Header image

Jawa Vinyl Capes?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Jawa Vinyl Capes?

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am

ZuckussOZ wrote:Yeah it just isn't fantastic when you are sitting here with your 10 year old son, you know.

One of the many, many pitfalls of using the internet, I'm afraid. However, for any embarrassment or awkwardness caused to you or your son, for my part (and as far as I am able), on behalf of this Forum, I apologise.

This Forum is not specifically targeted at adults, but the overwhelming majority of its members are adults; people like you and me who had the toys as kids (or wished they had), but who have now grown up (mostly ;-)) and find the nostalgic pull back into collecting Vintage brings them here. We're very much a friendly and helpful bunch, happy to assist new and experienced collectors with queries (both Star Wars and non-Star Wars related), share our own Star Wars experiences and collections, and generally try to do so in a light-hearted way. You experienced much of that with your post which was (I do not doubt, completely unbeknownst to you) an amusingly newbie question akin to asking if anyone's ever dug up buried treasure in their own back garden; yes it's technically possible, but no, it won't happen to you. However, rather than ignoring the question or ridiculing you in a mean-spirited way, you did receive completely accurate and prompt replies, along with some gentle, albeit adult humour.

As with any open forum on the internet, people are free to post whatever they wish here (within reason), and not all of it will be child-friendly. I often wince myself when I read some of the comments on sites like 'You Tube', many of which can be racist, sexist, homophobic or offensive and idiotic in any number of different ways. This Forum is a very far cry from that, with very few if any truly offensive posts. However, since we are adults here, we will occasionally act like them. It seems from your reply that you are a responsible parent trying to shield your young son from content you deem to be inappropriate, and I applaud you for that. However, I hope this experience doesn't deter you from visiting and using this Forum, as it really is a tremendous resource full of extremely knowledgeable, friendly and decent people. I could point to many excellent examples of Forum members going out of their way to help others, including giving gifts of loose figures to help a member's young daughter build and grow her own collection of Vintage figures. I hope that might be a better example you could share with your son of what can happen here? And as far as avoiding any future potentially embarrassing posts being seen by your son, I'm afraid I can only recommend screening them yourself first, which I imagine you may already do with other webpages.

Welcome to the Forum.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Pretty much like Snaketibe has said, unfortunately this is the internet and things do need screening when with kids of that age, this is a forum full of ( i'm assuming ) all adults and not kids, which is why everybody talks the way they do in here including swear words even my own mother wouldn't want to read or hear. Also don't forget over the internet people can't see who you're sitting there at the computer with... and it also works the other way round if someone says a comment that's actually intended to be a lighthearted joke, then it can occasionally be taken the wrong way because it's hard to see that someone is lightheartedly joking judging from just words on a screen. Most people who post comments can sometimes forget that, and that not everybody gets the 'joke' or sarcasm in their posts, but trust me it's just a bit of friendly banter and not aimed at you in any negative way.

Trust me everyone is friendly on this forum, iv'e only been here about 3 months now and it's a very friendly place full of helpful people. :)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 am

ZuckussOZ wrote:Yeah it just isn't fantastic when you are sitting here with your 10 year old son, you know.

Lighten up :roll:

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

SublevelStudios wrote:Lighten up :roll:

Oooo.....controversial.
I tend to agree with the statement though :wink:
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am

Twin30mm wrote:

Oooo.....controversial.

Then the internet is not for you snowflake.

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 am

SublevelStudios wrote:
Twin30mm wrote:

Oooo.....controversial.

Then the internet is not for you snowflake.

I was being sarcastic. I was agreeing with your statement.

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 am

S**t - sorry mate :oops: :oops: :oops:

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am

Snaketibe wrote:
ZuckussOZ wrote:..... However, since we are adults here, we will occasionally act like them.....

That's the most controversial claim in this whole thread.

Great post overall, Snakebite. Nicely summarised this forum.

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 am

SublevelStudios wrote:S**t - sorry mate :oops: :oops: :oops:

Snowflake! How f**king dare you!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:05 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
ZuckussOZ wrote:..... However, since we are adults here, we will occasionally act like them.....

Thank you. And to demonstrate how adult I am, I'd like to point out that my handle is Snaketibe, not Snakebite, you blind Mr Ploppy-Pants!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:

Thank you. And to demonstrate how adult I am, I'd like to point out that my handle is Snaketibe, not Snakebite, you blind Mr Ploppy-Pants!

No, you're Snakebite. Because Snaketibe isn't a real word. Event Google assured me that you've got it wrong and not me. So ner-ner-nee-ner-ner! :p

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:

No, you're Snakebite. Because Snaketibe isn't a real word. Event Google assured me that you've got it wrong and not me. So ner-ner-nee-ner-ner! :p

Your logic is irrefutable sir! Clearly I must be wrong, so I apologise immediately. Now perhaps you can tell me more about this marvelous Google Event you spoke so highly of? ;-)

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 pm

I think you guys have scared ZuckussOz away! 8)

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:52 am

You can't post anything these days without someone taking offense :roll:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”