Header image

An amazing TV spot from ABC news, November 30th 1978.

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Simply Sci-fi
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

An amazing TV spot from ABC news, November 30th 1978.

Postby Simply Sci-fi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 pm

A friend of mine shared this with me on Facebook. I'm not sure if it's been discussed here before, but it took my breath away.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/lin ... d=33479285
Last edited by Simply Sci-fi on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: An amazing TV spot from ABC news, November 30th 1978.

Postby tobedesu » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 pm

I've seen the clip of the boxing of the x-wing before.
They didn't mess about back then with throwing stuff around.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Darth Bobby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 am

Wow that's amazing. How bored do the people on the production line look? Little did they know how in demand that stuff would be. They had no idea. R2 is still going strong 40 years later mate! Very interesting.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am

"I think it could be another Disney in 50 years from now"...... it IS Disney haha :lol: how weird is that?!

Also those poor, poor workers, iv'e worked on plastic automated production/packing lines before years ago and they're fucking horrible. You can't do anything to halt the line you need to keep up with it, badly need the toilet?.. nope stay and work, desperately need to go and ask someone a question?.. nope can't do that either, badly need a drink of water from the machine?.. nope you must wait till break so you can move, need to stretch your arms n scratch your arse?.. do it and see what happens lol :lol:

Imagine how pushed those workers must have been with Star Wars toys back then, it's the stuff of nightmares!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I bet those workers look at Star Wars toys in a different way. Probably some sort of post traumatic stress disorder kicks in.

Those are the sort of jobs that just look like slavery. There's one woman on there who really looks like she's dead inside.

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

x-pack wrote:I bet those workers look at Star Wars toys in a different way. Probably some sort of post traumatic stress disorder kicks in.

Those are the sort of jobs that just look like slavery. There's one woman on there who really looks like she's dead inside.

The best part about doing jobs like this is home time and weekends :lol:

And in every factory there's always that one div who loves the job and is genuinely happy to be there, iv'e always concluded that there's something wrong with those people upstairs :?

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:52 pm

When I left school, I ad a summer job before heading off to do A'Levels working for Bluebird Toys... I was on the Big Red Fun Bus line (they also made the Big Yellow Teapot), my job was the same as the woman 16 seconds in, but my screwdriver hanging from the ceiling was to screw the spare wheel door on the rear... most mind numbing 4 weeks of my life. All the women on the line hated me too, as being 15/16 I was still keen and therefore too quick, made them all do more than they normally did! :lol:
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

subzero
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby subzero » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 pm

SAVORY100 wrote:When I left school, I ad a summer job before heading off to do A'Levels working for Bluebird Toys... I was on the Big Red Fun Bus line (they also made the Big Yellow Teapot), my job was the same as the woman 16 seconds in, but my screwdriver hanging from the ceiling was to screw the spare wheel door on the rear... most mind numbing 4 weeks of my life. All the women on the line hated me too, as being 15/16 I was still keen and therefore too quick, made them all do more than they normally did! :lol:

Middle aged+ workers are usually like this in plastics factories for some reason, they're very clicky environments and they hate young newcomers :lol: they like to have the exact same cushy slow paced jobs for years and want nothing changed to it.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”