I have joined CAS's ownership team - PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW I CAN HELP YOU OR IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO SEE

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
http://collectorarchive.com/latest/rossbarrannounce/

Some of you may have seen this on the 12 back Facebook group, but if you haven't, I recently joined the ownership team at Collector Archive Services (CAS). Like AFA and UKG, we are a preservation, display and documentation company. My role is Chief Collector Relations Officer, meaning my job is to do positive stuff at the company to help the collector community and make collectors happy. I take that role very seriously. If there is any way I can help you come up with a custom acrylic job to help give a museum quality look to your collectibles, please don't hesitate to reach out. If there is an idea you have for how we can do positive things for the community, don't hesitate to ask. Please like our FB page for future updates: https://www.facebook.com/collectorarchive/

Here are some cool pieces we have done in new and creative ways:

3E5BBEAE-D68D-4551-A9E5-B3DCC615BEC9_zpspnitgqvj.jpg

439E098E-DA82-48EF-B187-4D22852B50E2_zpsf2suizmy.jpg

123CB952-58B7-4DE2-B2B9-1F584AA59CA1_zpsszc84hfm.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Ross, one thing I have recently suggested in the podcast thread is qualified sealing of boxed vehicles. I have a few MISB items which are only hanging on by a thread, and the tape will dry out soon. Grading won't stop that happening. What would stop it is a qualified seal by a grading company, my idea is a large/strong tape seal with a COA behind it.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
edd_jedi said:
Ross, one thing I have recently suggested in the podcast thread is qualified sealing of boxed vehicles. I have a few MISB items which are only hanging on by a thread, and the tape will dry out soon. Grading won't stop that happening. What would stop it is a qualified seal by a grading company, my idea is a large/strong tape seal with a COA behind it.

I really like the idea, Edd, and if it would help collectors, we would be thrilled to do it. I could see more than a few people complaining that we are messing with the integrity of the piece by adding new tape to it, but if it's to maintain the seal for something it is confirmed by us to still be sealed (for now at least), then perhaps there is less reason for people to squawk (although they still will....)?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah it's not ideal, but neither is letting the box become open. A COA from a reputable person is a good way to prove it was once sealed IMO, and could be done without grading or encasing the item. The problem with most MISB vehicles is that they were of course sealed in a factory by somebody who didn't care meaning the tape is often loose and badly applied. If a large piece of tape is attached properly, it won't fall off or dry out any time soon.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
That is nice to see a better way to display graded items, the Rebo band presented like that is much better. Ive always hated the way loose figures have their weapon side on so you have to turn the case to see it, instead of the way you have shown it with the Fett figure.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Well a new way of doing things & an open ear to collectors ideas of grading & displaying things can IMO only be a good things for the hobbies future & IMO long overdue.

I was TBH rather skeptical about yet another grading company at first, but I have to say it looks like CAS could be just what the doctor ordered for a brighter future of getting things displayed & protected in a more ethical & eye pleasing manor, that rebo band is streets ahead of the competition & looks pretty dam funky, it fairly well known I have never been a fan of standard loose or MOC grading, I like to see loose figures just that - loose as they display well, in the same vein I have never gone in for MOC grading as IMO it's always been an accident waiting to happen when it comes to shipping, so I look forward to seeing how CAS tackles that.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes good call Frank, display has always been my biggest gripe with grading, loose figures usually look crap with huge blocks of plastic supporting them. Find a good way to secure them in place without the need for visual supports and AFA will be dead in the water! And sellotape on the weapons looks really budget (not to mention will go yellow and fall off eventually)

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Frunkstar said:
I think I "may" have a possible solution / alternative way of doing MOC's in mind without the need of those IMO stupid outer support boxes for the bubbles - whats my percentage :lol:

Very interested, Frank. I have the flexibility to give huge discounts / freebies to folks that give us ideas that we carry forward. Pm incoming dude.....

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I was joking about the percentage, hell if I can do anything that could help prevent MOC's from being damaged in transit in future that more than payment enough for me ;)

Let me think on it & I'll get some sketches done see if it's viable

Lindo

Sith Lord
Can I ask how you become qualified to authenticate and grade items? Is it reputation only? Is CAS going to be cheaper than UKG as prices there have gone through the roof?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Only problem I can see here is a long time profitable see stainable solution, how much does this way of displaying cost and does anyone make a profit for their time? How long would it take one person to case 1000 Boba Fetts like that?

Great cases though.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Lindo said:
Can I ask how you become qualified to authenticate and grade items? Is it reputation only? Is CAS going to be cheaper than UKG as prices there have gone through the roof?

Our ownership team has over 50 years combined experience in the toy and collectible markets, and we have some of the most knowledgable experts in the toy hobby on our board of advisors - we three more people to be added soon.

http://collectorarchive.com/boardofadvisors/

Our cost generally is $29.99 per loose figure and $39.99 per carded figure.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
There is the problem that you are in the US, shipping items to you and getting them back after grading would be very expensive.

Richard_H

Grand Master
What about recasing AFA cases? Cracking them open and then redoing them in your style? I've cracked two open and both came apart easily but I'm aware that some may be a little trickier

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Bunglebubs said:
There is the problem that you are in the US, shipping items to you and getting them back after grading would be very expensive.

If you are grading the items or having us create a custom case (not graded) so that you can sell the items, then we have a solution for you. Our fulfillment service. Basically, you send the items to us to grade, we provide you high quality images that you can use to sell the item, we hold the item until it is sold, and once you sell it we pack and ship it to your buyer. never has to take the trip back across the pond.

Read all about it: http://collectorarchive.com/fulfillment/

In addition, you don't have to be a seller to use the service. If you want packages sent to us, we hold them, and then send you one big consolidated package, you can use fulfillment for that.

Any questions, send me a pm here or on FB.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Richard_H said:
What about recasing AFA cases? Cracking them open and then redoing them in your style? I've cracked two open and both came apart easily but I'm aware that some may be a little trickier

We have already done that for a lot of collectors that prefer our 99% UV resistant cases over the AFA ones, and would be happy to do it for anyone that wants us to do so.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Ross_Barr said:
Bunglebubs said:

If you are grading the items or having us create a custom case (not graded) so that you can sell the items, then we have a solution for you. Our fulfillment service. Basically, you send the items to us to grade, we provide you high quality images that you can use to sell the item, we hold the item until it is sold, and once you sell it we pack and ship it to your buyer. never has to take the trip back across the pond.

In addition, you don't have to be a seller to use the service. If you want packages sent to us, we hold them, and then send you one big consolidated package, you can use fulfillment for that.

Anything I get graded is for me, im not into collecting to make money. Items that are shipped from the USA gets hit by our lovery chaps at HM Customs who put a nice 20% VAT charge on it and them Royal Mail slap another charge on top just because they can. It is very expensive for anything over £18 and that is including the shipping charge. Its very expensive living here :cry: the company here UK Graders offers a UV coating service to all of their cases too.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Bunglebubs said:
Ross_Barr said:
Bunglebubs said:

Anything I get graded is for me, im not into collecting to make money. Items that are shipped from the USA gets hit by our lovery chaps at HM Customs who put a nice 20% VAT charge on it and them Royal Mail slap another charge on top just because they can. It is very expensive for anything over £18 and that is including the shipping charge. Its very expensive living here :cry: the company here UK Graders offers a UV coating service to all of their cases too.

UKG is a great service; I agree with you 100%. Just want to clarify that when a previously owned item is sent to us or anyone else outside of Europe for appraisal / archiving / etc purposes, there should be no VAT. It isn't a purchase of a new item that should be subject to tax. We mark our custom forms for items shipped outside the U.S. to clarify that, and no VAT or similar taxes are levied.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom