Header image

Exciting possibly new coo discovery

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Exciting possibly new coo discovery

Postby Mini99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Wow a great find.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 pm

olisuds wrote:Yes it is very rare and I imagine there are only a handful known to exist. Where did you come across it?

The example I used above is a first shot molded in non production colours just to illustrate its pre production nature but there are other "production-like" examples that would be better known as pre production samples. Tom Derby recently sold one with a non production colour rifle.

Holy shit! A pre production piece ! I bought it of Facebook just as it was a coo I hadn't seen before.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Tarkin's nosehair wrote:Great info update olisuds thanks :D

Yes fantastic info

olisuds
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby olisuds » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Cardbackkid wrote:
olisuds wrote:Yes it is very rare and I imagine there are only a handful known to exist. Where did you come across it?

The example I used above is a first shot molded in non production colours just to illustrate its pre production nature but there are other "production-like" examples that would be better known as pre production samples. Tom Derby recently sold one with a non production colour rifle.

Holy shit! A pre production piece ! I bought it of Facebook just as it was a coo I hadn't seen before.

Might be worth comparing the paint colours with some production figures to see if there are any notable differences - I can't recall if there are. The other 77 back characters with unproduced HK COO have some interesting differences. The HK wicket is molded in a non production darker brown plastic with darker brown hood and spear. The HK Leia poncho has a lighter brown hair and a pink poncho. The HK B-wing pilot was also painted differently.
WTB: Unused Palitoy Card Backs

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:49 pm

olisuds wrote:
Cardbackkid wrote:

Might be worth comparing the paint colours with some production figures to see if there are any notable differences - I can't recall if there are. The other 77 back characters with unproduced HK COO have some interesting differences. The HK wicket is molded in a non production darker brown plastic with darker brown hood and spear. The HK Leia poncho has a lighter brown hair and a pink poncho. The HK B-wing pilot was also painted differently.

I will compare it with another prune face and see if there are any differences and add pictures if there is :)

Thank you very much for the info

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Cardbackkid wrote:

Congratulations a really exciting find.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks mini99 I'm pretty chuffed with it ... maybe I'll start a prune face focus now

olisuds
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby olisuds » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm a bit confused. Didn't you just ask about what this figure was just last week?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21925&start=15

There's a HK COO pre production pruneface figure in the thread- which is actually the one I referenced above that was sold by Tom Derby a few years back.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:30 pm

olisuds wrote:I'm a bit confused. Didn't you just ask about what this figure was just last week?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21925&start=15

There's a HK COO pre production pruneface figure in the thread- which is actually the one I referenced above that was sold by Tom Derby a few years back.

Yes I did but it didn't really look like the one in the picture so I asked a couple of people who collects coos and no one mentioned anything about it possibly being a pre production so assumed it was just undocumented coo?

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:48 pm

I've taken some pictures next to a regular prune face there are some differences but they are subtle :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

olisuds
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby olisuds » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Cool, now you may need to compare against a few other figures because although there is just 1 COO there are actually 2 different mold families and a number of paint variations such as the Lili Ledy figure for example and the yellow and orange eye. You should try to ensure you are comparing like mold families. If you are you should be able to notice a short faint scar with the remnants of Hong Kong as apposed to a long very faint scar which could have been Made in Hong Kong. I think from what i can see they are the exact same mold.

There are some very useful guides on TIG in addition to the COO guide...

Mold family guide:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6958p180-the-mould-family-guide-discussion-thread#129718

Lili Ledy Guide:
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2135p15-the-lili-ledy-guide-discussion-thread-part-1

Also would be interesting to know if the prototype in Andy's classified's thread i linked above matched up with yours exactly.

Now there might not necessarily be unique paint differences but as you can see from the 2 mold families the Hong Kong COO was removed before going into production and so far several first shots and pre production samples have the unproduced Hong Kong COO.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Just compared them and I believe they are the same mould family

hellhippie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby hellhippie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 pm

nice thread awesome piece !!! congrats
id rather be fishing

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 pm

hellhippie wrote:nice thread awesome piece !!! congrats

Thanks hellhippie ! It's opened a whole new world of collecting I'm finding all this pre production stuff fascinating

Dublinjeff
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dublinjeff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:34 pm

What a great find....brilliant stuff 8)
Looking for Toltoys/Harbert Boxed Landspeeder....

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”