Is your Mrs cool with your Collecting Habits?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I have been getting a lot of **** from my Mrs lately about the amount of time I dedicate to collecting Star Wars is that normal or am I just one of the unlucky ones?

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Mine is totally cool with it. Would prefer the money went elsewhere I'm sure, but I'm gifted with a dedicated space for it, its part of the family...

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
Mine is also happy with it and actually pushes me to buy certain items. :D
It's some of the other collections she hates :cry:

maxf

Jedi Master
Mine is very happy with it - she prefers it stays in the study, which suits me fine as I don't want a 'star Wars' house.

We are house hunting at the moment and she even suggested one of the rooms would be perfect for my collection.

The trick is never to say you can't do something because you spent the money on your hobby.

poncho

Grand Master
how many times have you seen me whing about my mrs and my collecting.

she doesnt understand collecting.things

she thinks toys should be played with not kept in boxes...

she also uses it against me when we have a altercation.....hate that :x

but to be fair she lets buy them as she knows it makes me happy and she lets me have them on show in our living room. she loves me really :D

Hooch

Jedi Knight
Mine is totally fine with it as long as I stick to my budgeted savings. I have my hobby and she has hers so it works well
Paypal is also in the mrs name so I cant get anything by her. Within minutes of making payment and her getting the email notification all I hear being yelled out is 'what did you just buy?' :lol:

wrighty

Sith Lord
We have an understanding she makes no comments on my hobby and she can do what she wants with shopping!! 8)

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Mine is great with it. Takes an active interest and doesn't complain. No problems at all.

Jez

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I have been getting a lot of **** from my Mrs lately about the amount of time I dedicate to collecting Star Wars is that normal or am I just one of the unlucky ones?

Is the amount of time you are dedicating normal? That is the question. She may have a point if you have all of a sudden (since Rogue One) you started dropping big money on items, when only last year that money was going on her or you as a couple? Have you loads of notifications set up so your phone is constantly pinging? Are you on Ebay etc more than anything else? Do you now no longer have that Friday takeaway so you can buy a Saturday MOC?

Before we can answer the question of 'is it normal to get loads of ****?' we need to ascertain if your collecting habit is normal, a bad addiction or something even worse.

r5-d4cus

Padawan
If you're allowed star wars on display in your living room I would say your missus is totally bought into it!
My wife accepts my star wars obsession, I was allowed to call my son Ben (Luke was too much even for me), she buys me the odd item and let's me spend my stag do fund on star wars so I can't complain.
I was showing her a 12 back r2 I was bidding on tonight and she watched it go up from £250 to £400 and said I'm stupid but she humours me and that's kind of her.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Mine is cool with my collecting, we even named my son Lucas after I jokingly suggested it, i'm on a tight budget but have a man cave full of vintage and modern star wars, she is very supportive

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Mine is totally cool :D When we met 12 odd years ago she knew SW was part of who I am etc and saw my collection soon after. She has never question my spending or time dedicated to my hobby and rightly so as it has never got in the way of our relationship. I have a healthy balance with it all and luckily she actually likes it so comes to things like toy fairs etc. Hell she came to all three days at Cel London last year 8)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Mine is cool with it all. We have a joint account and put a big lump of dough in that. That sorts the bills and stuff and I always have enough for holidays etc. The rest is for me and as long as I am earning enough money to cover "life", and I feel we have a good quality of life, then I can afford to own my collection.

I have a room for it all, and I appreciate that. I also have a few other hobbies and a bit of money tied up in those as well. I have a couple of shotguns as I do a bit of clay pigeon shooting and we both scuba dive, although this was my mrs hobby which I got into on the back of that, but we have a huge selection of diving gear in the garage, 3/4 of which is hers and a lot for technical diving.

Last year though, I spent a few quid on Star Wars, but spent far more on getting the back garden sorted. Had I not been able to do that there would have been trouble.

A fine balance between being sensible, saving a bit but living life. You don't want to send yourself to the poorhouse with a Star Wars obsession but then you can't take it with you and there's no point being the richest man in the graveyard.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
My Missus tolerates it !! lol , she does give off a few times , when I buy something expensive , however comes to Comic cons , celebration shows with me , so can't complain too much !!

:D

hellhippie

Jedi Master
totally cool with all my collections , there are a few besides star wars . its just part of who I am . shes actually bought me some very rare variants over the years . like others I have a collection room but that's ok because like someone said . I don't want a star wars house either

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Mostly tolerant, sometime actively encourages it by buying an item here or there for me.... I also have other collections, such as my team's football tops which, I don't think of as a collection, really, just a part of supporting them but which, to others, I totally see that it looks like a collection. On the whole, though, it's not an issue, as long as there's a balance found. 8)

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I had to give up drinking a while back and had started not going out as much. My girlfriend suggested I get a hobby, one day vintage collecting was on TV and I was drawn in. I'm not sure if spending loads of money on old toys was what she meant by a hobby but she seems okay with it. She loves Sci FI, horror, etc so comes along to many events. We've both been to a couple of Farthest From's, she thinks some of the old stuff is cool, but still not sold on the prices! We were in Ikea one day and I was looking at the Detolfs, she said 'Don't even think about it.' But give it time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom