Header image

Craig Stevens Packing

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Craig Stevens Packing

Postby subzero » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 pm

If you were on an 'O J Simpson style trial' then yes i'd worry about the book, but over a single damaged box I wouldn't worry.

Luckily most people are smart enough to know not to connect something as irrelevant as a bad toy shipment to a book release, I myself know about the damaged item and do believe judging from the photo that the box should have definitely been stronger, but I couldn't give a monkey's about it and i'm still ordering your book.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Just had a response from Forbidden Plant, that your book should be available in the Autum/winter of this year.
I hope that this helps your sales.
Best of luck.

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm

subzero wrote:If you were on an 'O J Simpson style trial' then yes i'd worry about the book, but over a single damaged box I wouldn't worry.

Containing a £1000 item.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am

Although I absolutely agree that a better box should have been used (or for such an expensive item even a plastic box) it looks to me like somebody has kicked a hole in the box. If somebody really wants to destroy something, there's not much you can do to stop them. I've had poorly packaged items arrive perfectly (I once had a MOC arrive from the USA in a jiffy bag without a single crease or bubble dent) and also "bomb-proof" packed items arrive damaged, there is a certain amount of luck involved.

I agree Craig probably should have been more forthcoming with a refund or other solution, but we only got one side of the story on that to start with and it sounds like a solution has been found. Hopefully learnings on both sides.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:23 am

SublevelStudios wrote:To be honest Craig, looking at the pictures of the packaging, it simply was NOWHERE near adequate for a £1000 item. I've sent loose figures in better boxes, I'm surprised you thought it was adequate having been around for as long as you say you have and knowing the state collectors demand an item be received in, espeically high value. I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot you would be equally angry having forked out a huge sum. And is it true you actually stated he had not asked or paid for more sturdy packaging before you sent it?

Secondly, the concept of getting people back onside by helping you write another book for chairty is a bizarre notion. I presume the intention was a good one but you've completely misread the situation - this would never get the community to support you and in fact you've shot yourself in the foot.

I'm pleased you have resolved the issue with Mike but I would take a long hard look at the handling of this and learn from it. It's really done you no favours I'm afraid which is a massive shame as the book looked like an interesting read and deserved the full support on the community.

Sums it up for me.

Hopefully it has been put to bed and lessons have been learnt.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:46 pm

What is the best way to pack a boxed item, I may be selling a boxed Rebo Band soon and want to make sure it's packed well , thanks

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Double boxing is usually the way forward for a valuable boxed item or if its a lower value piece a simple sturdy box with a decent amount of room around your item filled with a crushable (impact absorbing) material filling the void. Packing peanuts, bubble and newspaper all work depending on the value, size of box and item etc. The key in all of this is to have a void that will take a hit; if your item is just inside the outer box and a moron courier kicks or drops your outer box, it needs space to crush without damaging the inner box or item.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

1. Pack item with padding and protection in box one.
2. Pack box one in larger box two with padding and box loose so box one can move around some bit.
3. Send tracked and insured.

If your parcel is packed too tightly and it gets shaken, you may as well be shaking the moc or boxed item in your hand. If it is packed loose the outer box will move around the inner box making shaking and vibration less likely to damage the item. Also it will be less likely to get crushed by any pointed impacts.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 pm

It's all about increasing the dampening of the item in question. Reducing its susceptibity to sudden shock impact.

For the price you can pick them up, plastic boxes are great for crush resistance, but double boxing definitely gives the item much more than twice the protection to impact damage. Worth doing.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 am

Iv'e always found scrunched up pages of newspaper has done me the best over the years, when all the voids in the box are completely filled up with it it has the most impact absorption because the paper squashes in a lot, much more compared to bubble wrap, but obviously bubble wrap is very good too also.

If you've ever watched those documentaries on TV with reporters going into delivery/sorting depo's with secret cameras then you'll know how they handle packages, they're literally chucking them into metal containers and then deep into the backs of trucks like footballs to save time and effort. These workers are always on tight deadlines and try to rush through their parcels.

Just because you have a 'fragile' sticker on the package don't assume they will take notice of it, they don't always take time to check it over and read it and will still throw it around. So always assume your package is going to be thrown into a van and then have other packages thrown on top of your one too, then imagine how much protection that might need.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”