Hollow Tubes Sand Person

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Would be grateful for a second opinion on this chap.

The cheek tubes look fake to me.
Requested a better photo, but nothing forthcoming as yet.

tuskenhead_zpsjk5qt8c2.jpg

Cheers
Jon

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Hmmm, it doesn't look quite right to me either (the holes look too small / the surrounding plastic too thick), but that may just be the photo. You definitely need better, clear photos to be sure, and when you do the figure should hopefully look like the one shown below. If the seller won't provide you with better photos, my advice would be to avoid this. Good luck! :):

Hollow 01.jpg

Hollow 02.jpg

spoons

Grand Master
The clue is in the horns - the HT in the pic above has splayed head horns. Non hollow tubes are more upright.

The one in question looks fake to me - upright horns

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
As usual, many thanks for your for your responses, guys.
TBH you confirmed my suspicions.

The depth and thickness (oo-er!) of the tubes set off the alarm bells.
No response regarding better photos, so I'll give this one a wide berth.

Gutted.
Been after a Hollow Tubes for what seems like f**king years. :cry:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I could be wrong, but the horns on the one in the auction below look upright to me, and the hollow tubes don't have clean sharp circles at the ends, like my one pictured above:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tusken-Raider-Hollow-Tusks-Tubes-Variant-UKG-85-85-85-Original-Vintage-Star-Wars-/172826778757?hash=item283d475c85:g:Ff8AAOSwRZRZdjSG

If this auction one is a fake as I suspect, then it's also got by the 'experts' at the UKG... Not that graders have ever inspired much confidence in me anyway... :?

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Snaketibe said:
I could be wrong, but the horns on the one in the auction below look upright to me, and the hollow tubes don't have clean sharp circles at the ends, like my one pictured above:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tusken-Raider-Hollow-Tusks-Tubes-Variant-UKG-85-85-85-Original-Vintage-Star-Wars-/172826778757?hash=item283d475c85:g:Ff8AAOSwRZRZdjSG

If this auction one is a fake as I suspect, then it's also got by the 'experts' at the UKG... Not that graders have ever inspired much confidence in me anyway... :?

Yeah, I think you're right, Jeremy.
The tubes definitely look like a Dremel job. The rims on the tubes appear to be thinner on the genuine example posted above.
Can't believe that the graders let this one through.

The top two horns are also missing the bit of supporting plastic on the sides.
I never knew about the splayed horns as a way of identification, so that's been an education in itself.

The hunt continues....... :(

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I eyed up every Sand People on eBay for months looking for an unadvertised one*. The first unadvertised one I saw went for big bucks as if it were expertly listed. Doh. The second one I saw was a bit of a beater and very poorly photographed. Luckily, I got that one.

The Sand People is one of my favourite figures and I have a vague memory of the hollow ones turning up circa 84-ish but I'm aware of 'False Star Wars Memory Syndrome'. I've never seen a carded example as a collector. Does anyone know what cardbacks they appeared on?

*I've got time on my hands. :D

poncho

Grand Master
chipsteak said:
I eyed up every Sand People on eBay for months looking for an unadvertised one*. The first unadvertised one I saw went for big bucks as if it were expertly listed. Doh. The second one I saw was a bit of a beater and very poorly photographed. Luckily, I got that one.

The Sand People is one of my favourite figures and I have a vague memory of the hollow ones turning up circa 84-ish but I'm aware of 'False Star Wars Memory Syndrome'. I've never seen a carded example as a collector. Does anyone know what cardbacks they appeared on?

hollow cheeks were released on jedi cards only

Pomse2001

Grand Master
poncho said:
chipsteak said:

any idea what rotj card it was sold on ? I have never found a hollow cheeks in a danish childhood lot and most of the figures that was sold in denmark was rotj tri-logo, palitoy and kenner.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
poncho said:
chipsteak said:

any idea what rotj card it was sold on ? I have never found a hollow cheeks in a danish childhood lot and most of the figures that was sold in denmark was rotj tri-logo, palitoy and kenner.
I didn't know the answer, but was curious, so I've just had a quick look on Google images and can see Kenner Jedi carded [Tusken Raider (Sand People)] and Meccano Tri-logo carded examples. Sadly, I couldn't see the backs of the cards, but hopefully someone here will have more knowledge than me and provide that info :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
poncho said:

I didn't know the answer, but was curious, so I've just had a quick look on Google images and can see Kenner Jedi carded [Tusken Raider (Sand People)] and Meccano Tri-logo carded examples. Sadly, I couldn't see the backs of the cards, but hopefully someone here will have more knowledge than me and provide that info :)

It could be cool to know that, thanks :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
poncho said:

I just found this link Kenner 65 back, not a cardback that I have found in denmark. So if it maybe was only sold on the 65 cardback then it could be why I have not found one in denmark yet :? The one I have was bought in usa many years ago.

See link http://vintagestarwars.net/star-wars-vintage-tusken-sand-people-hollow-cheek-tube-afa-85-straight-unpunched/

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Great info regarding the cardback history.

As a side note, in Snaketibes' photo, the Hollow Tubes has a noticeably darker Gaffi Stick.
Is this weapon variation peculiar to the Hollow Tubes or just random?

Jon

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
Great info regarding the cardback history.

As a side note, in Snaketibes' photo, the Hollow Tubes has a noticeably darker Gaffi Stick.
Is this weapon variation peculiar to the Hollow Tubes or just random?

Jon
The dark brown Gaffi stick is the one which came with the figure when I bought it loose many years ago. The stick is definitely not repro, but as with any loose figure you haven't owned from new, I'm afraid I cannot say whether that is the same weapon which was packed in with that particular figure on its card. I'd like to know the answer to your question myself, as wherever possible I like to display figures with their correct weapons, and if the dark brown one is wrong for the hollow tubes, I'll change it. hopefully a well-informed Forum member can help :)

Jeremy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom