Header image

Grade chasers!!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Grade chasers!!

Postby wrighty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am

WTF!! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby subzero » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am

Wow, there's a VCJ 80% up right now for like a third of that amount lol.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

User avatar
SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby SAVORY100 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am

WTF indeed.. that's truly mental!
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

User avatar
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby palitoyjunky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

:lol:
subzero wrote:Wow, there's a VCJ 80% up right now for like a third of that amount lol.


Yeh but there r plenty of 80 grades out there and even 85s compared to 90s hence the frantic bidding :!:
Don't get me wrong I still think the high bidders r mad :lol:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby Mini99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
What I think is an 80 you may consider that it's an 85. :?
Grading is subjective!

User avatar
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby peekaygee73 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Mini99 wrote:Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
What I think is an 80 you may consider that it's an 85. :?
Grading is subjective!

I have to agree. I've nothing against grading but I always :roll: when I see someone selling a graded item which "graded 80 but should be an 85".

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3890
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby lejackal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm

peekaygee73 wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
What I think is an 80 you may consider that it's an 85. :?
Grading is subjective!

I have to agree. I've nothing against grading but I always :roll: when I see someone selling a graded item which "graded 80 but should be an 85".

In my opinion the person I paid to give me their opinion on my toy was wrong, therefore I'm going to say this 80 is an 85 and expect you to pay as if it were :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby Mini99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 pm

lejackal wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
What I think is an 80 you may consider that it's an 85. :?
Grading is subjective!

I have to agree. I've nothing against grading but I always :roll: when I see someone selling a graded item which "graded 80 but should be an 85".

In my opinion the person I paid to give me their opinion on my toy was wrong, therefore I'm going to say this 80 is an 85 and expect you to pay as if it were :mrgreen:

How many times have you seen the above quotes, why bother?
Don't get me wrong I have had loose figures graded and own graded MOC's but understand that the number on the sticker is someone's opinion at that moment in time, not the last word.
Rant over... :lol:

PS: love the new Lando as a peeping Tom avatar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Harshly graded imo :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 am

I don't understand people paying a lot more for a 90 grade I find 85 very acceptable. Maybe they are hoping graded loose or MOC will end up going the same way as comics where grade is everything. The price difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4 in comics can sometimes be staggering.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I don't understand people paying a lot more for a 90 grade I find 85 very acceptable. Maybe they are hoping graded loose or MOC will end up going the same way as comics where grade is everything. The price difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4 in comics can sometimes be staggering.


Even on brand new modern comics the going trend is about getting that 9.8 grade, 9.6 would still be very acceptable but as soon as you start getting to like 9.0 the value can be like half of what a 9.8 goes for, 8.8 and nobody wants it and it sells for peanuts, and you look at the comic inside the case and it looks the bloody same as a 9.8 :lol: just as nice looking as any other comic

So really I think the numbered grade can actually make the comic look shit then because all people do is look straight at the number, it just diverts attention away from the comic inside it.

I don't know what peoples opinions on graded figures are as I don't know much about them, but i'm guessing a lower grade could detract from how beautiful the figure actually is which isn't what it deserves, and not someones shitty nit picking graded opinion spoiling the figure.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests