THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 38 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
episode 38 twit.jpg

THE VINTAGE REBELLION PODCAST : EPISODE 38 - An Aussie, The Ashes and a Freaky Chewbacca

The boys return for their 38th episodic show with friend and fellow collector Simon McOwan joining the team for guest hosting duties.

Forget the Return of the Jedi, this month sees the Return of the Quiz, with accusations of cheating flying around on all sides!

Aussie Lee Harris takes a nostalgic look back at his childhood, whilst also discussing his current collecting stance, as well as depressing everyone with a tale of burning toys!

Grant is joined by Jonathan McElwain for the first part discussion on highlights for the US food market for the original Star Wars movie.  Jonathan is an expert so expect to learn a lot about a subject rarely discussed.  Yum, Yum!

In this months NA, Jez and the lads (plus an extra 2 special guests) discuss a variety of purchases including variants, some in the wild 3 pack finds, a lovely story which shows that even Cloud City Clouds can have a silver lining, and the mighty Imperial Shuttle gets the once over.

Rich has the pleasure to interview Ross Barr, the face of CAS and brings us 3 stories from the vintage collecting community.

So much rammed into just over 5 hours we hope you enjoy the show!!!!!!!

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Brilliant podcast guys!

Enjoyed the 'Carbonite Blockbusters' quiz and the TolToys sections most this month.

See you all hopefully at FF.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Thanks again guys, great listen as usual 8)
Loved hearing the original 80s Block Busters intro again :lol:
Must say however v poor performance in the quiz from u guys :!: Fancy not knowing the first word in Ep 4 or the upgrade model to Luke's Land Speeder :? Or how bout IG-88 debuting on a 47 back :lol:

We will let u off :wink: :)

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I'm about an hour in, just had to say how much I enjoyed Carbonite Blockbusters, great fun and brilliant banter, had me laughing out loud in the car several times and getting some funny looks from other drivers!

Richard_H

Grand Master
Thanks lads.

It made me wonder when recording what the hell Stu and the other guy who was on mute was on about most of the time when they said they answered first. Now that I've listened back. I still haven't a clue why they were crying. They needed more than a sympathy x.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Terrific episode so far fellas. Still have about an hour or so left, but as usual you guys nail it each and every month. Great to have Stu back and Simon did a "bang up" job with co-hosting duties this month (my British slang gets better and better each month by listening to you guys too). I was bustin' a gut listening to the Carbonite Blockbusters bit. Rich's "Mmmm, bad motivator" buzz in was hilarious. I may have to change my incoming text message tone to that. :) Great interview with Lee. It is always interesting for me to hear how other countries experienced the Star Wars hype back in the day.

I have a couple thing I wanted to bring up about the Imperial Shuttle. It's a fantastic ship and definitely one of my favorites as a kid, even though it came out toward the end of the vintage line. I have a little story to share from the summer of 1985.

I grew up in a very small town on the Washington State coast and it was a little challenging finding the new actions figures. However, every summer my parents would take my sister and I to the "big city" of Portland, Oregon so we could go school clothes shopping. This was about a 3 hour drive. Well, needless to say, there just happened to be a Toys 'R' Us right next door to the mall we would shop at.

With a little begging and pleading (like promising to clean my room the next day), my Mom and Dad took me to the "store of all stores". On this particular occasion, I walked in and before my eyes was aisle upon aisle of Power of the Force action figures. My mom said I could pick two figures and then we had to go." Immediately I started thumbing through every single row searching for the figures I needed most. Mom and Dad would help me thumb through also as I explained what figure I really needed. "Luke Stormtrooper....YES!" I continued to search and then, "Han in Carbonite!" Bam!! Mom said that was enough and we had to get going.

As we started to walk away, I couldn't help but keep my eyes on all the figures and ships. I then spotted an Imperial Shuttle down one of the other clearance aisles. This was the "ship of all ships"! I walked over to it as my parents were trying to leave and my sister was whining because we had spent the last 15 minutes looking at figures. Mom said, "C'mon Jason, no more." At that point, my Dad stepped in. I think he sensed his own memories of childhood as I stared at that massive Imperial Shuttle. He walked up to me and said, "Son, if we get you this, you have to promise to clean out the cubbie hole." My eyes widened. The cubbie hole was sort of like the basement, except it was upstairs, and it was our household pigsty. This little room was one you had to crawl in on your hands and knees. It was filled with boxes, toys, and most of all junk. This seemed a heavy price to pay, but at that moment I would have done anything to get that ship. I then promised that I would and good 'ol Dad grabbed the box and off we went to the check out counter.

I still have it to this day, as well as the original box it came in. I have attached a photo of the ship and the price sticker. As you can see it was marked down to $14.92 USD! What a bargain eh? :) Great memory I remember vividly 32 year later.

As you guys mentioned on the podcast, the wings are a huge issue. That same summer I took some pictures of my figures while setting up scenes from ROTJ and you can see that the wing already had the issue where it would not stay up. A couple summers ago, I decided to open it up and try to fix it. The square shaped nubbin on the gear mechanism snapped off under pressure. This is the biggest design flaw for this ship as the wings are way to heavy. I would drop those wings all the time after liftoff as that was the coolest feature of the toy in my opinion. I ended up using superglue to fix it, but I dare not drop the wings as I'm sure it will snap off again. It at least allows the wings to stay upright for display purposes.

My childhood shuttle restored

9.jpg

Huge discount, which I'm sure contributed to my Dad overriding my Mom that day. :)

IMG_2355.jpg

Pic I took of my Shuttle the summer of 1985. I'd only had the ship for a week or two when this photo was taken and you can see the wing mechanism is already broken.

A.jpg

Photo of the gear nubbin that I glued back on to fix the issue, but I dare not drop the wings as I'm sure it won't hold.

IMG_2312.jpg

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
I also was effected by Photobucket's policy change on linking images to 3rd party sights. Very frustrating indeed.

I believe I found a workaround for those of us that have a Dropbox account. If you copy the Dropbox link, it generates something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnxa54j44jx4n1i/Display1.jpg?dl=0

Dropbox also changed their policy several months ago, but if you change the end of the link from dl=0 to raw=1 and place the IMG tags around it, it should allow you to link the picture. Not sure if this works for everyone, but worth a try until a better solution is found.

The images in my previous post about the Imperial Shuttle are actually linked to my Dropbox account. Hopefully they are showing up for everyone.

Jez

Sith Lord
Brilliant. Thanks guys.
BTW the photos work great Jason.
Let's play Carbonite Blockbusters

Attachments

• Round 2.png
    Round 2.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 699

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
A couple of hours in so far. Was that really Rolf Harris you introed Lee with? What next? An homage to Jim'll FIx it?

:p

Jason

tyco

Youngling
Awesome work as normal guys, loved the carbonite blockbusters. Great interviews Lee was really good.

spoons

Grand Master
mr_palitoy said:
A couple of hours in so far. Was that really Rolf Harris you introed Lee with? What next? An homage to Jim'll FIx it?

:p

Jason

My thoughts exactly - had Lee offended you?

I pity next month's guest, it will be Gary Glitter playing them in :shock: :lol:

I've an hr to go and it's a great show. Enjoyed Lee's interview and the personal tales in latest acquisitions.

Carbonate blockbusters was very good too

As to variant ship collectors. Justin Lee collects die cast variants

And as to replacement internal parts. I don't have an issue for ships where 99% have broken parts. The same principle as restringing an action man or 12" Vader or Chewie - if you don't do it you have a collection of lose parts

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Finished listening today. Great show as always, really good interviews, nice to hear the Aussie perspective (cringed a bit at Rolf though!), and Grant's interview with Jonathan was excellent (although some sound issues in the first half, Grant was a lot quieter than Jonathan). Thanks Jez for the mention of my Gamester magazine. Well done guys, looking forward to the next one.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Another great episode guys!

Always love the quizzes, but the Blockbusters concept is the best quiz yet. The Gold-run probably brought back the most memories and it was actually quite difficult to keep up with the speed of answers - well done chap! Maybe at the Christmas Farthest From we can expect Jez Holness to take to the stage to host a live show???

Loads of knowledge again of course, my favourite part being the food stuffs/premiums interview by Grant.. so much information, I'll have to listen to it all again!

Right... how long to the next one?!?!?!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Another cracking episode, amazing how quickly 5+ hours can fly by! Really enjoyed all the interviews and guests. I must stop being such a miserable bastard, I'm going to get a reputation :lol:

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Another cracking episode, amazing how quickly 5+ hours can fly by! Really enjoyed all the interviews and guests. I must stop being such a miserable bastard, I'm going to get a reputation :lol:

I thought your discussion on variants was quality. Don't change mate, makes for great reading (and I agree with you)

walkie

Sith Lord
Excellent listen once again. However regarding the klaatu focus collectors there is another. His real name escapes me but he's about on FB....

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1113306

As for a jabba goon with a unique weapon, isn't the rancor staff very similar to tusken gaffi staff?

Rancor%20Keeper%20Vibroblade%20compare.jpg

Gaffi%20stick%20002%20Chris%20thinner%20handle.jpg

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Just finished listening to the Carbonite Blockbusters. Got some very strange looks as I was laughing out loud next to the pool on holiday - genius stuff guys :lol: Can't believe how arsey Stu was getting :lol: Bad loser ;)

Richard_H

Grand Master
It's a toss up what irritates Stu more. Buying a drink or losing a quiz.

Good spot Stef! Yet more cheating that I ignored for the greater good. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom