Grading

Andy968

Padawan
As you can see I am new to collecting anything! What are the terms used to grade items? I've recently seen a seller trying to sell an U grade item, is this just ungraded? Is there an organisation that grades Star Wars figures and vehicles? I will also search for the answer. Thanks.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Grading is a scheme in place where a few companies will charge you a fee to give you an opinion on your item. That opinion will be assigned an arbitrary numerical value and be encased in acrylic. The casing process means that your item is often less stable and safe when in transit, but will look okay on display.

The grade is as stated just an opinion.
Many will suggest that these opinions are valuable and others that they are not.
Graders have a history of making some very notable mistakes; fake items (carded figures, loose weapons) for example have been graded.
Grading cases have been proven to cause damage to items in shipping.

Yet... graded items will change hands for a third or even double the price of the ungraded item, so it ca be a profitable process.

U Grades are assigned to a process where a vintage item is removed from its packaging to then case it as 'Untouched' or 'Uncirculated'. Only one grading company (AFA) will still do this and will still assign this grade, God only knows why... it is essentially destroying a vintage item to then preserve it?!?! makes no sense! The other two main grading companies (CAS and UKG) both have an anti-U grade stance; which can only be a good thing for the hobby as many folk do seem to like grading.

Further to this CAS offer a preservation grade as an option to directly fly in the face of U grading. They will grade a damaged item that might have been U graded by an other company and assign the grade based on the packaging contents. This would most likely be best seen on a figure within a battered card or cut card, so you can still get a high grade (opinion) from them of your item and they will preserve the piece without the wonton destruction caused elsewhere.

Alternate options are to check out GW Acrylic in the UK or the US, both hold a variety of cases you can put your item in and assign your own opinion to that item; in your mind, on a spreadsheet or if you want on a sticker just like the graders do.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Savory100 is obviously against grading, its like everything else good and bad views. I personally like it as you get your items presented nicely for display, its sealed in the case so nobody can take it and get greasy finger prints all over or potentially damage the item further. There is also the fact that graded items sell for much higher than ungraded which I don't really understand as it doesn't cost that much for MOCs compared to what they can sell for.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Bunglebubs said:
Savory100 is obviously against grading, its like everything else good and bad views. I personally like it as you get your items presented nicely for display, its sealed in the case so nobody can take it and get greasy finger prints all over or potentially damage the item further. There is also the fact that graded items sell for much higher than ungraded which I don't really understand as it doesn't cost that much for MOCs compared to what they can sell for.

Not at all, I'm ambivalent to it. I don't see the point of it, so I won't support it, I also don't laugh at folk that pay for the graders opinion either... it (as all forms of collecting) is the individual's choice how they spend their money and what they attribute value to, I have simply relayed the facts involved.

You are more likely to damage an item (particularly a MoC or loose figure) once cased by a grading company in transit than by anyone touching it, if they were to ever remove it from a removable case alternative.

Andy968

Padawan
Thanks for the helpful responses, very useful. So, would it makes sense to grade a sealed figure for instance? Would that help preserve the packaging and contents? Or would you opt to leave it without the the acrylic box?
I don't own any collectible figures, but one day I hope to be able to collect. As someone that is new to this, it looks like a minefield.

Cheers
Andy

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
SAVORY100 said:
Bunglebubs said:

Not at all, I'm ambivalent to it. I don't see the point of it, so I won't support it, I also don't laugh at folk that pay for the graders opinion either... it (as all forms of collecting) is the individual's choice how they spend their money and what they attribute value to, I have simply relayed the facts involved.

You are more likely to damage an item (particularly a MoC or loose figure) once cased by a grading company in transit than by anyone touching it, if they were to ever remove it from a removable case alternative.

Ive had MOCs arrive to me in far worse damaged by shipping condition in a slide bottom case, you are only going to hear about the ones that arrive from posting damaged but not the thousands of others that arrive safely with no damage though aren't you? The slide bottom cases look terrible for baggies and multi packs compared to the custom made graded ones that can also be coated with UV resistance. Grading also gives you a good idea the condition of an item to prior to buying it, specially when you are buying online from another country etc.

itfciain

Grand Master
Yes, these look "terrible"

(oh and they are 95% UV resistant as well)

3 Pack Mailer -1.jpg

3 Pack Mailer -2.jpg

10954762_679419602166789_1914298254_n.jpg

Display-18.jpg

Early Bird -3.jpg

New Mailer Case2.jpg

New Mailer Case3.jpg

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
The only thing I would say with regards to shipping mocs in either slide bottomed or sealed graded cases, is that at least with a slide bottomed case you have the opportunity to load the space around the bubble with bubble wrap and packing peanuts, in the sealed case that can't be done which has led to figures bursting through the bubbles. It's very much personal preference; I like to be able to get the carded figure out of the case and actually hold it too.

itfciain

Grand Master
To be honest I wouldn't ship MOCs in acrylic cases full stop - they look great for display but there is less opportunity to wrap and protect the bubble - I would use a well padded star case with bubble support and then sent the case in the same box seperate

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Grading apart, the pics that Iain has put up, show that you can pop your vintage in an acrylic case and therefore get the protection and displayability, without the need to send off your items and risk damage in the post, but still have the benefits that acrylic bring to the table :D
Added bonus you can take your vintage out of the cases as and when you want :wink:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Bunglebubs said:
SAVORY100 said:
Bunglebubs said:

Ive had MOCs arrive to me in far worse damaged by shipping condition in a slide bottom case, you are only going to hear about the ones that arrive from posting damaged but not the thousands of others that arrive safely with no damage though aren't you? The slide bottom cases look terrible for baggies and multi packs compared to the custom made graded ones that can also be coated with UV resistance. Grading also gives you a good idea the condition of an item to prior to buying it, specially when you are buying online from another country etc.

Why would you, as a buyer, ever allow a seller to ship any item inside a slide bottom case?!?! The point of a slide bottom case is that you can remove it to add protection to the item should you ever ship it; that protection cannot be added when a MoC is sealed in a grading case... I've never allowed anything be posted to me inside a slide bottom case so I've never experienced any such damage. I've bought four graded items however and two arrived damaged... to be fair, I've been very unlucky, I know many who have had no issues too. The risk is undoubtedly greater though in a case (sealed or sliding), than removed and correctly wrapped for shipping.

I half agree on the baggies; they can indeed look bad in sliding bottom cases, but im yet to see a good graded case solution too. I know Frank rates the UKG one, I don't like the taught baggie look though, so that's not for me either. Sadly I don't know what the solution is...

I broadly disagree on the multipack point, I rarely see a good looking graded set. They're always unbalanced with an odd visual weight distribution with the paperwork or box in an odd place; you can of course get a custom case of your own design/layout which would take in personal aesthetic preferences. I have no issues with the small pack and mailer cases you can get off the shelf.

Grading does indeed give you an idea of condition, you can look at the number someone has given it and make assumptions based on that information, but that's only an idea. Photos of the item out of a case will give you a much better idea though and you can request images from every angle of every detail.

GW Acrylic sliding bottom cases are all automatically UV rated at 95%, you don't have to upgrade to this option, not sure why you make this point.

As I said, I don't care either way on grading. Clearly we won't agree as I said in my last post; each to their own.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I am afraid to say the grading is a very subjective subject, and at the end of the day it's up to you how you want your collection to display.
To me the QW Acrylic cases are second to none.
You don't have to send your figures or MOCs away to be graded.
Grading can take a long time and maybe you won't see your figures for up to two months.
If you always have some spares cases your new purchases can be popped straight away so will be safe and sound, again my opinion.
Saying that I have bought some graded MOCs on eBay and forums, but always worry more that the figure will have tried to escape from the bubble than non graded purchases.
As said it's all subjective and best left up to yourself, just enjoy what you collect.
If you ask 100 people you will most likely get 100 different opinions.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oh and remember grading is only someone else's opinion on YOUR figures.
Enjoy YOUR collection :D

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Most sellers will or should pack them well but Ive bought something off a member here sent inside a sliding case and it arrived damaged! Either type of case or any kind of wrapping will stop the figure moving about inside the bubble though does it?

I disagree, the custom made multipack cases look great, though the AFA ones do not look as good. I didn't know that gw cases are uv coated hence why I mentioned that, but any acrylic has to a degree some uv protection. Photos are one thing, seeing it in person is another, grading like ive already said gives you a better idea of its condition. What you may think is mint may not be to another so it goes both ways.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Absolutely right; nothing can stop a figure moving about inside the bubble, but if that bubble is supported externally by bubble wrap etc. then that will help absorb the impact of figures bouncing around in the bubble by dissipating the shock. The carded figures that principally suffer from this are the ones in trilogo bubbles (especially the heavier figures i.e. Emperor, Anakin). I'm always more nervous when buying a graded item as the bubble can't be supported during transit - bought one the other day that was a 180 mile round trip away but felt much more comfortable going to pick it up myself; if it was ungraded and properly packaged (i.e. star case and bubble wrap / peanuts around the bubble) I would have had it posted.

lejackal

Grand Master
Iain will sell you a case for circa £12 and I am happy to tell you it looks great for a £1 donation to charity if that helps?

AllThings80s

Youngling
Grading is done very much in the now. You could invest a fortune in graded items, but in 10 years time will that grade be relevant to that item anymore? You could have a clear bubble gone brown, a backing card become sun damaged and the bubble starting to pull away from the card, etc...

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:
Iain will sell you a case for circa £12 and I am happy to tell you it looks great for a £1 donation to charity if that helps?

:lol:
I knew when I saw this post this was going to be like stirring up a hornets nest...

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Lom said:
Absolutely right; nothing can stop a figure moving about inside the bubble, but if that bubble is supported externally by bubble wrap etc. then that will help absorb the impact of figures bouncing around in the bubble by dissipating the shock. The carded figures that principally suffer from this are the ones in trilogo bubbles (especially the heavier figures i.e. Emperor, Anakin). I'm always more nervous when buying a graded item as the bubble can't be supported during transit - bought one the other day that was a 180 mile round trip away but felt much more comfortable going to pick it up myself; if it was ungraded and properly packaged (i.e. star case and bubble wrap / peanuts around the bubble) I would have had it posted.

The one that damaged the bubble I received was externally supported with bubble wrap inside the slide bottom case. So that isn't 100% full proof either.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
itfciain said:
Yes, these look "terrible"

You cannot display the catalogue that comes with the 3 pack mailers can you? To me those tall cases do look terrible, but if you had read what I said properly I was talking about AFA!
3 Pack Mailer Leia, Ack & Madine 02.jpg

Would rather have my figures cased like these

Nein Palitoy Mailer 01.jpg

Or this

aman.jpg

Rather than like this

wally.jpg
or

sand.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom