What Do You Resent Buying?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Collecting is supposed to be fun and what you buy is supposed to be your choice... However, anyone who's been at this game for any length of time probably knows that sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Sometimes, the 'need' to complete a run or to have 'it' all (whatever your particular 'it' might be!), leads some of us into buying things we might not really want, or at the very least, will never really love. That's not necessarily the same as finding a particular figure or item boring (although for you, it might be). I'm talking about that purchase which really made you grimace when you made it! :?

If none of this sounds familiar, then good for you; I applaud your excellent self-control. However for the rest of us, I'm curious to know what has made it into your collection that you frankly resent 'having' to buy. For me, it's always been the 'Imperial Attack Base'. As a playset, it's alright I suppose, but it wasn't in the film and I will never truly love the thing. However, because it's not a mini-rig (I do allow myself not to buy those! :)), and especially because it can be had emblazoned with that magical Palitoy logo, a boxed one has grudgingly made it into my collection.

Am I mad?... Possibly! Am I alone?... I doubt it! :)

What's your most resentful purchase?

Joe

Grand Master
Being forced to buy a Lobot MOC for a carded run must be a hobby low for most people :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
I'm sure people must despise having to buy Madine but I'm actually a fan. As to what I resent buying, mmm......not sure really, I'm not a completist so don't 'need' anything for a run really. I resent finding myself wanting something for a while only to discover it has become flavour of the month and thus outside of a price I would be happy paying.

Actually, 8D8, who the hell would want one of them?? :wink:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Joe said:
Being forced to buy a Lobot MOC for a carded run must be a hobby low for most people :lol:

I agree the figure is crap but I think he has one of the best cardbacks so I'm quite fond of him in MOC form!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Anything with a ROTJ logo.

There are some absolutley killer pieces in the Jedi line, like the Biker Scout pistol or the Y-Wing, but every time I buy such pieces I end up selling them on as I really don't like the packaging and it doesn't sit well in the rest of my collection.

It's not that I don't like the film, and the ROTJ era was when I was most 'active' as a child but I just don't like the packaging style. To me, it's not asthetically pleasing.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I wasn't happy paying as much as I had to for a trilogo Yak Face. He's not even in the top 25 rarest, yet is in the top five most expensive. It makes no sense.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
This is an interesting question. I immediately thought of a dozen items I don't want to pay what the current going rate is. Then I realised there's a reason I don't have them: because I resent the price. None of them are rare (VCJ, numerous, common Trilogo figures, a cleaner pop up R2 figure, etc.) but I consider them all too much for what they are.

I haven't resented the price on anything I've bought that I can think of. If I don't like the price I don't buy it. I ask about lots, including from forum members here, but if I think they're taking the mickey on price I walk away, won't even make an offer. If the price being asked is close to what I think it's worth I'll make an offer. But it won't be an offer I resent, if you know why I mean?

There will be a point in collecting when I resent the price I pay but that will be towards the end of runs. When the only figure I need is a Trilogo Madine I know I'll resent that price!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Weapons. Thankfully pretty much all my loose run are complete, apart from Luke Stormie and R2 pop up. Gonna just keep the dark blue black Stormie gun for Luke, as he could've come with one of these in the first place. The saber is a different matter however :( Think I'm just resigned now to not having one.

MOC'S would have to be the WBG for my Empire run.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
I'm putting a collection together of all the Lando figures across all ranges. If I go onto Ebay any day I will see a Vintage Lando General, but certain modern line Lando's only turn up now and again. The vintage one starts at £30 for an incomplete one, there can be a modern complete figure as a moc priced at £12 but may only surface say once a month.

It appears the last 17 lando is far more common than other lando's in more modern lines, yet I will eventually be forced to pay more for it. That I resent.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Probably in equal measure three MOCs to finish my MOC run:
- Amanaman; not a Star Wars figure, doesn't fit the aesthetic of the line at all, stupidly expensive
- Barada; see above
- Boba Fett; Perfectly average figure, stupidly expensive

I overlook Yak Face, because although he was stupidly expensive he is at least (despite being an ugly camel) much closer than the first two to the aesthetic of the line.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Great question!

I really resent buying a lot of boxed vehicles with missing/broken parts and trashed boxes. They look **** on display and are a nightmare to finish off.
I also resent buying the very few potf 2 bits I have but generally I've done ok. If you asked what I resented NOT buying, well that would be one hell of a list.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm pleased to see this question has struck a chord with some of you, and there have been some interesting replies. I only listed my number one most resented purchase (the 'Imperial Attack Base') in my original post, but an honourable mention must also go to the ever-tedious 'Vehicle Maintenance Energizer'. What a thrilling purchase that was! I really didn't want one, but felt I 'had' to buy one as it is actually from the film (if you look closely!), but my god it's a crap toy! Especially when viewed alongside the much more exciting 'Radar Laser Cannon' and 'Tri-Pod Laser Cannon' toys which came out with it! :roll:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Don't resent/regret buying anything Star Wars. Also don't feel the slavish need to complete "runs" so there's nothing I must have. I would never buy a Lobot or Madine or Bespin Guard Moc to finish something, they're lame and if I don't like it I don't buy it.

My biggest **** up was a loose mint G1 Optimus Prime. Really wanted it, did the old throw in a high bid right at the end to make sure, came back to bite me on the arse. Someone else did the same and I got it for prob about double what it was worth :eek: :lol: Yeah resented that slightly.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Was at that Star Wars Identities thing and saw the Lando General costume. It brought back bad memories of trying to get an original cape for the figure. Took me ages and had to buy and sell 3 figures to eventually get a half decent one with an original cape. Was sick to death of him by the end.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 607

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
Was at that Star Wars Identities thing and saw the Lando General costume. It brought back bad memories of trying to get an original cape for the figure. Took me ages and had to buy and sell 3 figures to eventually get a half decent one with an original cape. Was sick to death of him by the end.

Did you enjoy this show?
I have heard and read mixed reviews on this and can't make up my mind to go or not.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Darth Bobby said:

Did you enjoy this show?
I have heard and read mixed reviews on this and can't make up my mind to go or not.

There is a thread on this:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31475

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom