fair enough. I'd be scared of damaging the card, I think! :)

One question you hopefully might be able to answer though is regarding the shape of the footer. I am lucky enough to own a Kenner 32 back Yoda and I noticed that the footer in mine is square cut at the rear corners, but round cut at the front corners. It's kind of hard to tell from your one, but looking at the limited Google images available, am I right in thinking that the Palitoy 30 one is square cut at all four corners? If so, I wonder if there was a running change from one to the other, or whether the Palitoy 30 backs were always different to the Kenner 32s? Sorry if this is getting a bit geeky, but this sort of stuff interests me! :D

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
The footers tend to follow the bubble shapes afaik. So squarer, narrower bubbles like Yoda and the narrower figures such as ATAT Driver, any Leia etc. have square corners on the footers to go with the squarer corner bubbles, whilst the wider bubble figures such as the HST, HH etc. tend to have footers shaped more to the bubble, and rounded corners. Like you say, on the square ones, the corners are all square, but the rounded footers are only rounded at the front, the backs are still pretty square.

As that probably made no sense I think it's safe to say the wider the bubble the more chance of rounded corners on the footer, whilst a squarer, narrower (90 degree corner) bubble will normally have square corners. I say normally because I've got the same figures on different cards, but the bubble determines how the footer looks, not the figure. It's not always consistent, my 45a HRS has a very square footer, but the corners look snipped, so neither rounded nor square :lol:

Palifan

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
The footers tend to follow the bubble shapes afaik. So squarer, narrower bubbles like Yoda and the narrower figures such as ATAT Driver, any Leia etc. have square corners on the footers to go with the squarer corner bubbles, whilst the wider bubble figures such as the HST, HH etc. tend to have footers shaped more to the bubble, and rounded corners. Like you say, on the square ones, the corners are all square, but the rounded footers are only rounded at the front, the backs are still pretty square.

As that probably made no sense I think it's safe to say the wider the bubble the more chance of rounded corners on the footer, whilst a squarer, narrower (90 degree corner) bubble will normally have square corners. I say normally because I've got the same figures on different cards, but the bubble determines how the footer looks, not the figure. It's not always consistent, my 45a HRS has a very square footer, but the corners look snipped, so neither rounded nor square :lol:

Some great info and I've been looking over these various footers on the first 30 released for years but never given much thought to why some are rounded at the front and others aren't so it's good to hear you thoughts on this. The 20 back Hammerhead also has a rounded front footer so it follows your thoughts.

I still wish they'd have used a few more of the V shaped footers with figures as I find that it tends to make the figures stand straighter and I've always liked the look of them. I've no idea why the 30 back Palitoy Hoth Trooper has both a flat and V shaped footer depending on if it's an A or B back, maybe the A kept falling over.

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedisearcher said:

Thanks for the info and your thoughts. It's all interesting stuff, although I'm still hoping for a definitive answer regarding whether the Palitoy 30 Back footer is different from the Kenner 32 Back, and if so why? Here's my 32 Back showing the rounded front to the footer:

Yoda 32Back.jpg

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Definitely different mate, very square when compared to yours. Reason why? Different factory methods I'd guess?

Out of interest, is the footer colour a good match to the cardback colour on yours? Palitoy footer is quite orange, not like the cardback colour at all really. I'd have originally said due to some kind of discolouration but I've seen more than one with the orange and yellow combo. You can just make out the orange on Ian's behind the figure.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
Definitely different mate, very square when compared to yours. Reason why? Different factory methods I'd guess?

Out of interest, is the footer colour a good match to the cardback colour on yours? Palitoy footer is quite orange, not like the cardback colour at all really. I'd have originally said due to some kind of discolouration but I've seen more than one with the orange and yellow combo. You can just make out the orange on Ian's behind the figure.

I'd say mine is a little darker yellow than the background, but not by much, and it's certainly not orange (see below).

I'd love to see a similar close-up of the Palitoy 30 back one if it's as different as you say. The images of them on Google aren't exactly plentiful or clear! :). I have noticed some footers being different shades from their background colours on some other carded figures before, but the Palitoy one sounds very different. All interesting stuff! :)

Kenner 32 Back Yoda Footer.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom