Header image

What do you do when you hit a Brick Wall?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

What do you do when you hit a Brick Wall?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 am

What do you do when there is nothing to buy or trade within your collecting focus do you wait or expand your collecting focus?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Dorsetmark
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: What do you do when you hit a Brick Wall?

Postby Dorsetmark » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 am

Sell it all cheap and collect something new :D

Lom
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Lom » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:52 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:What do you do when there is nothing to buy or trade within your collecting focus do you wait or expand your collecting focus?

Jack it all in and sell me your AT-AT Drivers!

Actually, I think a lot of it depends on a combination of your personality and financial means; if you need a regular 'fix' and you can afford it then there is an almost endless array of areas you can branch into. That said I don't think it is worth doing something for the sake of it; if your heart's not completely in it then I guess you won't really enjoy it and this really should be fun.
Sith happens.....

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:00 am

Hit a wall after 6 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:13 am

With me I will probably end up putting time and money into upgrading my collection, those odd little niggles here and there that don't particularly bother me all that much but I know I will want to fix when there's nothing else to buy. For example; that one loose figure with a slightly loose/wobbly arm, the other figure's blaster that has a 1mm piece broken off it, that one figure with a couple of tiny spots of paint rub on the chest, the MOC figure who's bubble is dented in, the other MOC with a crease in it, etc etc. All those little niggles will be upgraded to a more higher grade.

So yeah this is what i'll do for 'the man who has everything'.. replace, upgrade, perfect!

And then after that?.. i'm fucked really aren't it? lmao :lol:

I'm guessing this is the point maybe where some might turn to restoring toys and buying/selling as a trader, keeps them active in the hobby where they have nothing else to buy for themselves.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 am

Sit back and enjoy your collection maybe? That's why most people collect in the first place.
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Enjoy and appreciate what you have.

You don't have to constantly buy and trade to enjoy the hobby, there is research for a start, as that's where you uncover new aspects of interest and improve your knowledge, which generally leads to other focus areas and sideline collecting.

It all depends on why you collecting, if your in it for the long haul, love the SW hobby and are passionate about it, or you sell up and collect something else to feed a habit!
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm

What are you going to do if you ever complete your collection?

I guess what are your collecting goals. If you just want to complete your palitoy run then you are pretty much looking at a lifetimes work and the pieces you want aren't going to come up often, no matter who you ask or what money you offer, so patience is going to be a must. If you can't wait you are probably in the wrong hobby.

Invest some time networking. Attending events and meeting people. Maybe look for something else you like or might want.

It's all down to what you want to do.
Looking for: A fair priced ungraded trilogo Yak Face MOC (Condition is not so important - no cracked bubbles or broken seals though)

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:15 pm

What brick wall? I think you'll find that Star Wars collecting is a never ending spiral.

If you like all things AT AT related, maybe move onto AT AT Commanders to accompany your Drivers.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:19 pm

do what a lot of us do......pivot, sell some stuff and look at other areas.

it's a marathon not a sprint, sure if u don't buy stuff not it'll be more expensive later on.....but you need to think 'do i really need this' at times. I've let multiple items go and short-term regretted it but things come back around and sometimes the deal you get can be better than before.
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Are there quiter times for buying/trading throughout the year or is it fairly consistent?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Are there quiter times for buying/trading throughout the year or is it fairly consistent?

Short answer.....no
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Always quieter June , July and August, people on hols or going on holiday. However sometimes you can bag a bargain :D
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

robpmarsh wrote:do what a lot of us do......pivot, sell some stuff and look at other areas.

it's a marathon not a sprint, sure if u don't buy stuff not it'll be more expensive later on.....but you need to think 'do i really need this' at times. I've let multiple items go and short-term regretted it but things come back around and sometimes the deal you get can be better than before.

Very true, you miss what you think will never show up again and then several days or weeks later there's another one, iv'e only been back in this hobby again for about 3 months now and already iv'e been gutted from missing out on several deals, then within the same month managed to get hold of what I missed and at an even cheaper price than last time.

Patience is key!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm

U really need to listen to what the guys r saying mate!! Collecting what u go for, It is an absolute joke for u to talk about hitting a brick wall after being back in the game for only a few months:!: Not sure if u have enough respect in terms of rarity and desirability for the pieces ur looking for or indeed have mate :?:

If u want to last out u gotta have the patience and resolve. U should b able to keep happy and positive considering how well u have done so far-a lot better than many will ever do :!:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”