Are These Capes Real Or Repro ?

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Might be putting these up for sale shortly and i've never been sure whether they are real or repro so want to be sure just so I know how to advertise them.

The Leia cape has a slight texture to it but does not do the zipping sound when you rub your nail against it, also has a slight glossy finish.

The Vader cape also has a texture to it but again does not make the zipping sound but I read that some real ones don't make the sound ?

The Lando cape i'm also not sure about.

Please see pics below, many thanks.

aijcuLG.png

WJrjKo2.png

9tsqiOe.png

fb3ZAQr.png

n3wxPwL.png

5Y9VbMC.png

AITYUhX.png

txo1SiK.png

XnlMDpl.png

w2QG218.png

81Z6c0V.png

qKX1aRx.png

feM1HZ4.png

EBIo0xA.png

TEr8cgf.png

uWJhcvd.png

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I'm not convinced by the Leia or Vader capes.
This is my original Vader figure from my childhood.

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_224843.jpg
    IMG_20170723_224843.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 944

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
My photos are not the best.
Original Leia cape in the foreground.
I did start a thread a while ago and realised the oy way to really see is by actually having an original to compare. Even then, photos still make it tough due to materials in repro.
The repro one was bought with the figure and disclosed as repro.

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_225553.jpg
    IMG_20170723_225553.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 937

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
From the pictures only I think that Leia and Lando are fake, but Vader might have a clipper cape, which has a different texture.
The Lando cape should be sewn at front of the neck.
Leias cape seems a bit too glossy.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Lando cape looks fake on the pictures.

Darth vader Cape looks like the euro clipper/pbp/palitoy cape

Leia cape, hard to see if it is original or fake. I think you have to compare it with a original no zip sound cape. Maybe you can meet with another collector that have a original no zip sound leia cape. There is a Taiwan leia with no zip sound original leia cape.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Interesting.
I stand corrected on the Vader cape. I didn't know there was a different texture cape and it certainly looks different to mine.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Section 8 said:
Rugose is the new word on the block. :wink:

Don't forget your recent post, love that one :D

"If he stinks and has sweaty pits, then he's a PBP.

No joke, smell him and check under his arms."

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
For what it's worth I thought that the Vader cape was the only one that I would not question.
The Leia one looks too smooth and glossy, and the Lando one too light, unless the pictures have been taken in the "wrong light"

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the replies, I had my doubts about all 3 but several forums have said the Vader cape looks legit as it could be a PBP maybe.

What's the best way to advertise something that you're not sure is genuine or repro ? Is it best to just say in the advert "Possibly repro" or something ? Thanks

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Honestly my best advice would be to get them to Farthest From and get some experts to look, feel and touch these.
I have never met a more friendy knowledgeable bunch and then you could advertise them with confidence and correctly, once they have had a look.
I think "poss repo" etc. could turn potential buyers off, and most likely achieve a lower price.

Cymonguk

Padawan
Whilst I love the idea of farthest from, it just happens to be in the worst location in the UK for most people, i live pretty much in the middle of the uk and its a 5-6 hour drive for me (with no traffic). I would suggest he gives some idea of location and see if anyone nearby can help.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Cymonguk said:
Whilst I love the idea of farthest from, it just happens to be in the worst location in the UK for most people, i live pretty much in the middle of the uk and its a 5-6 hour drive for me (with no traffic). I would suggest he gives some idea of location and see if anyone nearby can help.

Rich Hutchison drives from Newcastle-upon-Tyne every time (5-6 hours) and keeps coming back... it really is worth it :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
Cymonguk said:

Rich Hutchison drives from Newcastle-upon-Tyne every time (5-6 hours) and keeps coming back... it really is worth it :D
Could not agree more, great event, that's why I recommend it.
Give it a go, your never look back!

Cymonguk

Padawan
I know he does, plus I am sure he would love it as would I, but I doubt I can convince my gf that it would be a nice couple of days away!

Just thinking that there are plenty of great people, who if he can say what area he is in, someone will probably be willing to take a look for him.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
My wife gets a night away in a nice hotel, I get a day with vintage, win win. :wink:
And yes if there is someone close to him to have a look it would be a good idea for him to do that, good thinking. :idea:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom