Diorama - do or dont?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I wanted to share some pics of the Battle of Hoth diorama that the Torquay Museum currently has on display. I know most collectors display their figures in a straight forward sort of way and let the object do the talking, but has anyone tried or been tempted to pose figures or playsets and 'do a diorama' style display?

IMG_34627.JPG

IMG_34694.JPG

IMG_34716.JPG

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
That looks great - would love to have that in my room, sadly I have a shortage of space... And a shortage of AT-AT's too! The best I could probably stretch to is replicating box art.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I think it looks great I would like to do this but suffer from a lack of space also. I did attempt it with a Lego setup my son has to at at's and a few snowspeeder we picked up a load of hoth rebel soldiers but the Lego snow troopers are a tenner a piece. It's not as near as good as a vintage setup.

x-pack

Grand Master
Absolutely! Dioramas rock!

If I had the space then a snowy scene, or maybe a death star set up would be on the cards.

This snow diorama reminds me of a store display that was in the window of Harrods back in the day.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I think that most would like to show off their loose figures with a diorama, but as mentioned before, space is the issue, I assume that's why everyone lines theirs up on a shelf.
I wonder if I could talk my wife into setting up an Tatooni desert scene in the lounge :eek:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Years ago when I was first building my collection, but hadn't yet got any of it on display, I intended to go down the diorama route. However, the years went by and my tastes changed, so by the time I actually could display stuff, I no longer wanted to do the diorama thing.

To do dioramas properly, you usually need multiples of many items, be very good at kit-bashing / model making, plus need lots of space! If you have all those, then they can look fabulous, like those in the pictures above. If you don't, then personally I prefer a more standard display.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Looks great Matt! I really like the explosions and smoke...

I have a mini diorama in my collecting room... I used a single shelf in a billy bookcase and created the Jabba throne room. An arch behind him and steps to the left. Filled it with Jabba goons and a few other tattooine inhabitants and of course a modern slave Leia to finish it off!

If I had more space, I'd love to have made a Rancor pit on the shelf below too

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Wow I've learned a new word. 'Diorama' sounds like the perfect way to display your collection and not lock it in the attic like me. Defo the best way to enjoy what you have but as many have pointed out it's a space issue (pardon the pun!) :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I think dioramas are great and I'd love to build some myself. Have thought about turning pigeon holes in my cabinet into small scenes. So much scope - Tattooine, Hoth, Endor etc. The big problem is that for good dioramas you need lots of horizontal space which nobody has. Most of us display in a vertical way with cabinets and shelves up the wall. You'd need a good table space like Hornby railway tracks have which can take up a whole room and as Rich said before long it'll be covered in dust and ****. I've had an idea for a long time to build the Bespin landing platform with the Falcon on it attached to the wall with a little section of Bespin and the door on the wall. You could put it 5-6 foot off the ground so it wouldn't be in the way too much. I started building a massive 3 3/4 inch scale AT-AT but I don't have time to finish it at the mo.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Richard_H said:
and a massive dust issue. it'd need encased in plastic.
Couldn't agree more! Whenever I see an impressive diorama or large collection out on display on bare shelves, my first thought is always, 'Wow, you must enjoy dusting!'. I know that's rather unfair on those collectors who can't afford or don't have the space for a cabinet with a glass / perspex front, but it doesn't stop me wincing at the thought of the layers of dust building up on everything.

Anything I have on display is safely behind perspex as I hate dusting with a passion! Thank God there's no ironing involved in Star Wars collecting or I might have to quit the hobby completely :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom