Luke x-wing and Luke Hoth - No sabers??

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
What's the story here then? Any idea why these figures didn't come with light sabers?

one of the best bits is when luke is captured by the wampa and he uses the force and then chops his arm off?

also lucas had a real thing for chopping arms off :lol:

Cymonguk

Padawan
Luke Hoth always seemed the big miss, as you see him wielding a lightsaber, it makes no sense for him not to have one. If I remember correctly there was some suggestion it was simply a design choice based around his hands, though that doesn't make much sense when you look at the other dual weapon ones. Plus weirder still was the fact that I don't remember luke being seen with a rifle?

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
Cymonguk said:
Luke Hoth always seemed the big miss, as you see him wielding a lightsaber, it makes no sense for him not to have one. If I remember correctly there was some suggestion it was simply a design choice based around his hands, though that doesn't make much sense when you look at the other dual weapon ones. Plus weirder still was the fact that I don't remember luke being seen with a rifle?

right ok. I didn't realise about the rifle! good point!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes Luke Hoth should have come with a saber, but that only serves to remind us that for Empire, when they did give Luke a saber, it was the wrong colour! I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation as to why Luke Bespin comes with a yellow lightsaber. The original Luke Farmboy coming with a yellow saber I can accept as being caused by a mix-up between Kenner and Lucasfilm as they rushed to get the first figures out, plus the colours of the characters' sabers perhaps weren't quite so ingrained in the public consciousness at that point. However, that excuse doesn't hold for Empire! By the time ESB came out, everyone knew Luke's lightsaber was blue, yet Kenner still managed to give him a yellow one! Why?

At least with Jedi, the first trailers show Luke wielding a blue saber, before George decided to recolour it green for the film itself to emphasise the fact that it was not the same saber Luke lost in Cloud City. It's perfectly possible the blue and green Kenner sabers the Luke Jedi figures came with could be as a result of that confusion (although I was under the impression the green saber was released first, but I could be wrong). But again, that excuse doesn't work for Empire. Luke Bespin's yellow saber bugged the hell out of me as a child; it was wrong then, and it's still wrong now, but I'd love to know the reasons behind its existence / release.

Cymonguk

Padawan
Snaketibe said:
Yes Luke Hoth should have come with a saber, but that only serves to remind us that for Empire, when they did give Luke a saber, it was the wrong colour! I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation as to why Luke Bespin comes with a yellow lightsaber. The original Luke Farmboy coming with a yellow saber I can accept as being caused by a mix-up between Kenner and Lucasfilm as they rushed to get the first figures out, plus the colours of the characters' sabers perhaps weren't quite so ingrained in the public consciousness at that point. However, that excuse doesn't hold for Empire! By the time ESB came out, everyone knew Luke's lightsaber was blue, yet Kenner still managed to give him a yellow one! Why?

At least with Jedi, the first trailers show Luke wielding a blue saber, before George decided to recolour it green for the film itself to emphasise the fact that it was not the same saber Luke lost in Cloud City. It's perfectly possible the blue and green Kenner sabers the Luke Jedi figures came with could be as a result of that confusion (although I was under the impression the green saber was released first, but I could be wrong). But again, that excuse doesn't work for Empire. Luke Bespin's yellow saber bugged the hell out of me as a child; it was wrong then, and it's still wrong now, but I'd love to know the reasons behind its existence / release.

My understanding with Farmboy was that it was down to poor quality shots that Lucasfilm provided, hence why vaders is orange/red. I do remember seeing somewhere an image of luke in the falcon holding a "white/yellow" saber, where the colouring is all over the place.

Jedi Luke I believe definitely was shown with a blue in the original trailers, but I don't know if blue came first in the production toys.

Bespin is the oddity, as there seems to be no reason for him to have a yellow saber. I always wondered if it was a carry over from the original luke. Maybe they felt keeping it yellow would mean that kids would have more clue that the figures were related? Especially if some kids hadnt seen the film (I got to see the film on a second showing, and I am pretty sure that I had the figure first, I dont remember ever feeling jarred initially at my bespin luke).

Cymonguk

Padawan
Also it was clear after the 12" figures they knew Luke's lightsaber was blue so it has to be a stylistic choice?

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well LXW no sabre no probs I get that one. Luke Hoth no sabre why the hell not :?: :x
How cool would it have been for Luke Hoth to have come with a sabre and his binoculars 8) 8)

Titan78

Padawan
Inside the X wing I understand but Luke Xwing is on Dagobah with a lightsaber and there was never a vintage Dagobah training luke. Hoth always bothered me. Also I dont remember luke jedi having a gun apart from Jabbas palace.

Cymonguk

Padawan
interestingly he brandishes a blaster in empire strikes back which i had forgotten about completely! During his meeting with Yoda and then we see it on Bespin (which i do remember)

Cymonguk

Padawan
This was irritating me because I was sure there was a scene with Luke on Endor. SO i just watched it (yes I have it on my phone), and when they land on Endor as they first climb up to scout the base you can see Luke is carrying some form of large rifle (similar to a bulky M16)

EDIT: Just rewatched it is actually his arm, but he is holding it in the weirdest position so it looks like a weapon, it is his gloved hand so is all black.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Maybe they guy who made the yellow saber was color blind :?

It could have been cool if luke x-wing and luke hoth was sold with sabers :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom