3D Printers and Scanners

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I was visiting a supplier of mine recently that has the scanner and software to make a quick 3D scan and on screen model for the replica items we sell at the sites. This means they don't have to completely re model the items in wax from scratch each time as they can 3D print the item (at any scale) and wit some quick trimming and tidying they have a base model to start a new sculpt from or a new scaled model for an alternate purpose; such as taking a 30cm sculpture item and shrinking it with pretty perfect detail to the size of a thimble so it can be put inside a snow globe...

So, as part of their demonstration they started scanning a cat model, pretty standard tourist humour and part way through they said, "oh, wait a minute, we should scan something more relevant... how about one of your items"... in a split second I mis-read the 'lets scan a model we make of one of your castles' for something more personal... I reached in my pocket and I pulled out an Emperor figure I picked up at a boot fair the weekend. Lots of laughs and then they had the figure in hand and scanned it.

One hour later (I insisted they make him at least double scale, they did three times) as I didn't want any fakery being done and this was in hand:

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

It was pretty shocking how easy this was to do and pretty impressive as to how much fun you could have with this kind of kit if using it for the right rather than wrong reasons. I guess there is a similarity to Gentle Giant scans and creations, but effectively in an instant, there is of course a potentially darker option to all this tech. Lets remember this is a prototyping printer, not a high end one they did this on, so thee is no fooling anyone with the finish even at the correct scale, their though best kit can be almost line free and they seemed to suggest it can print multiple colours too! :shock:

I was going to trim him up and paint him, but the more I look at him, the more I like him just the way he is.

Be interesting to hear thoughts and of course if anyone else has seen this kind of kit in action themselves.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Both brilliant and scary.

I'd love a LH 3x scale like that emperor!

3D printing has come on so much since I first looked at it a few years ago, guessing the equipment used for this one is top industrial rather than a home one though.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I have been thinking about 3D printing for a while now, when and it is when they become more common, not an if, they will be a double edged sword, another thing to worry about.
But this is not quite yet, so lets enjoy this sort of thing...
The Emperor looks great, can you take a picture with the original for a sense of scale?
What are the pillars for?
The other thing that instantly struck me was that you had an Emperor in your pocket, I doubt that this something that would be slipped into many conversations :lol: :shock: :lol:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
I have been thinking about 3D printing for a while now, when and it is when they become more common, not an if, they will be a double edged sword, another thing to worry about.
But this is not quite yet, so lets enjoy this sort of thing...
The Emperor looks great, can you take a picture with the original for a sense of scale?
What are the pillars for?
The other thing that instantly struck me was that you had an Emperor in your pocket, I doubt that this something that would be slipped into many conversations :lol: :shock: :lol:

The pillars are used by the printer to support the model as its printing... you can I believe set them to be much finer, but this was a swift print, so those settings weren't finessed. You can also change how it builds the internal structure too; honeycomb or grid etc.

Yes, I'll take a pic of the two side by side in a bit

Who doesn't carry a beater figure everywhere they go?!?!

wrighty

Sith Lord
Any one seen the guy on FB, Christopher Zuk with the 3D printed screen accurate Star Wars guns and blasters? Check it out www.procoprint3d.eu I have a couple of life size 3D printed Jawa blasters and they look cool as hell.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Here is the 3D printed Jawa Blasters

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 06.57.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 06.57.05.png
    118 KB · Views: 699

Richard_H

Grand Master
They are miles away at present of fooling people. I've access to a 3D printer and find the plastic brittle. Also, heat badly affects the plastic.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for the pictures of both Emperor's, I agree, don't paint him, leave as is, looks really great.
I might take the support pillars off though, assuming he's stable enough.

Really like those Jawa blasters, got me thinking about a Storm trooper one, now that's an idea, anyone? :idea:

PS: thought your interview on the podcast was really intrested well done, you came across really well, ever thought of joining them now there's a position open, or is it too soon.:shock:

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
That's really impressive.
If I had access to that bit of kit then I'd probably knock out a few tribute pieces for display.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
They are miles away at present of fooling people. I've access to a 3D printer and find the plastic brittle. Also, heat badly affects the plastic.

Thank the good Lord :!:

Russ J

Jedi Master
Wow the Emperor and Jawa blasters are spot on 8) ...

For doing bespoke oversize pieces like them these printers are great...I don't no that much about 3d printers but i bet they aint cheap to run at a guess though ?

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Steve, are the company who did that Emperor for you available for 'cheap private work''?

Guessing a few focus collectors wouldn't mind getting one of those scaled examples

;-)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
robpmarsh said:
Steve, are the company who did that Emperor for you available for 'cheap private work''?

Guessing a few focus collectors wouldn't mind getting one of those scaled examples

;-)

I can only ask...

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I've long thought that the Micro playsets would be the perfect candidates to enlarge up to the 3.75" scale... They'd be great fun as customs whilst also having the authenticity of the era and the Kenner design.

header.jpg

wrighty

Sith Lord
The guy I bought my Jawa blasters from just listed these if anyone is interested!!

Attachments

• IMG_1805.PNG
    IMG_1805.PNG
    162.5 KB · Views: 499
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom