Header image

Valuation Requests and PM Deals

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Valuation Requests and PM Deals

Postby spoons » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:27 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:I honestly think what we have ATM is fine. Yes, PM dealing and missing stuff happens, but sometimes it doesn't and you land what you need.

Ultimately it's down to the seller who they sell to.

I feel your pain Rich, I really do, it's happened to me before and sure it will again but that's just part of the game.

I'm with Mark on this. Seems a real shame that Rich missed out but I get the impression that mostly things run pretty well here. Any change in system will throw up situations where people miss out for other reasons.
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:45 pm

was a hit the same, actually wanted all three but saw the others had put hat in ring for all apart from wally so threw my hat in for him... as felt fairest option. im on FB and do honestly prefer here, would hate to see this go the other way.
best part is dave said what happened and a collector got cards hes not moving on... woukd have lived them but glad that tgey wont be quick sell fir profit! and SW cards look awesome cingrats dave they look great!

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:49 pm

I get all that but then on the flipside what's the point of the valuation thread and who will ever provide valuations?
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Richard_H wrote:I get all that but then on the flipside what's the point of the valuation thread and who will ever provide valuations?

Less people respond than they used to, probably because they are too busy pm'ing offers

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:55 am

lejackal wrote:
Richard_H wrote:I get all that but then on the flipside what's the point of the valuation thread and who will ever provide valuations?

Less people respond than they used to, probably because they are too busy pm'ing offers

True, if someone sees something they want minutes would be wasted valuing and posting the price, they're quickly PM'ing before others do.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:07 am

Great discussion so far, and glad Richard and Dave are both being amicable over it. I agree it needs discussing, but as others have said nobody has done anything wrong here as there are no valuation rules currently.

Don't worry, neither I or the mods can read your PMs. We could go down the road most Facebook groups have taken and make a rule saying nobody can express interest in valuation threads or make offers before the sales threads, but as above it's impossible to police. Also, another situation - how is it fair if Richard the R5 collector sees the valuation thread first and doesn't declare interest, but then somebody else sees the sales thread first? It basically comes down to luck. So maybe the current system is more fair.

I am happy to add a guideline that people should respect others interest in valuation threads, but I'm not too keen on making a hard and fast rule.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am

As for anonymous valuations, it's possible but I personally don't have time to do it. Facebook is easy because you can just message an admin the photos. On here you can't PM attachments, so they would have to be emailed or something. I also think it would discourage the 'wild' posts we sometimes get, which often are rubbish modern stuff but occasionally brilliant. But hey if somebody wants to volunteer to be the valuation guy, it is technically possible :)

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 am

To answer the sales thread it that's totally fair imo. Nobody has a right to any item. If that post was made in the sales thread then it's anyone's game. Just a concern that many have raised that little seems to get to the sales thread.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am

I'm dead against rules, but it's got to a point of frustration with the valuations thread that I think something needs doing. I saw a thread a few months back and the first four responses were "I can't/won't give you a valuation because I'm interested in xyz". Absolutely nothing wrong with that and no criticism intended at all, I've done it myself, but it doesn't help the valuations.

I would be happy to volunteer for posting up supplied photos and valuation requests. I happen to think it's one of the few things some FB groups have got right and in does exactly what it's intended to do. I could set up a generic e-mail address which could be posted as a sticky and filter the spam.

The only thing that then raises it's head is should it be a rule that valuations have to go through the process or a choice? I'm quite sure some folk don't mind being PM'd with offers. Just because it's not transparent doesn't mean it's not fair. I'm all for the seller retaining freedom of choice in who they sell to and a first expression of interest/claim should not mean a following sale automatically. There's problems with both choices:

1) Make it a rule and it needs policing and also flies in the face of one of the major strengths of the forum: No Rules. It also, as Edd says, may put off those stumbling across the forum to post up valuations. That said, they're usually the most vulnerable and open to low-ball offers by lurkers.

2) Make it a choice and anyone posting in there is automatically signalling they are open to PMs and that can end up in a private bidding war. The counter argument to that would be "so what?": If you post there you accept that and if you PM an offer be prepared to enter a bidding war and don't come crying if you lose.

If only to protect the whole point and impartiality/lack of conflict of interest in the valuations thread I would vote for a change. I think it's a valuable service to members and "drop ins" alike. We absolutely don't want to put anyone off using it.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am

I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this.

Fair play for volunteering to be the valuations photos person, but I suspect there is going to be a shit load of work involved in that and all you will get is grief. "Why aren't my pictures up, I emailed you 2 hours ago" when the email arrived at ten pm on a Sat night or the poster is from the States/Oz. etc etc. We are mainly a UK based forum but we have plenty of overseas members so this could well complicate things, and there are a lot of listings on there.

Our current system isn't perfect, I sympathise with Rich, but I'm not sure any of the suggested improvements don't also come with large drawbacks that would end up being exploited as well. I'm not trying to shoot down this thread, quite the opposite, I just don't know that there is an option that will solve the problem, not create others AND not involve massive amounts of work for someone. Happy to hear what people think though.

And just to confirm what Edd said, we can't read your PM's. Hell us mods don't even know who is PM'ing who. Your PM's are totally private.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I would be happy to volunteer for posting up supplied photos and valuation requests. I happen to think it's one of the few things some FB groups have got right and in does exactly what it's intended to do. I could set up a generic e-mail address which could be posted as a sticky and filter the spam.

I could also help out with this, no reason the mailbox can't be manned by more than one brave idiot

chewbaccadave
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby chewbaccadave » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:05 pm

lejackal wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I would be happy to volunteer for posting up supplied photos and valuation requests. I happen to think it's one of the few things some FB groups have got right and in does exactly what it's intended to do. I could set up a generic e-mail address which could be posted as a sticky and filter the spam.

I could also help out with this, no reason the mailbox can't be manned by more than one brave idiot

I hope this idea get's the go ahead as it should,hopefully,help clear up the valuation/P.M. situation,cheers Dave.

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I'll admit I'm the one who's ended up with the Power Droid. I put a message of interest on the original post and things went from there. Whilst it's probably no comfort to anyone who was interested that MOC definitely won't be getting flipped once I receive it.

I'll also admit double-standards here - I've seen many items which have interested me on the Valuations page only for them never to appear on the Sales page, (usually due to a 'PM sent' message) which is why I put the 'would be interested...' message on there.

Whilst I agree that something needs to be done I don't think there are any easy or foolproof solutions. Whilst the regulars are likely to abide by any rules put in place it's still possible for a new poster to accept offers via PM or PM anyone who's expressed any kind of interest on the post. I don't think an auction is the solution, as these cause problems on some FB groups due to arguments over finish time, when they posted their bid, etc... Anonymous valuation posts is a possibility, but will need some administration. I think realistically all you can do is encourage people asking for valuations not to invite or accept PM offers and to have the courtesy to post their items on the sales page.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 pm

chewbaccadave wrote:
lejackal wrote:

I hope this idea get's the go ahead as it should,hopefully,help clear up the valuation/P.M. situation,cheers Dave.

Fair play for volunteering. One other point I would make (and this is absolutely NOT meant as a slight on either of you, so please don't take it as that) is that we need to be sure all those who have access to the email address are trustworthy. As I said, i'm NOT implying either of you are anything other than stand up guys, I'm just pointing out we don't want a situation developing down the line were a newbie has tried to post with something valuable only for a disreputable sod to delete the email and deal directly with them, scoring themselves a great deal in the process. I'd like to think no one on here would do that, but stranger things have happened. Not sure how we would prevent that from happening though.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm

weasel wrote:
chewbaccadave wrote:
lejackal wrote:I could also help out with this, no reason the mailbox can't be manned by more than one brave idiot

Fair play for volunteering. One other point I would make (and this is absolutely NOT meant as a slight on either of you, so please don't take it as that) is that we need to be sure all those who have access to the email address are trustworthy. As I said, i'm NOT implying either of you are anything other than stand up guys, I'm just pointing out we don't want a situation developing down the line were a newbie has tried to post with something valuable only for a disreputable sod to delete the email and deal directly with them, scoring themselves a great deal in the process. I'd like to think no one on here would do that, but stranger things have happened. Not sure how we would prevent that from happening though.

What are you trying to say :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”