Does size matter?

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
I got chatting about the size of items in another post and thought it would make for a great topic!
Think (Falcon/Rebel Transporter/At-At/12" Figures) as examples. Space is always an issue with collections so does this affect demand? When buying figures it doesn't even cross my mind! When collecting I always worry about larger items and storage, does anyone else have this?

subzero

Sith Lord
It definitely affects what I collect, I have a Rancor, AT-ST, AT-AT and that's it, I literally do not have any room left for large toys, i'd love to collect many more including the Falcon but I only have space left now for figures. If I had another spare room just for collectables then there'd be many sellers out there right now getting sales from me and at good prices too, I just physically cannot do it :(

I wasn't even going to buy my AT-AT the other week but finally decided to because it looked in so nice condition, I had to literally move my TV and get a bit of origami skills on to 'wedge' the thing onto the spare bit of area I had to sit it on ( i'm lucky there's no box for it too ). That's it now i'm finished buying anything else accept for 3/4 figures, unless I put things on my bathroom windowsill :lol:

With the teeny bits of free space I have left i'm favouring filling it with figures over ships & vehicles because I do actually have more nostalgia for the figures too, and you can just throw up an extra tiny little shelf anywhere you like and boom you have room for another 20 or 30 loose figures.

Sabreman

Padawan
I suppose it does to some collectors not to others, I live in a three bedroom semi with a wife and two kids so I don't have a spare room. So size matters to me as I haven't any space for larger ships etc, I recently sold my boxed At At which I now regret but I didn't have space for it.
I have a few display cabinets in our dining room, if I had a spare room I'd have a far bigger collection than I have now.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Yeah I think it definitely affects collecting habits. I've got a wall cabinet for figures and one large cabinet for everything else. It's got Mocs, loose creatures, loose and boxed ships - a bit of everything. The biggest item in it is a loose Imperial Shuttle and I've got a boxed Falcon on top. Thing is it's full now and it's meant I haven't bought anymore (big) stuff. I love the large ships and really want an AT-AT but I have run out of display space. Almost all my Vintage is on display, I don't really like stashing things. If I had more space I'd prob have a bigger collection and also have a small modern display/cabinet.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Sabreman said:
I suppose it does to some collectors not to others, I live in a three bedroom semi with a wife and two kids so I don't have a spare room. So size matters to me as I haven't any space for larger ships etc, I recently sold my boxed At At which I now regret but I didn't have space for it.
I have a few display cabinets in our dining room, if I had a spare room I'd have a far bigger collection than I have now.

I'm in the same boat as you so I let the kids have my bigger vehicles, it's a way of having them out and seen without causing arguments. :D

Ian

Sabreman

Padawan
Palifan said:
Sabreman said:

I'm in the same boat as you so I let the kids have my bigger vehicles, it's a way of having them out and seen without causing arguments. :D

Ian

I used to do the same when I was heavily into collecting Vintage Action Man, my son was four or five then and it brought me great pleasure watching him play with the Chieftan Tank and training tower.
My wife didn't twig on to the fact I used my sons fascination with them as an excuse to have them laying around the living room.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Well first and foremost, I would imagine for most collectors (myself included), money is the first determining factor as to whether you can buy something or not; if I don't have the dough, I don't buy the 'thing'! However, assuming you do have the money to buy what you want, then unless you're a collector who is happy (or at least prepared) to store larger items away and not put them on display, then space will always be a factor in whether you buy something. I would dearly love a set of full-size stormtrooper armour mounted on a mannequin, but I simply don't have the space, so I've never saved up and bought a set. Ultimately, unless you are prepared to seriously compromise your living space and exist surrounded by mountains of boxes or displayed toys, I guess most of us are limited by how much room we have to put the stuff we buy, which makes acquiring smaller pieces less of a problem than larger bulky stuff :)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I don't display my MOC yet so they are all stored in boxes in a cupboard which is a little sad I know. Given my bubble paranoia when I do display them I am going to try and display them flat which will reduce my display space. So I think I would probably avoid larger items like AT AT or Imperial Shuttle as they would be difficult to display flat and they are large and take up a significant amount of space.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
at the moment all I have is a shoebox full of about 60 loose figures and another one with jabba and rebo band in so not too bad.

when I was living in ealing we had a tiny flat and back then I had all the figures, ships and playsets loose but had to sell them all for space and to put the money towards more important things

the mrs is fine with just a shoebox in the wardrobe for now :)

Cymonguk

Padawan
pizzathehutt said:
at the moment all I have is a shoebox full of about 60 loose figures and another one with jabba and rebo band in so not too bad.

when I was living in ealing we had a tiny flat and back then I had all the figures, ships and playsets loose but had to sell them all for space and to put the money towards more important things

Do you sneak them out when she is out of the house and stroke them. Has she ever caught you with them in your hands? :eek:

Mine have been bought for my daughter some time ago (of course she loves Star Wars, honestly, yes even the figures from my Childhood). They are stored in one of those nice IKEA cabinets. My partner has not noticed that they are breeding so far, or if she has she hasn't mentioned it yet :)

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
Cymonguk said:
pizzathehutt said:

Do you sneak them out when she is out of the house and stroke them. Has she ever caught you with them in your hands? :eek:

Mine have been bought for my daughter some time ago (of course she loves Star Wars, honestly, yes even the figures from my Childhood). They are stored in one of those nice IKEA cabinets. My partner has not noticed that they are breeding so far, or if she has she hasn't mentioned it yet :)

:lol: I keep getting "what are you doing up there?" oh nothing.... "well you must be doing something?" erm im just having a tidy up

subzero

Sith Lord
pizzathehutt said:
Cymonguk said:
pizzathehutt said:

:lol: I keep getting "what are you doing up there?" oh nothing.... "well you must be doing something?" erm im just having a tidy up

Has this happened to you before? :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLRExJBmzcU

Pomse2001

Grand Master
pizzathehutt said:

I think most us started with a shoebox then we got 2 and more and more and more. Soon that will maybe also happen to you and before the mrs. know it you will have a whole room with star wars :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom