Header image

Old Comic Star Wars Adverts

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Old Comic Star Wars Adverts

Postby spoons » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:20 am

Seen a couple of the Palitoy adverts sell for $40 on Facebook. Seems crazy when the comics are a couple of quid.

Saw this this week, a slightly different take on the Fett ad. Very lo-tech

IMG_4675.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

spoons wrote:Seen a couple of the Palitoy adverts sell for $40 on Facebook. Seems crazy when the comics are a couple of quid.

IMG_4675.JPG

It could be a simple case of moire. Apologies for slightly geeky cartoon but I love it :) :

moire.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
spoons wrote:Seen a couple of the Palitoy adverts sell for $40 on Facebook. Seems crazy when the comics are a couple of quid.

IMG_4675.JPG

It could be a simple case of moire. Apologies for slightly geeky cartoon but I love it :) :

moire.JPG

I did wonder why the pixelation happened. My original pic is fine :)

Lom
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Lom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:

IMG_4675.JPG

moire.JPG

I just had to Google 'moiré' to work out what you were on about!

I was aware of the phenomenon but didn't have a clue what it was called - you learn something everyday.
Sith happens.....

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:44 pm

hows this?

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 pm

spoons wrote:
hows this?

I can answer that myself - big! :shock: :lol:

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:43 pm

spoons wrote:
spoons wrote:
hows this?

I can answer that myself - big! :shock: :lol:

But welcome :-)

Thanks for posting this.

Mrleemur
Regular
Regular

Postby Mrleemur » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Hopefully i'll have something to add to this soon, picked up these bad boys from my local comic book store at the weekend.

There's plenty more, just have to hope they're still there after payday!!

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Thought I would post these here too as they are comic related adverts / competitions , picked up some old 2000ad's today at a boot sale see the ( boot sale, thread off topic). Always love the colours on the front covers of the early comics :)
Love the star warriors :lol:
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Wow! Sometimes you forget how cool vintage Star Wars was. Great thread.

Sabreman
Regular
Regular

Postby Sabreman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm

bosk70, stunning mate your very lucky to come across those
When I was ten I drooled over Star Wars Toys, I'm now 45 and doing the same thing

Sabreman
Regular
Regular

Postby Sabreman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I love flicking through vintage magazines especially old gaming ones like Crash or Zzap64, I have loads of old Crash,Battle,Victor etc, some of the advertising is fantastic. You really don't see it anymore some of the artwork is incredible.
The stuff I really like I either laminate or put it aside to eventually frame and display it.
Just look how incredible the Lord Of The Rings advert is for a game that came out in about 1984 by Melbourne House.
When I was ten I drooled over Star Wars Toys, I'm now 45 and doing the same thing

Simply Sci-fi
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Simply Sci-fi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm

bosk70 wrote:Thought I would post these here too as they are comic related adverts / competitions , picked up some old 2000ad's today at a boot sale see the ( boot sale, thread off topic). Always love the colours on the front covers of the early comics :)

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen the SW LP competition before. Any chance of photos of the earliest 2000AD you have there?

The Christmas issue of the comic couldn't have been a better recommendation for Star Wars "The best film of all time!"

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Simply Sci-fi wrote:
bosk70 wrote:Thought I would post these here too as they are comic related adverts / competitions , picked up some old 2000ad's today at a boot sale see the ( boot sale, thread off topic). Always love the colours on the front covers of the early comics :)

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen the SW LP competition before. Any chance of photos of the earliest 2000AD you have there?

The Christmas issue of the comic couldn't have been a better recommendation for Star Wars "The best film of all time!"

I managed to get prog 6 to 100, I lost these early issues as a kid at some time, I have some issues between 100 and 150 and then all from that date, just looking through them now and will post any other interesting ad's story / competitions etc just missed out on 1 to 5 at the boot sale someone grabbed them before I got there :lol: should be able to check 1977, 80 and 82 for anything interesting and post :)

Love the grifter and tom baker ad I had a blue grifter cool bike but the front fork bearings always fell out when you tried to ride it like a bmx :D soon uprated to a mongoose
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Sabreman wrote:I love flicking through vintage magazines especially old gaming ones like Crash or Zzap64, I have loads of old Crash,Battle,Victor etc, some of the advertising is fantastic. You really don't see it anymore some of the artwork is incredible.
The stuff I really like I either laminate or put it aside to eventually frame and display it.
Just look how incredible the Lord Of The Rings advert is for a game that came out in about 1984 by Melbourne House.

Totally agree, the advertising from that period is fantastic, and as you say the adverts for games in the like of "Crash" are worthy of being framed.
I had never thought about that before, these in frames would look great in the right room.
Oh I wish I had keep my copies of "Crash" great mag.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”