Header image

Fake Leia Pistol

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
21B
New User
New User

Re: Fake Leia Pistol

Postby 21B » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 am

I've bought two Leia blasters from this seller in the past few weeks. Had no idea they were fakes (typically only one available at a time, though I should've noticed I bought two from the same guy at different times.

Tempted to leave scathing neg feedback right now, as it's ridiculous that this scum hasn't been called on on this.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:36 pm

I did the exact same thing, 21b. He gave me my money back on request after I became informed thanks to this thread.

sparkysx
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby sparkysx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 am

can't see the epm's on those imperial blasters on the ebay auction, apart from that they look very good.

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 am

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 am

aussiejames wrote:Image

You might need to help us out a little bit with what to make of the picture James (I'm on the edge of my seat though :D )?

Ian

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am

These are all fake ( & sold as such) The Leia pistols are the ones initially mentioned in this thread ( a second 'type' came from the same batch) there were rumours of fake Jawa blasters & Imperial blasters and here they are. The Imperial blasters are 'easy' to spot. Note the distinct diamond cross hatch pattern on the hand grip ( similar to the 'Taiwan' blaster ) but has a different barrel end and shape to the handgrip & side clip than the original version. They have made there way over to the US ( snakriverman ), many available on German ebay and being sold in bulk in the UK as well. To all those that still believe they are Palitoy overstock :lol: :lol: :lol:

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 pm

aussiejames wrote:These are all fake ( & sold as such) The Leia pistols are the ones initially mentioned in this thread ( a second 'type' came from the same batch) there were rumours of fake Jawa blasters & Imperial blasters and here they are. The Imperial blasters are 'easy' to spot. Note the distinct diamond cross hatch pattern on the hand grip ( similar to the 'Taiwan' blaster ) but has a different barrel end and shape to the handgrip & side clip than the original version. They have made there way over to the US ( snakriverman ), many available on German ebay and being sold in bulk in the UK as well. To all those that still believe they are Palitoy overstock :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well that was a depressing read :roll:

Good to have some clear pictures and descriptions though and hopefully this will help at least a few people from getting caught out. I'm so glad I have all I'm ever going to have of loose figures with weapons as it does look to be a bit of a headache now a days.

Ian

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Wow what a thread. Christ, navigating the minefield of repro nowadays is a nightmare. So glad and thankful that we have the forum resources such as TIG (in particular) and people such as James to help inform collectors. Keep up the good work.

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 pm

James could you go into a bit more detail about the Imperial Blaster differences ? Because i'm comparing those in the Ebay thread to those on Imperial Gunnery and I can't really see the difference, thanks

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 am

This is a fake- the handgrip crosshatching is nice clear intersecting lines that create a diamond pattern

Only two other real Imperial blasters have a similar diamond cross hatch pattern. Those being the 'Taiwan' V5 & Takara blasters

If you look at the barrel end, shape of the handgrip & side clip you should see the differences

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 am

Hi James, thanks for the pics. I'm ok with distinguishing the Leia Blaster and Imperial Blaster, but the Jawa Blaster is a little more difficult. Assume it's similar to the v1 blaster with raised bump. Is the identifying factor that it looks blacker and smoother than the dark blue / black variant? Are there any differences with the handle etc?
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 am

aussiejames wrote:This is a fake- the handgrip crosshatching is nice clear intersecting lines that create a diamond pattern

Only two other real Imperial blasters have a similar diamond cross hatch pattern. Those being the 'Taiwan' V5 & Takara blasters

If you look at the barrel end, shape of the handgrip & side clip you should see the differences

Does the new repro imperial blaster float in water ? :?

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:56 pm

Just a thought but is there any way of telling what's real and what's fake by the weight of them ?

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:30 am

Very few people will have access to scales that would weigh that accurately. The Jawa blaster has an injection point at the front of the barrel, The Imperial blasters is at the back- no original has these.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah even my ebay scale that weighs in increments of 0.1 grams wouldn't be enough, you'd need a scale that can weigh in increments of 0.01 or less.

But I don't think even that would be an accurate way to test because these toy factories didn't produce these weapons to precise weight standards, and weapons when clipped off the sprue by workers would leave varying amounts of sprue material still attached.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”