Imperial Gunner: AT-ST Driver's twin

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
This is undoubtedly old news to some but was new to me so I can't be the only one.

On the Imperial Commissary Facebook group a member posted up the below photos asking what the deal was with her new Imperial Gunner (left of the two figures). There were clearly some sculpt detail differences although it has to be said, not as many differences/variation in some figures such as the Biker Scout.

It was soon pointed out that the figure on the left was a painted AT-ST Driver with a transplanted IG head! All these years and I'd never noticed the figures figures had, too all intents and purposes, the exact same bodies.

Of course, to make this scam work you have to have a good IG head and I can't say I see many IGs missing limbs.....but maybe this is why :lol:

IMG_9166.PNG

IMG_9167.PNG

IMG_9168.PNG

Carl has used his great powers of recollection and the search function to provide a link to one of these covered in the ebay section:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32776&p=436237&hilit=imperial+gunner#p436237

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
That's uncanny! It's amazing how completely different the bodies look when they're different colours :). I never noticed the similarity before, and it forced me to dig out my 'Star Wars Costumes' book and check out the originals. Having done that, I have to say that the AT-ST Driver figure's torso is a piss-poor likeness! It's vaguely similar, but hardly accurate. And as for the gunner, it's hard to tell what the torso / jacket should look like in Star Wars as it's mostly covered by a piece of armour / body protector which renders the Kenner Gunner figure also inaccurate for Star Wars, but possibly correct for Jedi when the armour / protector piece was ditched (it's hard to tell from this photo!):

6cf565470f9753c1b600389420ecc188.jpg

Mind you, I'm sure there are plenty of 501st members out there who know exactly what each uniform should and shouldn't look like! If any of you are reading, feel free to chip in!

;-)

spoons

Grand Master
Never knew that Si :shock:

I'm off to check my gunner in case I've had a fake all these years!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
What I am assuming happened here, although I don't know without checking, is that the at st driver wax sculpt was altered slightly, given a new head and used to make the imperial gunner.

It happened quite a lot in the vintage figure range, which is why certain wax sculpts do not exist. The stormtrooper for example, is gone forever. Research indicates it was simply remoulded into the hoth trooper. Lazy sculpting but easier and cheaper than starting from scratch. Han hoth from Han is another.

Here is some further reading. Not sure if the IG and ATST sculpts exist or where they are.

http://blog.theswca.com/2016/02/do-overs-repurposed-action-figure.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom