Antique stores hating ebay.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I was in Whitby, North Yorkshire at the weekend. Plenty of antique shops, although mostly filled with junk. I called in to one (Collectibles past & present) which had quite a few loose vintage star wars figs. Horrifically overpriced - incomplete bog-standard 'played with' figs with no weapon/accessories for Ã'£10-15. They were selling a Palitoy ESB Snowtrooper card back (torn) for Ã'£18 I think. Crazy! I made a polite comment about him having a nice selection of vintage figures - said its hard to find them outside of ebay. Oooh, they don't like ebay do they, these antique chappies. Lets just say he went on a little rant. I smiled to myself - I know these chaps have to make a profit to pay the rent, but why would someone pay an extra 50-100%+ when they can have them delieverd to their door via the internet.

Sorry I know this post isn't too interesting but I've heard scurillous things said about ebay from more than one antique trader - I wonder what it is they have against it apart from that they can't compete

spoons

Grand Master
I think its the tax thing that annoys them. Anyone can set up and trade on ebay, and undercut official dealers. As yet the policing of dealers on ebay is fairly non-existant, the full time ebay dealers should pay tax but I bet there are a lot that don't.

I would prefer going to a shop than buying from ebay, but as you say what's the point when you pay half the price.

inzaman

Sith Lord
I imagine its also mainly to do with the fact that us as individuals now have a large market to sell to, in the past you would mainly take these type items to an antiques or toy dealer, they would offer you very little and then mark up a lot. That source of stock is now disappearing as you and i will just put unwanted items on ebay.

Dom

Jedi Master
100% correct, from Star Wars to anything now. Its no longer a case of going to a toy fair and 1 guy having stuff, the world is just a lot smaller and there is much more competition.

jayjedi

Sith Lord
for the better too. i know ebay pisses us all off sometimes , but without it i would never have the collection i have today . yes ebay i sshit but its better **** than what preceeded it :D

mash

Sith Lord
very true lads Ebay is a big car boot sale that is on indefinitely (not just sundays) and approximately 100 million potential buyers.

actually how many people are registered with Ebay??

mash

one mans **** is another mans gold :D

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
All very true, and I reckon they know it. No way I could have found half the items I've bought through Ebay if it didn't exist. If I did I would most likely have paid triple through shops. I didn't tell him what prices you can pay for equivalent pieces on ebay - but I think he probably knew that all too well. They probably all have ebay accounts themselves too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom