What do you do when you hit a Brick Wall?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
What do you do when there is nothing to buy or trade within your collecting focus do you wait or expand your collecting focus?

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
What do you do when there is nothing to buy or trade within your collecting focus do you wait or expand your collecting focus?
Jack it all in and sell me your AT-AT Drivers!

Actually, I think a lot of it depends on a combination of your personality and financial means; if you need a regular 'fix' and you can afford it then there is an almost endless array of areas you can branch into. That said I don't think it is worth doing something for the sake of it; if your heart's not completely in it then I guess you won't really enjoy it and this really should be fun.

subzero

Sith Lord
With me I will probably end up putting time and money into upgrading my collection, those odd little niggles here and there that don't particularly bother me all that much but I know I will want to fix when there's nothing else to buy. For example; that one loose figure with a slightly loose/wobbly arm, the other figure's blaster that has a 1mm piece broken off it, that one figure with a couple of tiny spots of paint rub on the chest, the MOC figure who's bubble is dented in, the other MOC with a crease in it, etc etc. All those little niggles will be upgraded to a more higher grade.

So yeah this is what i'll do for 'the man who has everything'.. replace, upgrade, perfect!

And then after that?.. i'm ****ed really aren't it? lmao :lol:

I'm guessing this is the point maybe where some might turn to restoring toys and buying/selling as a trader, keeps them active in the hobby where they have nothing else to buy for themselves.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Enjoy and appreciate what you have.

You don't have to constantly buy and trade to enjoy the hobby, there is research for a start, as that's where you uncover new aspects of interest and improve your knowledge, which generally leads to other focus areas and sideline collecting.

It all depends on why you collecting, if your in it for the long haul, love the SW hobby and are passionate about it, or you sell up and collect something else to feed a habit!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
What are you going to do if you ever complete your collection?

I guess what are your collecting goals. If you just want to complete your palitoy run then you are pretty much looking at a lifetimes work and the pieces you want aren't going to come up often, no matter who you ask or what money you offer, so patience is going to be a must. If you can't wait you are probably in the wrong hobby.

Invest some time networking. Attending events and meeting people. Maybe look for something else you like or might want.

It's all down to what you want to do.

Section 8

Sith Lord
What brick wall? I think you'll find that Star Wars collecting is a never ending spiral.

If you like all things AT AT related, maybe move onto AT AT Commanders to accompany your Drivers.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
do what a lot of us do......pivot, sell some stuff and look at other areas.

it's a marathon not a sprint, sure if u don't buy stuff not it'll be more expensive later on.....but you need to think 'do i really need this' at times. I've let multiple items go and short-term regretted it but things come back around and sometimes the deal you get can be better than before.

subzero

Sith Lord
robpmarsh said:
do what a lot of us do......pivot, sell some stuff and look at other areas.

it's a marathon not a sprint, sure if u don't buy stuff not it'll be more expensive later on.....but you need to think 'do i really need this' at times. I've let multiple items go and short-term regretted it but things come back around and sometimes the deal you get can be better than before.

Very true, you miss what you think will never show up again and then several days or weeks later there's another one, iv'e only been back in this hobby again for about 3 months now and already iv'e been gutted from missing out on several deals, then within the same month managed to get hold of what I missed and at an even cheaper price than last time.

Patience is key!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
U really need to listen to what the guys r saying mate!! Collecting what u go for, It is an absolute joke for u to talk about hitting a brick wall after being back in the game for only a few months:!: Not sure if u have enough respect in terms of rarity and desirability for the pieces ur looking for or indeed have mate :?:

If u want to last out u gotta have the patience and resolve. U should b able to keep happy and positive considering how well u have done so far-a lot better than many will ever do :!:

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
I really don't think you understand what you are trying to collect. You don't seem to grasp the ideas of collecting or community, let alone rarity.

Do you have any ideas what you are actually doing or why you are collecting in the first place? Other than having spare cash.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
im not a high end collector, but there are still hard to come by items that I pursue (vinyl especially, some modern lines that appeared briefly). You have to be constantly working towards it, new selling areas pop up all the time, auctions, facebook groups, people selling up, whispers rumours. There is no time limit on the hobby, no brick walls, just hurdles to negotiate.

I say embrace your brick wall. sit atop it. Take out that cigar and look around, over, down the side of it. Puff away and enjoy the taste as it wafts through your nose and throat. Then take a small hammer and chip away at a couple of bricks. You'll realise how much fun this could be. The cigar, the little hammer, the relaxing and sitting atop maybe staring into the distance, daydreaming. That wall becomes your friend. You fall in love.. you make love to the wall.. the wall gives birth to smaller bricks. you build a weird brickchild house to live in.. you start smoking stronger stuff.. things get weird.. you call yourself mr and mrs brick.. the police take you away..

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Brick wall?
not sure how anyone can ever hit a brick wall when collecting Star Wars, even if one is purely looking at Vintage, its pretty much unending.
Steve Sansweet must be sweating that he's going to run out of stuff to buy to feed his Star Wars obsession if you are after six months back at it :roll:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
naughtyjedi said:
I say embrace your brick wall. sit atop it. Take out that cigar and look around, over, down the side of it. Puff away and enjoy the taste as it wafts through your nose and throat. Then take a small hammer and chip away at a couple of bricks. You'll realise how much fun this could be. The cigar, the little hammer, the relaxing and sitting atop maybe staring into the distance, daydreaming. That wall becomes your friend. You fall in love.. you make love to the wall.. the wall gives birth to smaller bricks. you build a weird brickchild house to live in.. you start smoking stronger stuff.. things get weird.. you call yourself mr and mrs brick.. the police take you away..

Wow... :!: :?: :!:
What a way to sum up Star Wars collecting. I will never be able to think of it any other way again. Wow :!:

Jez

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
im not a high end collector, but there are still hard to come by items that I pursue (vinyl especially, some modern lines that appeared briefly). You have to be constantly working towards it, new selling areas pop up all the time, auctions, facebook groups, people selling up, whispers rumours. There is no time limit on the hobby, no brick walls, just hurdles to negotiate.

Bloody miss you mate :lol: Hilarious, but oh so true. Oh so Pete!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom