What annoys you the most in this hobby?

subzero

Sith Lord
Iv'e been collecting vintage Star Wars for 2 months now, but also other vintage MIB/MOC 80's & 90's stuff for several years from all kinds of franchises. The main thing that really makes me angry is when a clueless seller ships your vintage, rare & valuable MOC item in either a bag or a padded envelope instead of a box, and then uses bubble wrap to protect it thinking it will stop it from getting crushed, resulting in smashed in bubbles and bent cards. Also using the items original box AS the shipping box and selotaping your address all over it completely ruining the box, ggrrr!

So as the title suggests, what's the no.1 thing that makes you annoyed/angry the most collecting in this hobby?

subzero

Sith Lord
x-wingMark said:
Reproduction stuff would be my number one. Hate the stuff!

That's my no.2 at the minute, which I suspect will quickly become my no.1 over the next year lol

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
"For sale, 500, no international shipping"

The internet is not ****ing America!!! specify a currency and your location, don't ****ing assume! Grrrrr!!!!

Also Repo, it's Repro, ****ing Repro.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Repro weapons fakes everywhere. I'm a loose collector and find the increase in this stuff is out of hand. Even at toy fairs and collector events it seems to be becoming the norm to sell a repro weapon or part and still demanding high price.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
At this moment in time, it's wankers on Ebay who cancel an order because they didn't get the right price.....
If you don't want to sell it for 99p, don't ****ing start it at 99p!

Had two of these recently and it really makes my piss boil :evil:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The most annoying thing in this hobby are the prices. Most collectors are increasingly priced out of the market for the more sought-after items. This used to apply to just the rarest MOCs, but now it's filtering down even to loose figures. Three days ago this battered R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber with next to no sticker left on it, a battered dome, but an original (dirty) saber sold on eBay for £195.02 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-R2D2-Pop-up-Lightsaber-Vintage-/222547528272?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=AI45HIzn%252BwFEOJIjR80Apkg7eLo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557). That's insane. And it's not just R2; these days a nice loose Yak Face routinely sells for £200+, and can even go as high as £480+ according to the sold listings on eBay!

Vintage Star Wars seemed expensive when I first started collecting it again in the early 90's, but those prices were giving the stuff away compared to today's. I wish I'd focused more on buying Vintage in the 90's, as these days I'm never likely to own everything I could have done back then for a tiny fraction of the price.

subzero

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
At this moment in time, it's wankers on Ebay who cancel an order because they didn't get the right price.....
If you don't want to sell it for 99p, don't ****ing start it at 99p!

Had two of these recently and it really makes my piss boil :evil:

I had this happen to me last year for some Star Wars comics, could not believe my luck how cheap they went in auction ( won fairly of course ) and I was as happy as a kid waiting for xmas, guy messages me the next morning and says he's cancelling it because he actually meant to start the price at 'X amount'. Was a bullshit lie because the auction was on for 7 days and he had all that time to end it and start again lol.

And wow that smashed up R2's price lol, I will never own one..

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
It's not something that annoys me most but it is something I've become more aware of recently. Ebayer sellers who add the Buy It Now or Best Offer but are not open to offers unless it's within 5% of the asking price :roll:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
So far, all of the above...oh and the expectation of sellers in that "its Star Wars its got to be worth a fortune!"

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
For me it's losing sight of what the hobby is all about, collecting what floats your boat, learning and researching, building your collection and joining with other collectors in a comradery that all can join.

There are so many awful and tragic things that affect all our lives, and we all need a little oasis, that's what SW and collecting is about for me.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
The hobby is pretty annoying now with people getting away with fraud etc... I'm going to stick with it, but selling up my mint loosies and going down to a beater run instead, the bug has gone a bit now.

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
So much dis-trust the fun has gone and the "it's vintage Star Wars so ££££££" comment every time you pick something up :cry:

ODB

Jedi Master
Snobbery and price bragging are my current pet hates. This is a hobby, something for many people that escapes them from everyday troubles and is ultimately something you do for fun. When bragging about how much you've spent or have to spend or looking down on someone because they choose to collect something other than what you deem to be worthy then the fun goes and it becomes pointless.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
People thinking cause its Star Wars in must be worth a fortune, repro crap, the joy of going to a car boot sale now has gone, to many toy dealers getting there before you do and trying to sell it you for ££££££££, you win something cheap and its cancelled.

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Agree with all. My No.1 peeve is the recent acceptance of repro weapons in the market by money grabbing conmen - it can obviously only poison the vintage hobby!? Repros should all be melted in a huge lava vat chamber like at the end of T2! A close No.2 peeve is uneducated people assuming their son's old played with (broken) toy collection is worth a fortune because it's Star Wars. Well here's some education for those poor ignoramuses... IT'S NOT! :lol:

Section 8

Sith Lord
Greed and price rises due to a boom in bell end collectors. It has basically ruined the chances of me ever completing what I wanted to collect.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Closely echoing ODB's point: the assumption that because you've knowingly overpaid for something makes you a "high end" collector. No, it makes you an idiot. An example would be the $1,500 Vader on Palitoy 65 back currently being peddled by a well know Facebook character. Some dick will probably end up paying $1,200 for a £250 (yes, even in that grade) figure. Then they'll post it up in the exact same group it was sold in, thanking the seller for "allowing" them to buy it and then be fawned over by equally moronic bell-ends saying "sweet piece" and "great buy" and other such sycophantic shite. Wake up: you're idiots.

Another one echoes Section 8's gripe: It's a subset of collectors that seem to be a UK-only phenomenon. They all seem to focus on a group of particular cardbacks and then be in the greatest hurry to complete the run ahead of their mates. As such, they massively overpay for things and force the price for that cardback up. This group caused me to abandon a first 12 run due to their impatience and cock-measuring.

Do I sound a bit sore about the above two? Yeah, guess so. This hobby doesn't need anymore help inflating prices but both these groups add an x-factor. I think it's a coincidence both pretty much exclusively dwell on FB, Edd would say he wouldn't expect to find them anywhere else ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom