Header image

Any new stories to do with dealing with the other half?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Any new stories to do with dealing with the other half?

Postby stormcab » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 pm

I just bought my first MOC after a little dry spell, and my first thought is "crap, the missus is gonna be on my case asking how much THAT was?" :D

This topic has been discussed before, but would be good to hear any updated stories that have happened with new buys. My recent trick is to watch out for identical items I own selling online, then I show them to the missus and say "check that out, I paid blah blah for that, and one just sold for blah this much more blah". I always get a "wow" so that's me given a bit more on the leash :lol:

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Any new stories to do with dealing with the other half?

Postby subzero » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Just say it cost half of what you actually paid, always, say it cost half of what you paid! :twisted:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:56 pm

TBH I think my missus has given in to the inevitable. She knows all the tutting and raised eyebrows isn't going to change a thing.

If there's a bit of resistance, I just show her a recent Vinyl Cape Jawa auction on Ebay. "I've got one of those upstairs" I exclaim. You can literally see the £ signs light up in her eyes.

Shallow bint :D
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Just don't spend money which is earmarked for joint stuff and never, ever, ever say 'we can't afford to do that' if you spent the money on SW. After that, fuck it... you can always break the emergency glass and release the last resort 'I could be out spending the money on blow and hookers' phrase.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Orrr, just mention the VCJ value whenever she says something negative, and convince her that can happen with possibly any figure you buy, she'll probably start buying them for you :D

Her - "You can't buy that because you spent lots already"
You - "Yeah but vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "Don'y buy that it's too expensive"
You - "Yeah but vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "What on earth did you spend that much money for?"
You - "Listen woman!!, vinyl cape Jawa"

Her - "Wow look at that MOC figure it's expensive but i'll buy it for you"
You - "Why thank you darling I love you lots :twisted: "

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 pm

yeah... I want this handbag - sell your vinyl caped jawa. We need a new kitchen - sell you vinyl caped jawa ;)
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm

maxf wrote:Just don't spend money which is earmarked for joint stuff and never, ever, ever say 'we can't afford to do that' if you spent the money on SW. After that, fuck it... you can always break the emergency glass and release the last resort 'I could be out spending the money on blow and hookers' phrase.

Blow and hookers is a cheaper hobby :lol:

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:42 pm

subzero wrote:Just say it cost half of what you actually paid, always, say it cost half of what you paid! :twisted:

Problem is, anything over £20 raises an eyebrow. If I got the find of the century, an AFA 90 VCJ for £500, she'd say "HOW BLOODY MUCH!" :D

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:50 pm

I always keep my wife involved, if she's involved then the problem is halved. :?
I even take her along to FF, she enjoys a look around, and more oftern not spots something that I had not seen!
She's knows what most MOCs go fir these days, so I can't pull the wool over her eyes, and as maxf said, don't ever say "we can't afford that" if your spending money on Star Wars stuff. :wink:

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Mini99 wrote:I always keep my wife involved, if she's involved then the problem is halved. :?
I even take her along to FF, she enjoys a look around, and more oftern not spots something that I had not seen!
She's knows what most MOCs go fir these days, so I can't pull the wool over her eyes, and as maxf said, don't ever say "we can't afford that" if your spending money on Star Wars stuff. :wink:

I don't lie to her, that's why I find it hard. I end up making note of all the little things she buys over a couple of months - bag £40, top £30, bits for her garden project £50, trip to Hobbycraft £25..... I think that equals a cheeky little mock for me 8)

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 pm

stormcab wrote:
Mini99 wrote:I always keep my wife involved, if she's involved then the problem is halved. :?

I don't lie to her, that's why I find it hard. I end up making note of all the little things she buys over a couple of months - bag £40, top £30, bits for her garden project £50, trip to Hobbycraft £25..... I think that equals a cheeky little mock for me 8)

Women like smocks we like mocs, what can ya do?! :wink:

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:28 pm

stormcab wrote:

At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you both, this sound like a great compromise.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

I thought everything either cost 'about £20, if I remember rightly', or else could be handled by employing the ever-reliable, 'What that old thing? That's not new, I've had it ages.' And of course, if neither of those work, there's always, 'Have you lost weight?' ;-)

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

I rem keeping back what I paid out for stuff 20 years ago from my girlfriend at the time which when I think back was ridiculous as we were not even living together and my money was mine just as hers was hers :!:
My partner today know exactly what I spend and she has never had a prob as our life together has never been sacrificed in any way for SW :!:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm on the sick from work atm and confined to bed after an operation, it has been 2 weeks now and all I have done is watch daytime tv and shop, I have spent a small fortune in the last 2 weeks so now she has threatened to turn the router off downstairs knowing I cant get to it if I keep buying, so I just bought something off cassa before she knocks it off :)
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”