Header image

The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm

A (very) recent purchase caused me to look into a toy shop called Dominos in Leicester. It sounds like it was an absolutely amazing toyshop in it's day. Any forum members (looking at you, Laurence Dyer!) remember it or been there? Trying to get in touch with Steve Sansom who took it over from his father, Leonard, in the later 90s.

It went from being named the best independent toy retailer in Britain in 2011 to full closure in 2013. It opened up again in Fenwicks in Leicester in Feb 2015 but within 3 months closed it's doors again. Another victim of the high street collapse it seems.

A brief new report on it:

http://www.itv.com/news/central/story/2 ... noes-toys/

The price label that prompted the interest. It must have been sold within the first year of trading as they didn't open their doors until 1983:

dominoes.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3908
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby lejackal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:A (very) recent purchase caused me to look into a toy shop called Dominos in Leicester. It sounds like it was an absolutely amazing toyshop in it's day. Any forum members (looking at you, Laurence Dyer!) remember it or been there? Trying to get in touch with Steve Sansom who took it over from his father, Leonard, in the later 90s.

It went from being named the best independent toy retailer in Britain in 2011 to full closure in 2013. It opened up again in Fenwicks in Leicester in Feb 2015 but within 3 months closed it's doors again. Another victim of the high street collapse it seems.

A brief new report on it:

http://www.itv.com/news/central/story/2 ... noes-toys/

The price label that prompted the interest. It must have been sold within the first year of trading as they didn't open their doors until 1983:

dominoes.JPG

Yep, I'm from Leicester originally and use to visit every weekend, from memory there was a change in levels between the front and the back of the original shop and next to this step there was a single rack of Star Wars figures, couldn't tell you what was on it unfortunately but this would've been 87-93 ish
Last edited by lejackal on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3908
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby lejackal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 pm


ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 pm

lejackal wrote:http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27385


It only occurred to me to search the forum after posting this up :roll:

Did you make it to the brief period they reopened at Fenwicks?

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3908
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby lejackal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:45 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
lejackal wrote:http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27385


It only occurred to me to search the forum after posting this up :roll:


Ha ha, no one searches for things, you should know that.
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:Did you make it to the brief period they reopened at Fenwicks?


Sadly not, it was done and dusted by the time I decided to go back.

User avatar
laurencedyer
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby laurencedyer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Dominoes was the toy shop in Leicester in the eighties.
I actually don't remember what figures I had or bought from my childhood but what I do recollect is they came from Dominoes.
Every week my mum would take me and my brother there with our pocket money and we would get a new figure.
The shop was a marvel only bettered by Mr Magorium's magic emporium!!!
It's main entrance was on the High Street and it had three floors to the main shop, what was on each floor during my childhood I couldn't tell you, maybe my mum and dad could tell me if you really needed to know.
As you walked in the door there was a level / room to the left that dropped down a step full of display cabinets, I assume for die cast and Warhammer type toys.
The first floor had a train track suspended from the ceiling running around the main shop and across the back of the till area, that was one of its attractions.
If you walked through to the end of the first floor there was another room in the back of that , Through that room there was yet another room / shop to the left that had an entrance out to Carts lane.
The Carts Lane side of the store had the main floor and there was steps that you could go down to a cellar room that was full of arts and crafts.

I actually tried to contact Steve Sansom a few years ago just after the closure of the store at Fenwicks but to no avail, Good luck and I hope you can get in touch with him Simon.

What I do have from Dominoes which for me personally I consider quite a cool part of history is a couple of there old display cabinets.

There is a single size cabinet in my front room and a double sixed cabinet in the Star Wars room.

Most of these item's are no longer with me any more :cry:

Single cabinet image then half of the double sized cabinet image.
20170805_200710.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My grandfather Designed Palitoy's Finished Goods warehouse - read my research here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27216

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 am

laurencedyer wrote:Dominoes was the toy shop in Leicester in the eighties.
I actually don't remember what figures I had or bought from my childhood but what I do recollect is they came from Dominoes.
Every week my mum would take me and my brother there with our pocket money and we would get a new figure.
The shop was a marvel only bettered by Mr Magorium's magic emporium!!!
It's main entrance was on the High Street and it had three floors to the main shop, what was on each floor during my childhood I couldn't tell you, maybe my mum and dad could tell me if you really needed to know.
As you walked in the door there was a level / room to the left that dropped down a step full of display cabinets, I assume for die cast and Warhammer type toys.
The first floor had a train track suspended from the ceiling running around the main shop and across the back of the till area, that was one of its attractions.
If you walked through to the end of the first floor there was another room in the back of that , Through that room there was yet another room / shop to the left that had an entrance out to Carts lane.
The Carts Lane side of the store had the main floor and there was steps that you could go down to a cellar room that was full of arts and crafts.

I actually tried to contact Steve Sansom a few years ago just after the closure of the store at Fenwicks but to no avail, Good luck and I hope you can get in touch with him Simon.

What I do have from Dominoes which for me personally I consider quite a cool part of history is a couple of there old display cabinets.

There is a single size cabinet in my front room and a double sixed cabinet in the Star Wars room.

Most of these item's are no longer with me any more :cry:

Single cabinet image then half of the double sized cabinet image.
20170805_200710.jpg


Great info, Laurence, thanks very much. He's an elusive guy to get hold of. He seems to be enjoying retirement having been director of about 10 different businesses. It sounds like Dominoes closure is a real loss. A toy shop on a Hamleys scale and spectacle. I'd say I hope the local authorities and Govt. sort out the high street decline before it's too late but when shops like this go, isn't it already too late?

Those are some great cabinets there. Nice you've managed to retain at least a little Dominoes history.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: The rise and fall, and rise and fall of Dominoes, Leicester

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 pm

I remember a dominoes toy shop in my local town (Sale, south of Manchester). Do you know if the Leicester shop was a complete independent or part of a small chain?


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests