THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 36 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
ep36.jpg

The Vintage Rebellion returns after a short hiatus to bring you an extended edition of the show.  Sadly the Podcast starts with the departure of one of the team as we say farewell to Pete.

Steve Savory joins us for this months interview as we discuss Pinewood Studios, Instagram and his Han Solo focus amongst many other topics.

Grant is joined by Chris Fawcett in Beyond The Toys, as they take a look at the history of Star Wars represented in the arcades, along with an insight into their appeal.

In this months Rebel Briefings, Edd Grant joins Richard to examine whether professional restoration will ever be acceptable, whilst updating the community with news on a theft and finish with some highlights from both Star Wars days.

On New Acquisitions, Jez once again leads our rebellion through the forums and facebook groups to discuss some recent gems added to various colelctions.  Plus there is even more evidence that Richards jokes aren't funny.

As well as all this we review Celebration Orlando and take a look back at the Running Stormtroopers achievements since the last show.

Kick back and enjoy The Vintage Rebellion.

Table of Contents
00hr 01m 11   Podcast Welcomes
00hr 01m 48   Farewell to a Podcasting friend
00hr 06m 34   Celebration of Celebration Orlando
00hr 41m 52   Podcast acquisitions
00hr 52m 37   Rebel Briefings
00hr 53m 29   RB : Will restorartion ever be acceptable?  with guest Edd Grant
01hr 12m 41   RB : Stolen Rocket Fett returned
01hr 17m 22   RB : Star Wars Day events
01hr 31m 14   RB : Baggiegate Update
01hr 36m 08   Interview with collector Steve Savory
02hr 30m 47   Song of the Month : Tonight We Break In
02hr 34m 42   New Acquisitions
03hr 46m 31   Beyond The Toys : Arcade Machines with Chris Fawcett
04hr 58m 23   Stormtrooper Run Concludes
05hr 19m 44   Special with Richard
05hr 23m 44   Rapid Fire with Steve Savory
05hr 28m 44   Podcast Rapid Fire question
05hr 31m 34   Feedback
05hr 40m 21   Podcast Close
05hr 42m 11   Out takes

Palifan

Sith Lord
Yes!

Sorry to hear Pete's gone, didn't think the reseal debate would effect him so much but he will be very much missed :( (just joking about the reseal comment :lol: ).

Ian

itfciain

Grand Master
Just starting to listen - very sad to hear that Pete has left - really enjoyed the chemistry you have with the guys Pete and hopefully you won't be a stranger even if you have grown a bit disillusioned with the hobby

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Thanks for having me on lads.
I couldn't understand why the guys would have an interest in interviewing me... I guess I've always thought there are far more 'visible and vocal' collectors out there as well as some truly unbelievable collections.
I just listed to it, I clearly mis-spoke on a couple of facts; the Rebel Commando I mention picking up is a Palitoy 65bk for example.
Overall though it was an amazing experience. I would recommend anyone approached to sign-up straight away, its not as scary as you might imagine :D

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Haven't listened yet, but sad to hear Pete has left the crew. I met him briefly in Orlando and he was a great guy, and his humour will be missed.

Can't you 'reseal' him back on the team? :D

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Another top pod cast lads.

Really enjoyed listening to Steve's interview, great to hear how other collectors started their transition from originally selling all their stuff to getting it all back again! Edd's expansion on the restoration thread here was also great, raised some valid and interesting points.

Also loved Jez's loss for words over the price of that bean wrapper :D :D :D

Already looking forward to the next one :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Haven't listened yet, but sad to hear Pete has left the crew. I met him briefly in Orlando and he was a great guy, and his humour will be missed.

Can't you 'reseal' him back on the team? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Another great episode guys, shame about Pete, will miss his cheek.

Palifan

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
Thanks for having me on lads.
I couldn't understand why the guys would have an interest in interviewing me... I guess I've always thought there are far more 'visible and vocal' collectors out there as well as some truly unbelievable collections.
I just listed to it, I clearly mis-spoke on a couple of facts; the Rebel Commando I mention picking up is a Palitoy 65bk for example.
Overall though it was an amazing experience. I would recommend anyone approached to sign-up straight away, its not as scary as you might imagine :D

Just finished your interview Steve and you more than deserved to be part of the great history of interviews on this podcast over the years. Really interesting the way you've gone about collecting and I didn't realise you did so much on other social media. Always love seeing your other vintage toys as well so keep up the great work with sharing the images!

Great podcast all round as ever and still a little more for me to listen to so happy days as I work away. :D

Ian

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Will enjoy listening while at work 2moro :wink:
Sad to hear about u leaving Pete :( U did my short interview for the podcast at FF 8) I have very much enjoyed listening to u and it's a big loss to the Podcast team :!: All the best for the future and hope to c u soon.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
Started listening today, just up to the main interview so will pick that up tomorrow.
Sorry to hear Pete has left, hes been a great listen along the way and undertaken some great features with the toy shop owner interviews specifically coming to mind.
Good luck buddy and stay in touch.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Listening now! Always hate the sound of my own voice :oops:

Shame to hear Pete has stepped down but more sad to hear he's feeling disillusioned with collecting. Hopefully it's not permanent.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm a couple of hours in... gutted to hear Pete has left. I always enjoyed hearing him on the podcast and particularly liked his interviews with the toy shop owners. Will miss his market rundowns. Hope he'll be back on occasionally. Sad to hear he's disillusioned with collecting, it's maybe not as much fun now that everything costs so much. It'll be hard to find another Pregnant Padme enthusiast to fill his shoes. Take a break Pete and take it easy.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Interesting conversation about restoration... I think it could be a good idea to professionally preserve pieces, but it depends who's doing the restoration.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 15.57.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 15.57.51.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 783

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just finished Edd's discussion with Rich on restoration. Some really good points raised and I think you've probably nailed it with the fact it will be considered acceptable when it's financially viable. Although that sounds an oversimplification of the problem it holds water: if it wasn't acceptable to restore an item the price of it would not rise.

Just a point about the comic restorations. A restored comic is never worth more than an original in the same grade. I'm sure it wasn't meant to come across that way but it did sound a bit like that and just wanted to clarify for anyone who may misunderstood. There's no hard and fast rule but an approximation would be that a restored example will be worth around 50% of an unrestired example in the same grade.

Because of this massive cut in value and because of the high cost of restoration it's still a relatively rare practice and professional restorations obviously only affect high value comics.

However, another interesting point was amateur restorations. You can get a water damaged and wrinkled comic book pressed flat again for little more than £20. This is, strictly speaking, restoration but if done with the slightest competence is undetectable. In this situation the cost is little, the financial reward (or just simple satisfaction of having a much nicer comic) is huge (water damaged books are worth around 40% less than non wrinkled books). This kind of restoration is popular. I guess we'll just have to see what the SW version of this is. Certainly flattening warped cards but I see creases on boxes and cards as a possible target market.

Great show as always. Really enjoying it.

Palifan

Sith Lord
All finished and another great show guys. I'm really glad you stick to a pretty regular release each month with these podcasts as mentioned by Richard, it's quite important and unlike Collectors Galaxy who haven't had a new show since mid Feb (hope there's nothing wrong there with those guys?!), it's an added plus that you can rely on a show to deliver each month.

Extra mention goes to Jez for his heroic performance with all the running, you really do make a difference to peoples lives and it's good to know that there are such generous people like you in the world.

Looking forward to the next one and you really will be missed Pete with all you added to the team! :D

Ian

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Another brilliant show lads, sorry to hear Pete has stepped down though.

Fantastic interview with Steve and the arcade game chat with Chris was great. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that Star Wars Battle Pod is actually based on another Bandai Namco game called Mach Storm DX: http://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/machine-sales/deluxe-games/mach-storm-dx/

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Caught the first 20 mins just now before MCM. Sorry to hear Pete has stepped down. He has a great sense of humour and entertaining podcast style that will be really missed. Being disillusioned with the vintage hobby gets us all from time to time.

All the best

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Interesting discussion about Slave 1, as Grant said I knew the street lamp story from the Sansweet book. But when you guys all said you didn't know anybody who had or wanted one as a kid - of course you didn't, because Boba Fett wasn't a main character! I agree with Rich, he's no more important in the trilogy than Nikto or various other Jabba goons who are on screen for a few seconds. Nobody cared about Boba Fett when the films came out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom