Help with possible fake 20 back card.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I have bought this Jawa 20 back Star Wars fulling knowing that it was a re seal.
But now that I have received it I have my doubts about the card back.
The reasons for the doubt are that at the top and to a lesser extent the bottom there it appears that it may have been trimmed, really poorly. :(
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG

Could this card be a repo, or has it just been trimmed at some point.
I have offered it up against other Star Wars cards and the size appears to be the same, and the gap between the card edge and Star Wars on the back is slightly different on all my cards, so does not prove anything.
IMG_0518.JPG

The bubble apears to have a whaffle pattern and also there is what appears to be the litho stuck to the bubble close to the bottom on the left hand side and this matches exactly the card back. :D
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

So I have things that make me feel ok and others that make me question the card, can someone help please...
I have attached photos, if more will help please just ask.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 348

x-pack

Grand Master
I'm really no expert but on first glance it looks ok. It looks aged rather than completely fresh.

Other guys may be able to point out flaws with colouring or the bubble placement.

Palifan

Sith Lord
It looks good to me as well, I don't think I'd be concerned at all about it and enjoy having it in my collection.

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
It looks legit to me. Making truly convincing repro cardbacks is really, really hard, thankfully. Most people don't use the correct hole punch and most won't bother with anything other than inkjet printing, which results in highly unconvincing end products. To get a real-looking card you would really need to use a similar manufacturing process to that which made the originals, which is expensive and something most people wouldn't bother with if using it to reseal a card. It might be worth the expense to a criminal to try to perfectly recreate the backing card if they were intending to perfectly 'Toy Toni' a vinyl Jawa to it and try to pass it off as the real thing, but there's a reason Toy Toni used real cardbacks; they looked like the real thing rather than repros, because they were the real thing. Repros generally suck ass!

Your card looks real because it is. When the original vintage cards were cut / punched from the larger printed / lithographed sheets during their manufacture, it wasn't uncommon for there to be edge artifacts like those at the top and bottom of your card. It's not a sign of poor cutting as such, but simply a property of the cutting tool / technique used. Your example is slightly more pronounced than most, but just out of interest, I have examined a Kenner 20 back Jawa card back that I own myself and it has similar edge markings to yours, so perhaps the 20 back Jawa card cutting die / tool was slightly more misaligned than most 'back in the day'.

Hope that helps :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for the advice and information guys, really appreciate it.
You have all put my mind at rest, it wasn't so much about the money, more a case of not wanting repo in my collection.
Interesting about the uneven top of your 20 back Jawa, Snaketibe, suspect that you are correct and the die cutter was miss aligned.
Certainly learn something new everyday in this hobby.
As you say Palifan, I have slipped him into a GW case and will enjoy. :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's what attracted me to this in the first place, as I as I have not seen or had one before.
Really pleased to add this to the collection.
Thanks for the comments.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom