Header image

Acrylic vintage blaster display

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Acrylic vintage blaster display

Postby subzero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 am

Just sharing my little creation, I was always obsessed and fascinated with the blasters when I was a kid, and I still love them just as much today so decided to recently start off a blaster collection. This is a cut to order piece of acrylic with polished edges, and iv'e printed out little sticky labels to identify each blaster and stuck on some clear rubber feet on the bottom. This would also look great for somebody who wants to collect all the different versions, you could have one with labels for V1, V2, V3, V4 etc for each blaster, maybe even for different colours too if you wanna get a little 'OCD' with it 8) then saber displays, rifle displays etc.

I only have 2 blasters for this display so far because the rest of them are from my figures, so will be looking forward to getting the display completed. :)

If the guys at GW Acrylic would like to copy this idea for a new product i'd love to get a free one sent out 8) with the identifications actually printed on the plastic instead of just having paper labels...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Acrylic vintage blaster display

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Cool display dude - but admit it, this is just a fishing post for someone to take pity and post you an Endor Blaster? :D

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Nice way to show off these weapons, good idea.
Did you see the one that CAS did for all the weapons?

https://collectorarchive.com/cus001

I think this is a great display piece.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:05 pm

This is a really cool idea. I have a lot of spare accessories and have been thinking of doing a weapon/accessory display like this. I want to do a vertical one though like a picture frame or something and think of a way to hold the weapons. I wonder if this could be stood up with a support behind to make it stand? And then something stuck on the surface to hold weapons. I like it anyway though, looks good.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm

@Bonsai_Tree_Ent - Haha yes I did get a little upset when I set all the blasters on and looked at the empty Endor blaster space.

@Mini99 - They look cool, I love the helmet display too.

@Robstyley - I was actually wondering of a way to be able to have them fixed on in a non-permanent way to be able to angle it if I wanted to. The displays in that link that Mini99 posted seem to be kind of vacuum sealed onto the display, so maybe something like that could be done with my one and vacuum them on top of the acrylic?

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 pm

There is already a shortage and price hike for accessories before you weapon hoggers waste them on a figureless display. There is limit to acrylics uses. What next? One for Klaatu skirt variants and folk getting prune face cloaks graded.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Section 8 wrote:There is already a shortage and price hike for accessories before you weapon hoggers waste them on a figureless display. There is limit to acrylics uses. What next? One for Klaatu skirt variants and folk getting prune face cloaks graded.

What a strange thing to say :o People can collect whatever they like. Why not a set of weapons? To me collecting 300 of the same figure is weird but if it's what someone wants to do good luck to them.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Nice idea Sub, how are they attached to the acrylic?
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 pm

I didn't say folk couldn't do it. Stuff like this will create yet another thing to collect and fill. It's hard enough to find am imperial gunner gun or pop up sabre without someone needing a spare one to feed their fascination of putting things in acrylic.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Section 8 wrote:I didn't say folk couldn't do it. Stuff like this will create yet another thing to collect and fill. It's hard enough to find am imperial gunner gun or pop up sabre without someone needing a spare one to feed their fascination of putting things in acrylic.

Isn't this what 'collecting' is all about?, focus collecting in the areas you love the most? :wink: if certain collectables dry up then as long as it's happening due to people's love of the hobby & collecting then that's all good in my opinion. For me it's not collecting them to feed a fascination of putting them in acrylic, I have a fascination in the weapons anyway and the added acrylic just makes the collection look nicer and more displayable, instead of just having weapons randomly sat on a shelf.

@Lindo the weapons aren't stuck down, I just have them placed loose on the block, and eventually i'll be getting an extra acrylic display unit to put more figures in and this little blaster collection will be sitting nicely inside that anyway and won't be moved around etc.
Last edited by subzero on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 pm

subzero wrote:
Section 8 wrote:I didn't say folk couldn't do it. Stuff like this will create yet another thing to collect and fill. It's hard enough to find am imperial gunner gun or pop up sabre without someone needing a spare one to feed their fascination of putting things in acrylic.

Isn't this what 'collecting' is all about? :wink: For me it's not collecting them to feed a fascination of putting them in acrylic, I have a fascination in the weapons anyway and the added acrylic just makes the collection look nicer and more displayable, instead of just having weapons randomly sat on a shelf.

@Lindo the weapons aren't stuck down, I just have them placed loose on the block, and eventually i'll be getting an extra acrylic display unit to put more figures in and this little blaster collection will be sitting nicely inside that anyway and won't be moved around etc.

would be worth while seeing if you can think of a way of securing them without sticking them down, them you would be able to stand it up, that would look better than lying down. Might be something as simple as a small spindle glued to the acrylic at each end of the weapon so they can sit freely, if you know what I mean
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am

Lindo wrote:
subzero wrote:

Isn't this what 'collecting' is all about? :wink: For me it's not collecting them to feed a fascination of putting them in acrylic, I have a fascination in the weapons anyway and the added acrylic just makes the collection look nicer and more displayable, instead of just having weapons randomly sat on a shelf.

would be worth while seeing if you can think of a way of securing them without sticking them down, them you would be able to stand it up, that would look better than lying down. Might be something as simple as a small spindle glued to the acrylic at each end of the weapon so they can sit freely, if you know what I mean

I was half thinking about just using a tiny dot of blu-tac to stick each weapon to it if I was to ever angle it, I suppose it would only need to be at a slight angle to be effective like at 15 or 20 degrees, instead of at 45 degrees or more.

Ross_Barr
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ross_Barr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm

subzero wrote:@Bonsai_Tree_Ent - Haha yes I did get a little upset when I set all the blasters on and looked at the empty Endor blaster space.

@Robstyley - I was actually wondering of a way to be able to have them fixed on in a non-permanent way to be able to angle it if I wanted to. The displays in that link that Mini99 posted seem to be kind of vacuum sealed onto the display, so maybe something like that could be done with my one and vacuum them on top of the acrylic?

I am part owner of CAS and would be thrilled to work with you to help you make the display you want. Any questions, send me a pm or reach me on Facebook messenger.

Mini99 wrote:Nice way to show off these weapons, good idea.

Thanks, Mini99!

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Ross_Barr wrote:
subzero wrote:@Bonsai_Tree_Ent - Haha yes I did get a little upset when I set all the blasters on and looked at the empty Endor blaster space.

I am part owner of CAS and would be thrilled to work with you to help you make the display you want. Any questions, send me a pm or reach me on Facebook messenger.

Mini99 wrote:Nice way to show off these weapons, good idea.

Thanks, Mini99!

Cheques in the post? :lol:
No problems Ross, I honestly thought that this display was amazing, great job.

Ross_Barr
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ross_Barr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Mini99 wrote:
Cheques in the post? :lol:
No problems Ross, I honestly thought that this display was amazing, great job.

If we get any additional of those displays to do as a result of this thread and your comments, you get one free loose figure graded by us, how about that? :D

As for that check....... :?:

To be honest, that display is one of my favorite things we have ever done for a collector.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”