Header image

My book The Star Wars Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order - update with photos.

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: My book Star Wars: The Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order.

Postby Jez » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Mate this is great news. Let's get you on the podcast to talk about this yourself. You're in luck timing wise as we are recording next week.
Let's talk.
Congrats.

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Great stuff Craig 8) Looking forward to getting my copy :D
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Ooo, can't wait to get one of these.

:-)

Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

mumbo
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mumbo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Pre ordered and email sent.

Looking forward to a good read.
If its Luke Jedi then I'm interested, vintage or modern.

My feedback - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13324

My Focus collection - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Congrats - i'm looking forward to a read of this one, sounds right up my street!

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Well done Craig. You must feel a great sense of achievement
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Will be buying a copy for sure.

Simply Sci-fi
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Simply Sci-fi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:28 am

Grant_C wrote:Been fortunate enough to read an early draft of this a few years ago.

This is definitive. An enormous amount of research and detail. As Star Wars collectors, I can guarantee that you will read about things you have never heard of or seen.

I cant wait to see how its evolved. This is essential to any Star Wars fan, and a must have for any Star Wars collector.

Well done Craig, and a massive thank you for a gift that is paramount to logging the early culture of Star Wars. Information that could have been lost forever if it wasn't like pro-active people like yourself.

Thanks Grant. You've been one of the book's great supporters from early on in the process.

I truly appreciate everyone who has posted here to support the book.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:42 am

Believe me i'm not a book person ( I hate books :evil: :lol: ) but I might have to get this, from what everyone is saying it sounds like an amazing book filled full of facts and seems like something i'd be very interested in.

I'll probably place a pre-order this weekend. :)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Paddy the Jedi
New User
New User

Postby Paddy the Jedi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:23 am

Hello Craig. Like myself lots of Vintage Collectors have been eagerly awaiting the publication of your book- a true Labour of Love!! I have some experience with trying to promote a newly published book( mind you it was on a very different topic than Vintage Star Wars toys!!) One of the ways I tried was to take a copy into the bigger bookstores and ask to speak directly to the branch manager. I also rang bookstores directly to achieve an order - with some degree of success! I have emailed Forbidden planet and will speak to the branch manager in Belfast directly as he might have some influence on a National level ( he is well respected within the company). Can't wait to receive the book and I wish you ever success with it!!! Regards Gary.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Re: My book The Star Wars Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order.

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am

Book sales and signing at the next Farthest From? :)

Simply Sci-fi
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: My book The Star Wars Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order - update with photos.

Postby Simply Sci-fi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks for all of the continuing support and advice. It really means a lot.

I'll have to see about a signing at Farthest From. It depends if I get an invite and if I manage to get my hands on any copies of the book. I have a massive photo archive to show and talk through if nothing else.

You might have noticed that I updated my original post in this thread, with extra description of the book and photos. As I said there, I'm looking to keep people guessing as to who is dressed as C-3PO (here in Britain) and where Vader is making his appearance.

The price of the book was set by the publisher and if I had my way it would turn out a bit cheaper. We'll see what happens!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: My book The Star Wars Phenomenon in Britain is available as a pre-order - update with photos.

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I'll be buying your book either way but would much rather pick one up in person from you. Not only would it be great to meet you and have a quick chat but I'm all for cutting out the middle man if I can!

Dave Tree used to organise a few talks throughout the day at older farthest froms, it's a bit too busy to do that now but he might be able to resurrect that format for the right guest. Im sure if you did a talk it would be well attended.

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 am

Craig good luck with your book sales.
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~
,,~Good head is the key to relivement~Unsure.

Simply Sci-fi
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Simply Sci-fi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Paddy the Jedi wrote:Hello Craig. Like myself lots of Vintage Collectors have been eagerly awaiting the publication of your book- a true Labour of Love!! I have some experience with trying to promote a newly published book( mind you it was on a very different topic than Vintage Star Wars toys!!) One of the ways I tried was to take a copy into the bigger bookstores and ask to speak directly to the branch manager. I also rang bookstores directly to achieve an order - with some degree of success! I have emailed Forbidden planet and will speak to the branch manager in Belfast directly as he might have some influence on a National level ( he is well respected within the company). Can't wait to receive the book and I wish you ever success with it!!! Regards Gary.

Thanks Gary for the advice and the offer of help with promoting the book (and everyone else too!). I'm doing everything that I can to bring the book to retailer's attention. Some book sellers demand to see a physical copy so I'll be conducting a second round of promotions when the book is released. I'm also still seeking heavyweight reviewers.

I feel that writing the book was only half the battle!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”