Header image

Valuation Requests and PM Deals

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Valuation Requests and PM Deals

Postby tobedesu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I would be all for a bidding system of sorts.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't think there's the market on these boards for that. It's hit and miss on fb. I've seen sellers get great prices, I've also seen them take a hit
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Bidding would make it fair for the winner, but the other downside would be goodbye to bargains and good prices.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Start the bidding at around valuation price or asking price.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 pm

I think sw tracker showed the R5 as £115 or £120. I would have paid £140 and been happy. Push to £150 and I'd have been thinking.... probably not. Using tracker as a baseline is not a bad shout

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:51 pm

chewbaccadave wrote:
If it would help i would be willing to trade the R5-D4 to you if you have something on a Star Wars card in similar condition/price i am more than happy to try and sort this out,sorry Dave.

Deal

IMG_3909.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Just from reading the Facebook thread I'd be afraid that things would start then getting crazy regarding pricing on here also if we start bidding on items against each other.
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

I am thinking that if a bidding system is introduced then we will have open competion for items that will lead to even more bad feeling than what this "deal" has caused.
It will also feel like eBay or FB, and I come here to get away from that, so am, in principle against this.
As has alreay been mentioned I don't see the amount of sales to warrant this.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 pm

I agree there's no easy solution to this, but on the whole I would be against replicating an eBay type system as it pits forum members against one another in open competition. Unlike eBay however, everyone would know who has bid on what and for how much, and I'm sure there are plenty of members here who would prefer not to broadcast their purchases publicly. It could easily lead to arguments and bad feelings between members, which I hope none of us wants.

I certainly think the current sales forum should remain for sellers who are happy that they know what price to ask for an item, and to (usually - unless there's a good reason not to) sell it to the first member that offers that price.

However, one possibility does come to mind if some sort of bidding system were to be introduced alongside the straight sales forum. That would be a compromise between the defacto current system of first to PM wins (usually), and a fully open bidding system. Such a compromise could perhaps be that if the seller chooses to do so, they could invite PM offers for a certain time (e.g. 3 days), after which they choose who to sell to. That way more than just the first forum member to see a post would have a chance of submitting an offer, the bids would not be public, and the seller could choose which offer to accept.

I have to say, I'm not completely sure if I like or dislike the above proposal myself, as I can see both advantages and disadvantages to it, depending on your point of view. I mention it only because it occurred to me as possibly being a compromise solution, if the majority (and of course Edd) decide that's what they want.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 pm

How about this, once a member has posted a new thread in the 'valuation request' category, the site detects that member has created a thread in that category and automatically blocks incoming PM's in that sellers account for 24hrs, but the seller CAN send messages to others and once the first message has been sent then the block is lifted. So the only way for the seller to make a PM deal is to respond to the first person who posts "PM me" in the 'for sale' thread only, and banning people leaving 'messages of interest' in the valuation request threads.

I don't even know if this is technically possible to implement?? Just brainstorming :?
Last edited by subzero on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Or all posts in the Valuation thread are 'held'. An admin reposts them so that the original person can't be pmd.
The original owner can see the valuations

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Richard_H wrote:Or all posts in the Valuation thread are 'held'. An admin reposts them so that the original person can't be pmd.

That method (I think) is used on the timeline FB groups and seems to work well...

Funny thing is, I'm after a SW R5 MoC, but saw your expressed interest and walked away, expecting you to get it. Glad I didn't waste time waiting.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Richard_H wrote:Or all posts in the Valuation thread are 'held'. An admin reposts them so that the original person can't be pmd.

That would be much simpler and easier to introduce, not automated but it would be very effective.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 pm

If things are going to change this could work.
More work for admin though.

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:18 pm

I honestly think what we have ATM is fine. Yes, PM dealing and missing stuff happens, but sometimes it doesn't and you land what you need.

Ultimately it's down to the seller who they sell to.

I feel your pain Rich, I really do, it's happened to me before and sure it will again but that's just part of the game.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”