Old Comic Star Wars Adverts

Sabreman

Padawan
Apologies if this has been covered before but recently I bought a Comic I had never heard off just to have a flick through it, it was a StarLord from 03/06/78
To my absolute joy it had an advertisement for Star Wars Figures I had never seen before, so since them I have tracked down several more. They just look fantastic, it seems to me the art of advertising from back them was so much better, much like the amazing covers on magazines like Crash Magazine,of the eighties.
I even found an old advert for a Raleigh Grifter, magazines like Battle,Victor,StarLord, Battle Action Force all ran advertisements for various toys which bring so many great memories flooding back.
I just thought I would share a few I have found, I have laminated some so I can put them easily on a wall or at the back of a display cabinet. I plan on framing some of the better ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,706

Sabreman

Padawan
A few more pictures I have found, these are from Victor and Battle

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,703
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,727
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,705

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
I have a load of British comics at my Mums house. Lots of them from the early 80's are flooded with Star Wars/Empire adverts! The artwork is full of nostalgia and really captures the design & print methods of that era. I'll try dig some out and post my findings :wink:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yeah, there's a huge variety of SW adverts for everything from watches and jewellery to figure, model kits, kites and stationery. The art is almost always amazing and some are by mighty fine comic book artists such as the amazing Brian Bolland. The best ones are invariably the Palitoy ones as they have the double whammy of having the nostalgia for the toys and the best art.

Currently putting together a database of as many adverts across UK publications as I can find. I have over 1,000 Marvel UK comics so it's a good starting point but I think that number will have to significantly increase to be in anyway comprehensive.

Once I've gone through what I've got I'm going to try and find the time to put them up on a site as a reference guide. So far I've seen more than 60 different Star Wars adverts. The guide will show what advert appears in what comic or magazine, how many times it appeared and so it's relative scarcity. Should be able to throw some visuals in, too, to show the timeline of when each advert appeared. All a bit geek but I think it could offer some interesting insights into the marketing of the products in the UK.

Sabreman

Padawan
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Yeah, there's a huge variety of SW adverts for everything from watches and jewellery to figure, model kits, kites and stationery. The art is almost always amazing and some are by mighty fine comic book artists such as the amazing Brian Bolland. The best ones are invariably the Palitoy ones as they have the double whammy of having the nostalgia for the toys and the best art.

Currently putting together a database of as many adverts across UK publications as I can find. I have over 1,000 Marvel UK comics so it's a good starting point but I think that number will have to significantly increase to be in anyway comprehensive.

Once I've gone through what I've got I'm going to try and find the time to put them up on a site as a reference guide. So far I've seen more than 60 different Star Wars adverts. The guide will show what advert appears in what comic or magazine, how many times it appeared and so it's relative scarcity. Should be able to throw some visuals in, too, to show the timeline of when each advert appeared. All a bit geek but I think it could offer some interesting insights into the marketing of the products in the UK.

That is fantastic, please keep us informed with your progress on this as I find it very interesting. I love flicking through seventies and eighties comics, you just never know what your going to find or what hidden memory it's going to unlock from your childhood. I was born in 1970 so was a big comic reader with the likes of Look in, Battle then Battle Action Force being my main ones.

Sabreman

Padawan
I know it's not Star Wars but even the Palitoy name just seems to mean so much to me, I remember owning a couple of Poketeers as a child so when I found this advert I had to track a couple down.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,643

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Sounds like a great bit of work Scruffy, I'll look forward to seeing it. A very useful resource I imagine.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
The ads project has been great fun. Getting the time is the only bugger at the moment. Hope to make more progress soon and will put up a thread when I'm in a position to ask for others to check through their comics.

In the meantime, I have to post these up in response to the Pocketeer advert :) Seeing the variety of addsade me go out and pick some up. The "Pile Up" was from a mate who found it in a charity shop for 50p and the rest are unused from an eBay buy. Still only cost about £6 each and I love them. Really takes me back to pre-Gameboy and smartphone days!

IMG_9316.JPG

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
:eek: Wow those pocketeers bring back some memories. I had forgotten all about those. I definately remember having PileUp and the one with the 4 race horses, cant remember its name now.

Edit: Just found it on evilbay it's called Horse Racing strangely enough :lol:

Sabreman

Padawan
Scruffy, you have made my day posting that picture they look amazing the packaging everything about them. I have two lose ones I had as a child, after seeing your picture I'm going to have to get some more.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,592

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sabreman said:
Scruffy, you have made my day posting that picture they look amazing the packaging everything about them. I have two lose ones I had as a child, after seeing your picture I'm going to have to get some more.

Quality! I had the Space Invader one in the last few years but sold it on. Car boot find and wasn't in the sort of condition I wanted. I'd love to know how many are in the set.

Yeah, the race car one is excellent. I defo had that as a kid and also the fruit machine one.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Fantastic, great to see those again, I had several of those pictures. I can almost hear the noise of the mechanism winding down!

Also anything with that Palitoy logo is always a treat.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sabreman said:
This came this morning, it's mint I'm very happy

That's very nice :) I had 3 or 4 saved in my watch list today but let them slide at about a fiver each. Was just too busy to give them much thought and they come up regularly enough. But, when they come up in that sort of condition you've just got to buy them. Lovely.

spoons

Grand Master
Seen a couple of the Palitoy adverts sell for $40 on Facebook. Seems crazy when the comics are a couple of quid.

Saw this this week, a slightly different take on the Fett ad. Very lo-tech

IMG_4675.JPG

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:
Seen a couple of the Palitoy adverts sell for $40 on Facebook. Seems crazy when the comics are a couple of quid.

IMG_4675.JPG

It could be a simple case of moire. Apologies for slightly geeky cartoon but I love it :) :

moire.JPG

spoons

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
spoons said:

IMG_4675.JPG

It could be a simple case of moire. Apologies for slightly geeky cartoon but I love it :) :

moire.JPG

I did wonder why the pixelation happened. My original pic is fine :)

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
spoons said:

IMG_4675.JPG

moire.JPG
I just had to Google 'moiré' to work out what you were on about!

I was aware of the phenomenon but didn't have a clue what it was called - you learn something everyday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom