Factory sealed or not?

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Hi all. Here's a thought, if a factory sealed box containing vintage SW items were to cross your collecting path would you be tempted to open it out of curiosity or worry that this could devalue the collective value of the items? I can understand a factory sealed SW item from 1977 that has never been opened or played with, having a perfect seal on the amazingly colourful box holding it. But a 1977 shipping brown cardboard box with tape on it? I personally would be too excited to see/hold/appreciate the vintage items within!

Palifan

Sith Lord
Personally I'd have to open it as what's inside the box is far more interesting than the shipping box to me. For this reason I wouldn't buy something in a sealed shipping container unless it was a great deal.

Maybe this would be one fairly good reason to use AFA or UKG as you could get the contents graded as coming from a shipping container (U grade possibly possibly?), and be able to see the contents without devaluing it too much. I'm sure this would still upset some people so best to not get involved from the start.

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Well, it's never likely to happen to me, but if I were to come across a sealed brown cardboard box that I knew to contain Vintage goodness, then I'd open it (carefully!) in a proverbial heartbeat! I wouldn't dream of opening what came out of that plain brown cardboard box (and yes, I would keep the brown box, and in good condition too :)), but seriously, who here can honestly say they'd rather look at a sealed plain brown cardboard box over 24 pristine Palitoy 12, 20 or 30 backs? Or 4 Palitoy Death Stars? Or a case of coin-cards containing an Anakin? Or one of Tri-logos containing a Madine? Or even for that matter, a bunch of mint Klaatus, Squid Heads and Ree-Yees?

I've done the whole brown box thing when my own collection was in storage, and I can tell you, I enjoy looking at it a hell of a lot more now that it's out of the brown boxes and on display ;-)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
Maybe this would be one fairly good reason to use AFA or UKG as you could get the contents graded as coming from a shipping container (U grade possibly possibly?), and be able to see the contents without devaluing it too much. I'm sure this would still upset some people so best to not get involved from the start.

Ian

I agree I would do the same as this would be the only way of opening the box without devaluing what is inside. Even I f you don't agree with grading most people don't want to loose money either.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
For sure, if one can stop themselves opening it what with the excitement and curiosity feeling in their stomach, UKG/AFA would b the guys to open and U grade accordingly. That would absolutely maximise the commercial value.

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
All for keeping interest in what I paid but sorry guys... On this occasion the big kid inside would definitely have to sacrifice some value just so I could personally open that BIG BROWN BOX to reveal those untouched holygrail toys!

C'mon, it would be like Christmas 1978 all over again! :D

wrighty

Sith Lord
X-ray will allow to see contents without opening the shipping container. You have to find a friendly radiographer that will allow you to do that!! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom