Header image

Grade chasers!!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Grade chasers!!

Postby wrighty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am

WTF!! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Grade chasers!!

Postby subzero » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am

Wow, there's a VCJ 80% up right now for like a third of that amount lol.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am

WTF indeed.. that's truly mental!
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

:lol:
subzero wrote:Wow, there's a VCJ 80% up right now for like a third of that amount lol.

Yeh but there r plenty of 80 grades out there and even 85s compared to 90s hence the frantic bidding :!:
Don't get me wrong I still think the high bidders r mad :lol:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
What I think is an 80 you may consider that it's an 85. :?
Grading is subjective!

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Mini99 wrote:Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
Grading is subjective!

I have to agree. I've nothing against grading but I always :roll: when I see someone selling a graded item which "graded 80 but should be an 85".

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm

peekaygee73 wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Surly unless the same company and the same person graded them all how can a grade be anything but a guide.
Grading is subjective!

I have to agree. I've nothing against grading but I always :roll: when I see someone selling a graded item which "graded 80 but should be an 85".

In my opinion the person I paid to give me their opinion on my toy was wrong, therefore I'm going to say this 80 is an 85 and expect you to pay as if it were :mrgreen:

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 pm

lejackal wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:
Grading is subjective!

In my opinion the person I paid to give me their opinion on my toy was wrong, therefore I'm going to say this 80 is an 85 and expect you to pay as if it were :mrgreen:

How many times have you seen the above quotes, why bother?
Don't get me wrong I have had loose figures graded and own graded MOC's but understand that the number on the sticker is someone's opinion at that moment in time, not the last word.
Rant over... :lol:

PS: love the new Lando as a peeping Tom avatar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Harshly graded imo :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 am

I don't understand people paying a lot more for a 90 grade I find 85 very acceptable. Maybe they are hoping graded loose or MOC will end up going the same way as comics where grade is everything. The price difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4 in comics can sometimes be staggering.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I don't understand people paying a lot more for a 90 grade I find 85 very acceptable. Maybe they are hoping graded loose or MOC will end up going the same way as comics where grade is everything. The price difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4 in comics can sometimes be staggering.

Even on brand new modern comics the going trend is about getting that 9.8 grade, 9.6 would still be very acceptable but as soon as you start getting to like 9.0 the value can be like half of what a 9.8 goes for, 8.8 and nobody wants it and it sells for peanuts, and you look at the comic inside the case and it looks the bloody same as a 9.8 :lol: just as nice looking as any other comic

So really I think the numbered grade can actually make the comic look shit then because all people do is look straight at the number, it just diverts attention away from the comic inside it.

I don't know what peoples opinions on graded figures are as I don't know much about them, but i'm guessing a lower grade could detract from how beautiful the figure actually is which isn't what it deserves, and not someones shitty nit picking graded opinion spoiling the figure.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”