ive dabbled and modern is not for me....

poncho

Grand Master
some modern 3 1/4 have slipped into my collection

nah

i dont like them....

you cant beat the simplicity of the 70s80s figures in look and feel. the modern ones are too detailed and small and have no weight to it.

the only thing that draws me is the packaging and art work.

i do like some of the r1 figures and tfa figures but i think in general its because i have no emotional connection to them or the prequel or potf2 line.

subzero

Sith Lord
Agreed, and yep it's mostly about personal perspective I reckon, vintage Star Wars toys is what was around at that perfect time when we were kids so that's what we love the look of. If we looked at 50's & 60's toys we would most likely think they look like ****, but someone who was a kid in the 50's & 60's would think the toys from that time look and feel a lot better than vintage SW toys which to them would be more 'modern' toys from their perspective.

And 90's & 00's kids would look at vintage Star Wars and probably puke at the sight of them :lol:

P.S. I do see what you mean about vintage SW, to me they almost look like nice models, modern toys are just bleuurr!!

lejackal

Grand Master
I buy stuff every now and again, never tend to keep it long though although I do quite like the Jedi and Sith figures.
I've recently been getting the boy to match up his figures to the Sansweet book (which I'm now glad I kept) and have to say there are some nice modern figures in there so may be buying more soon ;)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I still have a soft spot (no not Romney Marsh :lol: ) for the orange carded POTF2 figures.
These were the first Star Wars figures that I purchased new in a shop.
I still remember sorting through for the best condition card.
It's all about memories this collecting thing, when you look or hold a carded figure it means different things to different people.

x-pack

Grand Master
I like the Vintage Collection line and some other good qualityfigures. Some of the modern figures I think of as being 'what if?' ...you know, what if Vader had a proper cape and removable helmet, or what if there had been a Moff Tarkin figure, etc etc

Our young lad likes to display them. Some are really cool

grinchy

Sith Lord
I collect both modern and vintage, love both of them, I love the nostalgia I get with my older figures and the packaging just hits that sweet spot
The modern stuff I just enjoy on a different level, can't really explain it, just that I enjoy both, I get why people just collect one or the other but for me Its both , vintage is still my first love though :D

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've picked some up over the years but have sold most of them on. They were of characters I liked from the films but have no emotional connection with figure wise. I've picked up TFA cards as they were cheap in the supermarket but on the whole it's not for me. To me collecting vintage is like preserving history. The sculpting on the modern stuff is a lot more sophisticated but generally I think it lacks the charm of the original stuff.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
All the money I've spent on modern Black series I could've bought a mint boxed Rebo Band which is what I'm after.
Modern's good, but can't beat the vintage stuff.

Mind you, there is some great stuff out there for niche markets.
I've bought a few Jakks figures. The K-2so is a great example.
And another line I like is the Bandai samurai movie realisation figures of Vader and a Stormtrooper which I got and also a few Bandai model kits.
I've knocked the Black Series on the head completely now.

Whatever modern I buy, its the vintage that gets pride of place in the display cabinet.

hellhippie

Jedi Master
when potf2 came out in 95 I went nuts as I had a complete keener vintage line and thought there was nothing left to get so I started collection whatever came out . I literally owned everything from 95 till 2002 in the package with many doubles . all the mail away stuff exclusives you name it . if it had anything to do with the 3 and 3/4 inch line I owned it . I woke up look at the endless supply I had amassed and sold every last bit of it . glad its gone I hated it to be honest . ive been a variant collector for years vintage wise and im much happier . I didn't know then that there was all these foreign variants and endless coo stamps . good riddance

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes the more realistic they get, the less interested I am. But I appreciate they are not for me. I loved those recent Alien figures that were similar to vintage, I'd love to see new vintage style figures.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I have 10 modern figures. The first 9 on Orange trilogo cards and a Han Stormtrooper Kelloggs mailaway. I quite like them, displayed with a period header I picked up for a song. Cant believe they are now 22 years old, yet when they were released in 95, it was only 10 years since "vintage' was avaliable at retail.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I think of POTF2 as modern and that line is over 20 years old :lol:
Back in 95/96 I did snap up a POTF2 Land Speeder, X-Wing and Falcon just before I got back into collecting vintage. I just loved the fact the same moulding was used for the vehicles and the advanced detail, colour and electronics was a wow factor at the time. Hated the dosed up steroid looking figures however :!: What a beast Princess Leia looked eh :lol: Soon got rid of those.
I do currently own the 97 Theatre edition Luke Jedi MOC and have a MOC Darth Maul and Battle Droid to commemorate all the mad hype of Episode 1 but that's it.
Vintage all the way 8)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I don't mind the odd modern figure, I've picked a few up over the years. Just anything I like the look of really from different lines, only OT characters though. I've got loads of the black Saga ones from 2006, all the OT ones of them. I like the figures we didn't get in the Vintage line like the Imperial Spy etc. Also figures we got but depicted slightly differently or packaged with a droid or something. The 30th Anniversary figures are cool. I think some modern are interesting.. some shite, and not as costly as Vintage. One day I'd like to have a small modern display. Vintage is still by far my favourite though.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I keep getting tempted by the really good sculpts, but the packaging is always terrible and then when I've opened them the plastic is nasty...
I see the appeal, but the simplicity of the original lines and the feel of the old plastic wins out everytime for me and just makes the new stuff inferior on every level

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
I keep getting tempted by the really good sculpts, but the packaging is always terrible and then when I've opened them the plastic is nasty...
I see the appeal, but the simplicity of the original lines and the feel of the old plastic wins out everytime for me and just makes the new stuff inferior on every level

That's a thought, I assume that the plastic used now is different to the plastic used for the vintage figures.
So I wonder if it will yellow the same?

Section 8

Sith Lord
Modern figures are like repro to me, especially the vintage lookalike line.

Edd "I'd love to see new vintage style figures."

Like Edd said I may be interested if they made new figures on same size cardbacks with vintage style moulds and articulation. That would be like a continuation of what we collect, and would have a different feel from all the modern tat.

Look at this **** for example. WARNING MAY CAUSE OFFENCE.

The-Power-Of-The-Force-2-Luke-Skywalker_Big_2.jpg

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
SAVORY100 said:

That's a thought, I assume that the plastic used now is different to the plastic used for the vintage figures.

It's possible it won't I guess, but I'm sure someone will step in on the science of it... I've seen plenty of Ep1 stuff in states of plastic degradation, but I guess that's all more than a decade old already, so things may have moved on... oddly the Star Wars 12 back bubbles seem to rarely Yellow, but the ROTJ almost always do, so who knows what evolution means...

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I do have trouble understanding who "signed" these off as a good idea :?
Not sure what facial expression they were after!?!
And as for the size of the weapons, I suppose you would have to be that "bulked up" to lift them :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
Mini99 said:
SAVORY100 said:

It's possible it won't I guess, but I'm sure someone will step in on the science of it... I've seen plenty of Ep1 stuff in states of plastic degradation, but I guess that's all more than a decade old already, so things may have moved on... oddly the Star Wars 12 back bubbles seem to rarely Yellow, but the ROTJ almost always do, so who knows what evolution means...

Yes, good point about the 12 backs, I have always assumed that the packaging was made cheaper as the line went on?
It's hard to believe that the POTF2 line came out over 20 years ago!
Makes me feel old!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom