What's your most nostalgic piece?

subzero

Sith Lord
Mine's my R2-D2 ROTJ MOC figure, I used to get the most excited just laying my eyes on this thing when I was little out of any other figure or ship, and spent many days sitting at the kitchen table with my R2 copying and drawing it, I even forced my whole family who were watching Star Wars one day to sit waiting for 10 mins while I had the tape on pause so I could draw him lmao!.. Just seeing that carded R2 used to give me a buzz spotting it in a shop, in a way owning this figure for me is the closest i'll ever get to time travel back to experience it again.

What's personally the most nostalgic figure or ship that you want/already own and why?, that one piece you would have to keep if you were to get rid of everything else, because it means the most to you?

wrighty

Sith Lord
I think this have been covered multiple times, try the search function.

For me the grail item is an item I can't get but want in my collection. If I can get it then I will have another grail and so on etc. :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
wrighty said:
I think this have been covered multiple times, try the search function.

For me the grail item is an item I can't get but want in my collection. If I can get it then I will have another grail and so on etc. :lol:

Lol so every piece is a grail then :D

FYI, I found a thread asking what people consider to be the holy grail, but it was based on the rarest piece out there etc, not just a piece that means the most personally.

Section 8

Sith Lord
Even though i didn't purchase it myself my grail would be a SW Palitoy Princess Leia Moc. My elder brother bought a Star Wars Leia Moc from a shop in Dolgellau, Wales around 1978 when I was only 1 year old. I can only presume it would be a Palitoy but this would be the 1st figure bought which started the whole journey.

Palitoy_12_Back_Leia_Organa.jpg

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I'm a bit confused about this thread...

By definition a holy grail should be something that you've worked on or hunted for a lifetime... or at least a number of years... something that's always just out of reach but you keep pushing to achieve it, the ultimate item you may even give up all else to possess.

A holy grail is most definitely not something you just need to save up for and is readily available every other month if you look around a bit.

The R2 and Leia MOCs mentioned so far (IMO) are therefore not holy grails. They are however clearly most wanted items or most nostalgic items.

Thread seems a really good idea (reminds me of Carl's cut card R2), just maybe mis-titled? Given the idea is good, should the thread be called 'your most personal or nostalgic wanted item'. That way you won't get this thread confused with the Grail one.

subzero

Sith Lord
SAVORY100 said:
I'm a bit confused about this thread...

By definition a holy grail should be something that you've worked on or hunted for a lifetime... or at least a number of years... something that's always just out of reach but you keep pushing to achieve it, the ultimate item you may even give up all else to possess.

A holy grail is most definitely not something you just need to save up for and is readily available every other month if you look around a bit.

The R2 and Leia MOCs mentioned so far (IMO) are therefore not holy grails. They are however clearly most wanted items or most nostalgic items.

Thread seems a really good idea (reminds me of Carl's cut card R2), just maybe mis-titled? Given the idea is good, should the thread be called 'your most personal or nostalgic wanted item'. That way you won't get this thread confused with the Grail one.

Duly noted, I see your point there, I was along the right lines I just didn't think about the literal meaning of 'holy grail' :?

I like the nostalgia behind the Leia figure, I think maybe that's where my deep connection comes from with R2 now thinking about it, because it was one of the very first figures I ever remember playing with being about 4 years old.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Most nostalgic, that's easy - my first ever Star Wars action figure.

Attachments

• InstagramCapture_ced5fbc6-bad9-4b5b-b8e9-1ebd41d38639.jpg
    InstagramCapture_ced5fbc6-bad9-4b5b-b8e9-1ebd41d38639.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,064

grinchy

Sith Lord
My most nostalgic figure is luke x wing, first figure I ever got and opened on Christmas morning, I love all of them but looking at my loose Luke just takes me right back, one day i'll have him mint on card, and he'll stay that way this time :D

lejackal

Grand Master
Easy one for me, this R2-D2, not my childhood one but is is an R2 on cut Trilogo card

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,049

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Mine would be the X-wing die cast, remember having one when I was 7 or 8, don't know happened to it and I will get a nice MOC someday even though ive got quite a few of the other die casts MOC I just haven't come across a good condition and decently priced one yet :lol:

Palifan

Sith Lord
Probably my most nostalgic item I have are my 4 Star Wars Shreddies backgrounds which I cut from the back of the boxes back in the day and applied the transfers to that came inside the serial packet. I've no idea how I managed to keep these for all these years but along with a few other things I attached to my makeshift scrapbook (old ice-lolly wrappers and chewy sweet wrappers), it's about all I have from my Star Wars childhood.

I guess the transfer backgrounds always reminded me of my love of Star Wars growing up and I could never bring myself to throw them away thankfully.

Ian

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm lucky enough to still have my childhood collection and any item is a direct link back to my childhood so they are all priceless too me but if I was to single out any item it would be the box I managed to keep somehow, that still has all my palitoy posters instructions, bounty hunter cards and still the remaining cut out names ready to post off but never were, the contents frozen in time from about 1981 :) i'll dig it out and post a pic soon

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
The most nostalgic piece I own is my Biker Scout and Speeder bike; as noted on The Vintage Rebellion podcast last month, its the only surviving toy from my childhood collection.

The most nostalgic item that I don't own, but would love to own would have to be a Return of the Jedi shelf edge strip; so evocative of that era and the products I bought as a child.

These are more commonly called a shelf talker as we seem to use the US retail terminology (though in the UK a shelf talker would be a clear plastic almost springy thing that bounces a colourful logo or similar in front of the shelf/product; I think they might call these danglers)... I find it funny how we've adopted this US term neglecting our own retail visual merchandising terminology.

Having worked in retail for over twenty five years across many blue chip and some **** retailers, across visual merchandising and buying, launching stores across Europe too, I find it funny that only in the SW community have I ever heard this cross over of shop display language.

Any others worked in this sector in the UK and seen these term differences?

Gaz46&2

Padawan
I really only had ROTJ figures as a kid like the Ewoks, Skiff guards etc so those are the figures that mean the most to me. I have a really nice ROTJ AT-AT Commander MOC and it doesn't fit into my collection at all, so I will sell it on at some point. Give me a battered old Squidhead or Bib Fortuna figure any day of the week.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
AT-AT for me still have photos from opening it on Christmas Day and now my son plays with it most days.

Still have the box as well.

Also one of my earliest memories is when some 'big' boys brought an AT-AT around to my house, this was when I lived in Greenfield, so must have been 3. My main thought when I saw the AT-AT that day was wow I don't think I will ever get one of those, so Looking back it was my first grail item as well.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
It's the first SW items that appeared on the shelves, that hit the nostalgia button for me....

Factors/Fascal Stickers
Waddingtons Jigsaws
Letraset Action Scenes
Letraset Stationery
Helix School stuff
Star Wars Weeklies etc. etc.

If I had to pick one, it'd be my full sets of Blue/Red Topps SW Trading Cards, which have somehow survived 40 years.
Must have spent a fortune as kid, trying to complete the set.

They're a bit moth-eaten now and worth bugger all, but I wouldn't swap them for anything.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Gaz46&2 said:
I really only had ROTJ figures as a kid like the Ewoks, Skiff guards etc so those are the figures that mean the most to me. I have a really nice ROTJ AT-AT Commander MOC and it doesn't fit into my collection at all, so I will sell it on at some point. Give me a battered old Squidhead or Bib Fortuna figure any day of the week.

I am more than happy to supply you a battered Squidhead or Bib for you AT AT commander MOC, just send me your address... :lol:
No... I know what you mean! :roll:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Mine's also all my remaining childhood bits. When I hold any of them I get that nostalgia. It freaks me out to think how long I've had them, that I opened them from new and that I played with them 35 years ago. If I had to pick one it's my battle damaged X-Wing, a Christmas present from my Nan. My Grandfather (her husband) died that year so it must have been a difficult Christmas for her and Mum. I was just a little kid loving the Star Wars toys but that piece means a lot to me now because it came from her.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom