What's the most confusing toy?

subzero

Sith Lord
This one kinda bugs me a bit whenever I see it, I mean cummon'... the Imperials in their own Hoth attack base?.... where the Rebel's secret hideout base was located?, so now apparently the Rebels are seeking THEM out on Hoth instead? :?

Why not just bring this out as a Rebel base?

What do you think is the toy that bugs you the most ( figure/ship/playset ) that wasn't true to the original trilogy?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,312

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I hadn't considered any SW toys as confusing until this point. Some daft, yes, but not confusing.

However, this does qualify. How, for a start, can you have a base that attacks things? From the earliest concept it is a defensive structure. Also, good point on the whole Imperial thing. They would have totally got away with this had it been "Hoth Rebel Base" or perhaps even "Hoth Rebel Trench", but to have the Imperials build a base on Hoth, designed to attack anything is daft.

Still, a very cool set so you many not diss it :D

yoda

Sith Lord
Yes I never looked at that playset that way its a good point. I wonder was the thinking idea in the design that we would have more fun and playtime attacking the base with the good guys?? Knocking down the snow bridge and causing destruction on top of Vader and his army?? It doesn't make sense as you say it should be the rebels base?

subzero

Sith Lord
Oh yeah haha I hadn't even thought of it from that angle either, Imperial ATTACK base, it should at least be called an Imperial 'defence' base, or just Imperial base, it's not like it grows legs and turns into an AT-AT to attack the Rebel Hoth base or anything :lol:

Now it's even more confusing! :shock:

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Without any evidence to back it up, I've long suspected that the toy was designed as a Rebel trench and if that's the case it was a pretty poor move. One of the major play features is the fact that it can be destroyed (just as in the film). Young boys though prefer to blow up the enemy than their good guy figures. I can't think of another toy where boys are meant to destroy their own side. You can blow the wings off of a TIE Fighter but not the X-Wing!

The other playset from Hoth, the Turret and Probot always confused me as a child. Having watched the film, I knew that the Probot never came anywhere near the base and if you wanted to recreate the Hoth Battle, you had the robot sitting there. You could remove it but it left an ugly looking spindle there (maybe the spindle could have have been used to mount a gun as well). I always thought it should have been two separate play sets.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Simply Sci-fi said:
Without any evidence to back it up, I've long suspected that the toy was designed as a Rebel trench and if that's the case it was a pretty poor move. One of the major play features is the fact that it can be destroyed (just as in the film). Young boys though prefer to blow up the enemy than their good guy figures. I can't think of another toy where boys are meant to destroy their own side. You can blow the wings off of a TIE Fighter but not the X-Wing!

The other playset from Hoth, the Turret and Probot always confused me as a child. Having watched the film, I knew that the Probot never came anywhere near the base and if you wanted to recreate the Hoth Battle, you had the robot sitting there. You could remove it but it left an ugly looking spindle there (maybe the spindle could have have been used to mount a gun as well). I always thought it should have been two separate play sets.
You've practically taken the words out of my mouth! I felt exactly the same way about the Turret and Probot playset as a child, right down to the ugly spindle which had no business being there when the Probot wasn't! :lol:

However, I'm also going to propose both 'The Jabba the Hutt Dungeon Action Playsets'. In addition to being piss-poor play items in themselves (obviously the 3 figures were the only good things about them), they were also nothing like any part of Jabba's Palace (dungeon or otherwise) that we saw on screen. Obviously as an adult, I now understand what was actually going on with the creation of those two feeble playsets; they were very cheap re-purposings of the Kenner Droid Factory base and crane to curl out quick and easy steaming exclusives for Sears. But as a child, not only were the playsets rubbish, but Kenner also made zero effort to make them look anything like the thing they named them! There are no prison cells, no doors, no corridor, no torture chamber or torture rack... there isn't even a ceiling (as essential element of any dungeon, IMHO)! There was no anything we saw from the dungeon in the film! And surely having the brass neck to label such a do-nothing POS an 'Action' playset must contravene some sort of Misrepresentation of Goods Act!

'The Jabba the Hutt Dungeon Action Playsets'... both crap and confusing.

JTHDAP.jpg

subzero

Sith Lord
Simply Sci-fi said:
Young boys though prefer to blow up the enemy than their good guy figures. I can't think of another toy where boys are meant to destroy their own side. You can blow the wings off of a TIE Fighter but not the X-Wing!

That's true, what young boy doesn't want to be the hero?, most do.. but I think I was the only weirdo though who wanted to be R2 :lol:

The Jabba Dungeon really is **** haha, it might as well show a mini rig going down that ramp on the box art just to finish off the confusion!

And that Bender is just all kinds of wrong! :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
The AtAt perhaps, what with a total lack of ground access to any point inside it. I think this is something a child would have been aware of. Quite a few ships had mystifying access problems but none so much as the high up walker. They missed a trick with the imperial Endor base, the only on screen indication of how troops access the AtAt

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
A very good point. I had never considered the height of the AT-AT being a problem for a child's play – I never had one when I was that age. Kenner missed a trick in not having a corresponding playset to aid the Imperial's access to the machine, especially as you pointed out, in Return of the Jedi we actually see a landing platform.

I think that Kenner Star Wars range was extremely lacking in playsets overall, especially as Paltoy showed that a substantial toy could be made out of cardboard. My mind boggles when I start thinking about modular Death Star sections, Imperial bunkers, Echo Base, etc.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I was confused by the Imperial Attack Base as a child too.

Like Craig, I think it was designed to be part of the Rebel Base. That grey doorway thing is like something we see at the entrance to the control room and later on Vader and the troopers go through it or one similar. Also, with there being a Turret set too it might have been a good idea to refassion it as a baddies playset along the way.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
chipsteak said:
I was confused by the Imperial Attack Base as a child too.

Like Craig, I think it was designed to be part of the Rebel Base. That grey doorway thing is like something we see at the entrance to the control room and later on Vader and the troopers go through it or one similar. Also, with there being a Turret set too it might have been a good idea to refassion it as a baddies playset along the way.

Great point about the doorway in the Rebel base looking like the one on the toy. Maybe the Kenner people had the idea of kids blowing the wall down and have Vader stride through the command centre wreckage. There was a cut scene where a big chunk of falling ice just misses Vader (portrayed by the pop up book) and kids could have recreated that when Vader reaches the ice bridge. I think it was meant to be a big, memorable moment from the film and I can imagine Kenner being incensed when it didn't appear.

I can imagine the TV commercial voice over: "Darth Vader invades the Rebel base. The rebels are on the run but will Vader survive the falling ice? (Freeze frame of falling bridge over Vader) Only you can decide, with Star Wars toys."

subzero

Sith Lord
Sabreman said:
The Rubik's cube, I just can't complete it

My brother can complete one in under 1 minute every time, he says there's a 'knack' to it but I don't believe him I think it's a trick, iv'e seen him actually do it and I still think he's lying lol.

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Sabreman said:

My brother can complete one in under 1 minute every time, he says there's a 'knack' to it but I don't believe him I think it's a trick, iv'e seen him actually do it and I still think he's lying lol.

I can't finish it either but it is possible to do if you are capable of memorizing the proper sequence of the moves. I watched this little guy before on the link below. It's amazing what the mind is capable of doing.
https://youtu.be/wy5vpOkwOro

subzero

Sith Lord
yoda said:
subzero said:
Sabreman said:

I can't finish it either but it is possible to do if you are capable of memorizing the proper sequence of the moves. I watched this little guy before on the link below. It's amazing what the mind is capable of doing.
https://youtu.be/wy5vpOkwOro

Haha I watched that a few weeks ago, I just don't get how anybody can do that.

My brother told me to finish one you need to get all the corners first then it's apparently a piece of cake from there to finish it.

I just don't get how someone can do it blindfolded and know where each colour is, and do it super fast too!

Johnny_Fett

Youngling
Looking at them now, as I never even knew they were Star Wars toys as a kid, it's mini rigs, the INT-4 and MTV-7 especially. The INT-4 makes me think of father teds spider baby, it's got the head of an AT-AT and the wings of a baby. And as for the MTV I just don't get it, wheels and imperials don't mix in my mind, would darth vader roll in it, nope.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Ha. I never owned a PDT as a kid but I couldn't get an image of Artoo and Threepio ski-ing down snow slopes on Hoth. The daftest of all the mini rigs.

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
I just don't get how someone can do it blindfolded and know where each colour is, and do it super fast too!

What are you trying to say that you don't believe he's using the force! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom