Improving dented bubbles

Palifan

Sith Lord
Just came across this tip and thought I'd share it with you - http://www.toyshield.com/tips-on-improving-dented-bubbles

It's not something I've tried and have heard of doing this sort of thing before but I was impressed by their results. I can see how this could be a risky move with a vintage bubble but maybe there are circumstances where people might give it a go, just go slowly is what I'd advise, baby steps with this sort of thing.

Ian

Commander Clint

Padawan
That's a neat way of fixing a dented bubble.
They are showing a vintage 1984 Kenner Super Powers figure bubble. They should be similar, if not the same as Kenner ROTJ & POTF bubbles.

I'm assuming that a couple of attempts would be needed to get good at it, with out melting or making a mess of the bubble completely.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I melted a Trilogo AT-ST Driver bubble many years ago trying the hairdryer method. Mind you it did only cost me a fiver off ebay.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's a top tip, thanks for posting a link. Those are some great results shown.

A word of caution. I have now seen two Amanaman Trilogo bubbles that have be wrecked by ham fisted attempts at something similar. I think Edd had one that had become almost a dome due to overheating the bubble and it shrinking (Edd didn't do this himself, BTW!). I also have had one where someone has tried a hair drier and it also shrunk one of the bubble's corners. It was lovely and smooth but a lot smaller than the rest of the bubble!

I'm sure Mr. Bullock will weigh in with his knowledge of plastics but the trilogos and the regular Jedi bubbles are probably made of different plastics, hence reacting differently (also, one yellowing a lot more easily than the other). Obviously plastic thickness has a lot to do with the heat tolerance, too.

In short, I'd definitely try this with some regular bubbles but not with a Trilogo.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
The results look great in the pictures, but as Simon notes above its probably not as easy as it looks. I have two MoC that have clearly been 'treated' to this type of restoration, one is very curved around the top, the other is a bit shrunk at the base. Both are Tri-logo bubbles, so super thin, but also the most likely to be trashed too.

If you're at all tempted, be careful is my advice... I certainly won't be trying it myself, too scared!

I would be interested in the 'gaffa tape' bubble repair I've heard of, but never seen explained. Does anyone have details on that one?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
The results look great in the pictures, but as Simon notes above its probably not as easy as it looks. I have two MoC that have clearly been 'treated' to this type of restoration, one is very curved around the top, the other is a bit shrunk at the base. Both are Tri-logo bubbles, so super thin, but also the most likely to be trashed too.

If you're at all tempted, be careful is my advice... I certainly won't be trying it myself, too scared!

I would be interested in the 'gaffa tape' bubble repair I've heard of, but never seen explained. Does anyone have details on that one?

Steve, I think it's the same method Edd talked me into with my Amanaman and as described on the post: create a "Y" from some tape by folding a short piece in two but only sticking the two together part of the way up. Stick the two sticky parts on the indented part of the bubble and grip the little handle created by the part of the tape that is stuck together. I used magic tape rather than gaffer as I'm a novice at it and I know gaffer tape can stick like buggery. Gently pull on the handle and sure enough (on trilogos) you can persuade the dent out. My Amanaman was like a cereal bowl when I started but looks much better now.

ODB

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:

I have successfully pulled out a few dents on trilogo cards. You are best to use several pieces of tape, each one making a ring/loop (the sticky bit on the outside) and then using a pen or something rigid to put through the loop and using that to pull the dent out. You then spread out the force across a larger area so no need for heat and you aren't going to overstress one part of the bubble. Its never going to be perfect but it can make bubbles look a lot better.

I wouldn't use a hairdryer on them at all.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Judging by the comments it looks like we should all keep the hairdryer away from the Trilogo bubbles due to how thin they are. I still think there might be a good use for this method if people take care with it as I'm still very impressed by the results in the link I posted.

For me I may just buy a $1 Hotwheels car for my boy and crush the bubble a bit and see if it works, always worth a try I say and maybe I'll even be able to fix my Palitoy R2 moc one day......I can live in hope :)

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Excuse me for asking...whats a hair dryer? :lol: :roll:

If you're anything like me, a follicly challenged man, then I can maybe see why you've never heard of a hair dryer :lol:

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
Funnily enough I literally did a similar bubble improvement yesterday on a trilogo bubble that was verrry dented in, this only works though for a bubble that's dented inwards on the front face. I got one of those little Nerf type foam bullets with the little suction cup on it, and pressed it in the middle to start sucking the bubble back up again, bit by bit and gradually working my way toward the top & bottom of the bubble to gradually lift up the entire bubble. It worked in lifting the entire bubble back up but was still left with the tight creases in the 4 corners of it, you also need to keep your fingers on the outside seal of the bubble in case you lift it off the card :?

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Dannywhiteley said:
I melted a Trilogo AT-ST Driver bubble many years ago trying the hairdryer method.
Me too, with a Kenner Biker Scout. Theres a thin red line between getting it soft and melt it away.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Palifan said:
Mini99 said:
Excuse me for asking...whats a hair dryer? :lol: :roll:

If you're anything like me, a follicly challenged man, then I can maybe see why you've never heard of a hair dryer :lol:

Ian
I looked it up on the internet.. its what I call a flannel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom