Is First 12 the New Last 17 ??

Gogsfett

Padawan
Hello Folks,

What's your thoughts on this.

Is The First 12 becoming the new Last 17 ??

Have seem prices starting to get a bit crazy for First 12, especially Leia: up to £90+, Luke Farmboy £40 + , Jawas now £30 -£40, C-3P0 - £25, R2D2 - £50 +......

Do you think they will start to reach the Last 17 prices, Wouldn't think they would as thousands if not millions more produced of first 12 and should be a helluva more out there.

Would suit me as have first 12 albeit not all with original weapons and only a few last 17!!

Just thought would see what everyone else's thoughts were???

Cheers
Gordy

wrighty

Sith Lord
Personally I think 1st 12 figures will out number thr last 17 easily. Also with modern mind set people are going for mint examples hence driving prices up. More importantly people are not educating themselves prior to buying, not using brains!! Harsh but true!! Lots of transient collectors that want an instant collection to boast on FB!! 8)

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Prior to Disney/TFA prices increased relatively steadily. The last 17 were always seen as the 'grails' of a loose collection and hence the most expensive figures. This was always the case since back in the early 90's as commited collectors chased full sets.

I think post Disney, it's brought lots of more casual collectors to the market who just aren't interested in Barada or Romba but want an absolutely mint first 12 for display purposes. As a result the values of those figures have really been affected.

The weapons of the first 12 don't help either, black Leia blaster at £50+, three different sabres that need mint tips as well as Jawa blaster, vinyl capes etc. Add to that risk of C3PO floppy limbs and R2'S decal needing to be mint.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I agree Disney has definitely brought more collectors and investors into the market as Star Wars longevity is pretty much guaranteed under Disney given the amount of money they are spending on it. Loose prices will escalate faster than MOC as a large percentage of MOC is sold in private whereas most loose is sold in the public domain thereby providing a benchmark every time a high sale occurs!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
The 'Last 17' is a pre-internet term and should have been disposed of when eBay arrived. Last 17 are not hard to find on the internet. I completely agree that the first 12 have become just like the last 17, but they can also be found in large numbers at every convention and ebay/forum/FB everyday.

I have no idea why people are paying these prices, but I can totally understand why sellers are selling at these prices.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
So what would be a full set of complete first 12 and full set of complete last 17 be worth ? C8 condition for argument sake

MarkG

Jedi Master
ChallengerFox said:
So what would be a full set of complete first 12 and full set of complete last 17 be worth ? C8 condition for argument sake

At a guess, about £600-800 for the first 12, and £1000-1100 for the L17... although you can still get an Anakin for sub £20 :D

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Leia = £90
Luke = £60
R2 = £40
C3PO = £30
Vader = £30
Ben = £40
Stormtrooper = £25
Han = £25
Chewbacca = £20
Jawa = £40
DSC = £20
Tusken = £35

= £450 - 475 for decent first 12 set

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I was probably under on most of the prices to be fair. It's going up by the week.

Compare to last 17 at least £1500.

Paploo = £40
Lumat = £40
Warok = £55
Romba = £55
Luke stormtrooper = £120
Luke Endor = £90
Han Carb = £95
Imperial dignitary = £50
Barada = £65
Amanaman = £95
Anakin = £15
DSG = £85
EV 9d9 = £90
Lando General = £90
A wing pilot = £75
R2 pop up = £225
Yak = £250

Again though probably low these days. The guns are worth more than the figures on both lukes, lando, a wing and DSG.

stu70

Padawan
Just had a couple of bids on and was watching some first 12 loose figures, didn't come close to winning any, they all went for crazy money, £170 for a Luke farmboy, £192 for an R2D2 and £250 for a Leia Organa!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes I put a loose set together recently and found it odd that you can buy almost every 21 back to 77 back figure for £10-15, yet the first 12 and last 17 are in some cases ten times the price. I get why a Lobot is worth less than an EV-9D9, but plenty of these figures like Luke, Leia and the last 17 Ewoks are incredibly common and should be £20 max. I know I get rinsed every time I suggest it, but I blame Facebook.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I can't work out where else it could come from. I'm at a loss that people are spending this kind of money on common figures.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Even if something isn't graded it's bein sold as if it were (ie, would easily grade an 85 = I want 85 grade money without bothering to grade it myself).

Prices just escalate as a result.

ODB

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
I can't work out where else it could come from. I'm at a loss that people are spending this kind of money on common figures.

Classic bubble behaviour, actual supply and demand begin to have no effect on margin and the bubble begins to self generate. It keeps going until either market confidence takes a hit and things begin to crash or there is a lack of new buyers to the market and people begin to realize its a bubble.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I think we are still far away from the first 12 to be more expensive than the last 17.

As Dannywhiteley write £1500 for the last 17 and £475 for the first 12.

But I think it is only a matter of time before the r2-d2 pop up is more expensive than yak face :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom